1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Lady of Spain....

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Nikonchris, May 19, 2017.

1. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

I put this accidentally in the exhibition lounge but actually welcome critique as its always useful....

Anyway was at the Seville Feria in early may and came across this lovely lady who agreed to pose for a shot or two...

Hope I have done her justice!

[​IMG]Guapa Sevilla. May 02, 2017 SEV_0605.jpg by Chris Connorton, on Flickr

2. Christopher David Tansley

Christopher David Tansley Well-Known Member

I'm not right sure what to at about this, except that I like it. Without sounding rude, has the camera caught her half blinking in one eye?

3. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

the curtains top left and right really draw the eye from her. I'd crop it portrait 4x5.

For me she looks a bit too warm - a similar effect to a gold reflector. I'd dial that down slightly.

Also a shame you missed out the rest of her right hand.

4. Nikonchris

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is better - less lopsided - but shame she moved half-a step to her left.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Curtains were meant to be opened and closed:

[​IMG]

Nikonchris and EightBitTony like this.
  7. Nikonchris

Clever stuff...thanks Mike....I assume you cropped the left side...her right and layered in the curtain. Would that be the way to do it?

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I rather crudely selected it, copied and then pasted after cropping. Then flattened the layer.

9. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Hope I have done her justice!

Well, from a photographic perspective, not badly at all, but to properly answer your question I have to ask in return, "Did she invite you in?"

10. Nikonchris

LOL....no I didn't have my Cordoban hat with me.....

11. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

My eyes were drawn not by the curtains or the half blinking eye... :cool:

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yes. Those flowers in her hair are very eye catching, aren't they :cool:

Roger Hicks likes this.
  13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I think he may have been referring to the fact that her...er....how can I put this? Her puddings were boiling over - if you see what I mean (and I'm sure that you do).

Cheers, Jeff

14. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

This is a picture that I keep coming back to up to a point where I have to say something about it, the only concern I have is the curtains they simple get in the way of this lovely portrait. Which I like very much......

15. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I keep popping back for different reasons................

16. Nikonchris

luisport likes this.
  17. luisport

Hard to hide what will often make of this picture a roll down eyer. The "muffins" as above mentioned compete with the portrait. Why not the bust take and let the viewer imagine the face? Or viceversa, it wouldn't be that eye anchoring though.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  18. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Ahhhh that's better now lets get to work on the skin tones! which is going to be hard, the face just don't look natural and I am quite sure you could improve on this. I still like it though regardless what you do to it.

19. luisport

20. Nikonchris

She looks great om my Mac but when it gets into Flickr it goes all warm and gooey and then again when i look at my monitor at work....so i have not reference point except the Mac which i do trust more than the others.

I will see what I can do tonight.

Yes I know that but as she was offering them up it would be churlish of me to then cut them out....!