1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodachrome or Velvia

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Neal, Aug 10, 2006.

1. The Circle Of Confusion

The Circle Of Confusion Well-Known Member

Re: Newbie question

Cheers! Believe it or not but that's Newcastle in October/November!

2. Matt_Hunt

Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

Ah, beaten by the CoF.. :cool:

[​IMG]

3. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

In this week's AP there are some landscapes taken on Velvia using a polariser. The one of The Angel Of The North is mad!

4. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Velvia doesn’t have to have lurid colours. In most circumstances I find that Velvia 50 looks quite natural, although the increased saturation often helps to make a slightly dull scene (or day) look interesting, without making it appear too unnatural (if that makes sense)!

Really, its all about perception: One the great arts and joys of photography is visualising how an image will be recorded by the camera, as neither film or digital capture work as well as the human eye. Velvia does tend to exaggerate colours and contrast, so to answer your question, care is needed when using a polariser, especially in very clear conditions, as the sky can be rendered almost black. (This is well illustrated in some of the photos posted above).

Care also needs to be taken in conditions where colour temperature is unusually high or low, as saturated films like Velvia tend to exaggerate any colour cast far more than (say) Provia, or a regular colour print film. I have never been to Bonneville, but I suspect you will need to use a warm up filter if the colour temperature is unusually high there.

Moreover, I find that a Neutral Density Grad filter is almost essential for landscapes when using Velvia, as the dynamic range is quite narrow. Indeed, I often find that a ND Grad looks more natural than a polariser for darkening blue skies, and of course, it isn’t affected by the position of the sun.

I have attached a picture that I took on Velvia 50 using a polariser. Whilst the quality of the screen image is poor, you will see that the sky looks quite natural, whilst the buildings have slightly 'chocolate box' colours which I like. However, also note that the clouds are a bit blown, whilst there is limited shadow detail on the river.

[​IMG]

Ideally, I should have used a ND Grad filter for this shot, but I didn't have one with me at the time.

However, if you've no plans to put on a slide show, you don’t need to limit yourself to transparency film: I have recently been experimenting with Kodak Portra VC 160 colour negative film, which gives very bright and vibrant colours, and has a wider dynamic range than transparency. You can also correct any colour cast at the scanning stage, and can of course adjust saturation in software if you want to.

Finally, I would agree that it would make sense to buy your films in the USA, and to get them developed before flying home, as apart from the airport X-Rays, natural radiation is very much higher at 40,000 feet than at ground level. In this regard, C41 would proably be much quicker and easier to get processed on the high street than E6.

-------------

Nigel.

PS: This is Newcastle in July!!

5. accutron

accutron Member

I have found that older, non multicoated optics, work well with Velvia. You can greatly reduce contrast by overexposing and pull processing...but results can be a bit varied.

6. Matt5791

Matt5791 Member

Whilst Kodachrome does have an uncertain future, I am sure (and correct me if I'm wrong) that it is only Super8 Kodachrome 40 which ceased to be processed by Kodak in Lausanne at the end of this month. Slides continue (and 16mm MP for that matter)

This is because it is an awful lot easier to process stills and the machine is smaller. The Super8 processor is built into the building and is enourmous.

Alternatively there are PDF pages on Kodak's website which explains in detail how to make a Kodachrome processing machine - if anyone fancies it.

7. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Looking here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachrome

it seems that Lausanne is no more and all KodaChrome will be sent to the USofA for developing as of the end of the month.

I think there's another thread somewhere dealing with this.