1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak kills slide film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Benchista, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Sadly I think we have to say a fond goodbye to Kodachrome and move on. Even if there was a market for Kodachrome the cost and complexity of processing it make it unviable in a modern business.

At one time it was common practice for big businesses to subsidise certain flagship products as loss leaders, but other than VW Audi (with the Veyron), such business models are now unaffordable and unfashionable.

I am keen to use film for as long as I can, but I am also mindful of the fact that the raw materials used in colour film production are hazardous, expensive and in finite supply. Likewise, processing chemistry. In this regard, many high street processing labs are now moving to 'dry processing' and inkjet printing to avoid the problems of buying, storing, maintaining, and disposing of hazardous processing chemicals.

However, arguing on an internet forum will do nothing to protect film from obsolescence. if you really want film to survive, go out and buy some, take photographs on it, get it processed and enjoy! There is no point being nostalgic for film or shedding tears for it if you only ever shoot photos on a DSLR. :(