1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak kills slide film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Benchista, Mar 2, 2012.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I have been lucky on Amazon and grabbed some Kodak EliteChrome. Given the use by dates might order some more for use in 2013-14. :)

But even my Jessops are saying Kodak slide is not around anymore. They can get Fuji.

My real concern is E6 developing starting to shutdown. :(

While Fuji are still making E6 film that should keep going. Finger crossed.

Now I know my Tokina 28-70mm lens is ok for shooting I am all set for some fun. :D

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

On slide film, I think supply will become erratic even if manufacture is continued. Eventually, it may get to the point where it is treated like ultra-large format and some infra-red b&w film: you have to put a bid in for what you want by a deadline each year and then wait for it to be made and delivered to your local dealer.

3. 0lybacker

I beg your pardon, and thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten the volte-face from Kodak.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No worries - I wish it was you that was right! I still have a few rolls of Extracolor left - the blue sky out there is tempting me...:D

5. P_Stoddart

Well just ordered two rolls of Kodak 100G slide film. Amazon was only reporting 8 left. :(

If you a Kodak slide film fan better get out there. :rolleyes:

6. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I have just read a bit on an American Photo Forum (APUG.com) that Kodak are killing All their film section to concentrate on others. Now if this is true and I have no reason to believe otherwise then there is a huge opportunity for a takeover. Bring back some of their oldies and goodies such as

HIE Infra Red, Technical Pan and dare I say it Kodachrome. Also what about their B&W papers, they were good too.

7. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Dream on, you won't get the finance to restart production without the market, and the market has moved on. Whether the market has moved forwards or backwards is debatable but moot.

8. 0lybacker

It should be remembered that there are all sorts of markets. Mature markets, existing markets, peak markets, created (opportunity) markets ... :)

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

So far as most companies are concerned there is only one market they can serve, a profitable one.

Kodak may or may not be taking the course of action mentioned, but many forum posters post their opinions as being fact. Certainly the reversal emulsions have gone, but it doesn't follow that the rest will, the market for monochrome films is a niche one, but it is there. Simply the bulk of colour users have moved to digital capture and anyone who thinks there is a potential for any sustained or appreciable renaissance is surely in delusion.

10. photostephen

photostephen Member

It has now been reported that Kodak is selling off the remaining Kodak film products here ;- http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j.../news/2200811/kodak-to-sell-off-film-division

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^Indeed, but at the time I posted my remarks this information was not available. As such they were reasonable at that time.

They are trying to sell, but there is of course the quite likely possibility that there may not be a buyer out there. Quite simply the analogue photography market is now much diminished and is something of a niche area now. As such the main player is Fuji, who are still marketing a reduced range of materials, but it is quite likely that the most healthy traditional photographic market is in black and white materials. From the point of view of users of these materials some competition would be a good thing, but when Kodak culled their reversal products the writing was quite clearly on the wall.

12. 0lybacker

True, but under that broad head it sub-divides as I have listed.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, but film these days isn't any of them - it's a niche market. Quite possible that a more agile company than Kodak can make a go of film in such circumstances - it's probably actually a good thing for film users - but some of the discontinued films are very unlikely to ever be profitable again, especially Kodachrome (or "Somethingelseachrome", as we would have to call it. ;)).

14. 0lybacker

I posted not my opinion but the news relayed by AP.

I have never suggested anywhere that the bulk of colour users have not moved to digital capture.

I shall be grateful for an apology for the first above together with, secondly, your confirmation that you accept that I have not posted anywhere that the majority of photographers use anything other than digital for colour or for black & white for that matter.

15. 0lybacker

For somone who his quick and keen to be rude to other posters and dismiss them and what they have written as being rubbish, I have great pleasure, mate, in pointing out that what you have written - in current context - is a load of old Lomosh! ;) :)

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I am unable to find a reference by yourself in this thread to the announcement by Kodak that relates to me, photostephen was the poster for that item. Your posting was with mention of types of market, my response being that a manufacturer needs a profitable market. I did not make any reference to yourself or name anybody with regard to posters presenting opinion as being fact, that was a general comment about forums as a whole. I agree you have not claimed otherwise over most photographers using digital, then again I never made any claim that you have that I can recall.

You seem to be becoming quite heated about this, I notice your response to Benchista above, like myself he tends to post what he thinks, on occasion upsetting people in the process.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  17. P_Stoddart

Sorry Benchista is right. You need to know the technology. Kodachrome is very very complex to process.

Read up on the technology then comment is my advice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachrome

The dye is add later in the mix. It also requires very careful QC. All that cost alot of money.

It is only viable with large volumes of processing. Once the number of films going through a lab falls it start losing money.

I reckon if a independent took it on say ACMEchrome. Then you might be looking at say £30-40 maybe more a roll of 36.

You going to pay that then?

Unlike E6 which even at the height of KC was already causing problem because E6 is a straightforward processing system and can even be done at home.

Now if E6 cannot get any grip in a the market KC does not stand a chance I am afraid. Does not matter how much I love the film. It's not going to return. Somethings die and that is it. :(

I think E6 might survive as a niche product. But the cost will have to reflect it small market. Some companies might do a deal. In that you pay say £20 a roll with processing included.

MF film cameras say 6x7 might keep E6 production alive. Because slow E6 can still hold up against digital backs.

You should be able to get at least 100MP from say 120 velvia 50ISO.

Nothing and I am serious nothing can touch a 5x4" sheet film E6 shot. So while sheet film is coming off a production line. It is possible to convert some sheets to short rolls of 35mm or a 3rd party buy 5x4 rolls before cutting and cut and encase for 35mm.

Trouble is 5x4" is very niche. :(

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

QED. I would just say that if you bother to go back through the thread, who started the rudeness? (I'll give you a clue, check out post No 35 in the thread).

Now if you can post exactly what I said in my last post that you disagree with, never mind anything that's actually wrong, and why you disagree with it, then we can have a sensible debate - the problem is that your modus operandi in this thread has been to rave incoherently at people when you disagree with them (for instance, I suspect you meant the opening lines of your post to refer to me, rather than you as you actually wrote it). You've written absolutely nothing in this thread that shows you understand the difficulties inherent in the Kodachrome developing process, and when that subject has been raised, you've just been rude to however has mentioned it - please, please do some background reading on the process before you comment further, and decide for yourself if it genuinely could be profitable in any way. I just can't see how it possibly could - it really would be a niche product in this day and age, with massive problems for processing, never mind production of the film itself. I really fail to see how you can't understand that if you know anything about the product beyond the myth. And for the record, if someone could actually bring back Kodachrome 25, I would love to shoot a roll or two, but of all the films that have died, for complexity reasons I cannot ever see it happening with Kodachrome. Maybe a couple of musicians can do a job on it in a bathroom, but surely not on a commercial scale. ;)

{Edit} I think young Mr Stoddart has summed it up very nicely. If you disagree, please point out why so we can have a serious debate.

19. photostephen

photostephen Member

I think we all have to face the fact that all forms of colour film are on the way out, colour film and its processing is expensive, once you have a digital camera and the software the costs are zero unless you produce a print and much more convenient. colour film no longer has any advantage over digital and the dynamic range of digital is far greater than slide films and still greater than colour negative. once people fully realise this colour films will have no market.

Black and white film is different! it costs less, it is easy and inexpensive to process and in my opinion still has some advantage over digital black and white and there is the link with a long history of photography that goes right back to the beginning in 1835, that may be nostalgia but there is nothing wrong in that, on my website I have some further information you may like to have a look at and comment on;- http://www.stephenwhiteheadphotographer.me.uk/developing-black-and-white-film.html and also here;- http://www.stephenwhiteheadphotographer.me.uk/using-film-in-the-digital-age.html

As things stand at the moment black and white film does seem to have become more popular and its simplicity and convenience of processing may well assure it use and availability for some considerable time yet, perhaps it will always be available, but only if the film continues to be purchased otherwise it too will disappear.

20. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Whoah there, even Velvia 50 has more DR than any one-shot colour cameras out there. And films have soft shoulders, not the hard transition to black or burn-out white that digital media have.

Probably only because of the relative ease of processing. Colour processing never really was readily accessible to amateurs, yes I know it was possible but the temperature control needed was more than most people could achieve.