1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lagan Estuary, Belfast

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by AdrianSadlier, Aug 21, 2021.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

[​IMG]River Lagan Estuary by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

I was away in the North of Ireland for a few days break. I tried a panorama of the Lagan River estuary, (right to left) encompassing the SSE Arena, the Harland & Wolfe shipyards, the Titanic Quarter and beyond. Hard to see the detail at this size but the original will print 68" x 17" (on my printer).

I like it because it is of the place where I was born and to me, tells of some of the history of the place (including the grey skies).

But does it convey any of that or is it just a technical exercise which proves I can do big panoramas handheld?

Your feedback (no matter how brutal) is appreciated.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I like the composition and the shapes, but they're quite dark. I know it's a dark overcast scene, but it makes it difficult to really see what's going on in the buildings at this size (or on Flickr).

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  3. AdrianSadlier

Trouble is, the jpg file (original) is 67Mb in size. I don't know of any platform that allows people to view the full size image, other than something like Google Drive. I have uploaded the full image at
    for anyone who wants to see the full detail. It is quite detailed :)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think it works well. The trouble with panoramas is that you need a wall! A conventional 21" monitor isn't going to do it justice, a print is really the way to go.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think it has to mean more to you than to others. There is not a lot that might qualify it as a "good" industrial landscape and as a record, the light is against it. I'm itching to turn it left a bit to get more of the building on the left, lose the blank area to right and get the outlet on the third.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

For the record, I still think it's too dark even at full size.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I would agree with other comments about it being a little too dark for printing and display, but how easy it is to get this right may depend on your PC monitor's settings and the lighting in the room where it's used.

Perhaps you could only lighten the lower two thirds of the image, leaving the dark sky at the top unchanged, and experiment with small prints before doing the large print. It would certainly look impressive at 68 x 17 inches, but I hate to think about the cost of a decent frame or mount for it.

8. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

I am slightly disappointed the reflection of that mast thing is cut off.
    I will also say that I routinely shoot handheld panoramas and they work fine I have even shot them from a moving helicopter
    The lower half should be darker than the upper half that is how it happens in nature

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

You should have called up for a cup of tea! I used to cycle past here on the days when I was still going in to the office. I agree that it looks a little dark. You could bring the shadows up in Lightroom.

10. AdrianSadlier

Guys, thanks for all the feedback and input.

I like the image, and I think it would print well, if printed large. But, to be honest, that is probably based on "I got the best out of what was available at the time". No real excuse for a sub standard shot. Technically, I did a good job. But you are right - the conditions were not there at the time(or I did not use then well enough).

So I will chalk it down as somewhere to re-visit when I am next in Belfast, and if the conditions are right.

Thanks for keeping me grounded and not accepting "Mehh" as good enough!

Adrian

11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

It's definitely a morning shot. The sun rises to the right of the shot and looks great if you get the right clouds.