1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodachrome or Velvia

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Neal, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I'm very into slide film........and particularly over saturadted colours that give that "retro" feel i love.

Obviously with stocks of Velvia 50 dwindling.....what are the alternatives? Velvia 100/100F as good? what about Kodak? Not really used it before...........anyone with any bright contrasty colour images they can show me of the two?

WEe're off to USA next year and want to capture the deep colours of the landscape, as well as the racers at Bonneville.

Thanks a lot

Neal

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Velvia 100 is your best bet. I don't think Kodachrome is much longer for this world - there will be nowhere to process it in Europe from next month, but it doesn't give Velvia colours anyway.

3. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Just after a slide film that gives very vivid saturated colours......any other options?

4. The Circle Of Confusion

The Circle Of Confusion Well-Known Member

As mentioned, Fuji Velvia 100 is very vivid and saturated. Provia is not as 'mad' but the colours are still well saturated.

Kodak do Ektachrome E100VS which is supposed to be vivid but I've never tried it.

5. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Last time I looked, 7daywait had some Velvia left - limited stocks though... should keep in the freezer for next year.

Might be a little slow - even Velvia 100 - for capturing Bonneville racers at speed!

Try a roll or 2 of each of your possible films and see for yourself which you prefer.

6. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Hi

Having a nightmare with 7dayshop at the moment...bought some 120 Velvia 50 nearly 3 weeks ago....still nowt...and they seem very unhelpful about telling me where it is or getting replacement

7. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Almost tempted to take a spare camera loaded with cheap out dated slide film and cross process it.......just for fun.

8. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Try Astia for that.

9. robc

robc Well-Known Member

Velvia - saturated colours and high contrast - exactly what you are after...

10. Steve_Bell

Steve_Bell Well-Known Member

Velvia 50 bought now and frozen would be a good choice, followed by Velvia 100 (not 100F), then Kodak 100VS. Kodak 100Vs is more grainy than the Fuji films, not so important as you go up in format.

If restrictions on aircraft hand luggage continue Neal will have to buy film in the USA, and have it processed there. If it has to go into the aircrafts hold the xray scanners will destroy it. This could be a big problem for all photographers.

11. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

If you don't mind a little grain I would suggest Kodak E100VS or Elite Extra Color. I really like its colours when I want some punchy results. Try it alongside Velvia 100 and see how they go.

Velvia 100F is a bit tame compared to the original, Provia even more so.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Fair summary. I'm just about to use up the last of my Velvia 100F stock - it's been languishing in the fridge since 100 came out - along with a couple of rolls of ExtraColor. The Kodak film is very good, but quite a bit grainier - at one time, I was using a lot of it as it was MUCH cheaper than Velvia and gave a one stop advantage.

Don't think I've got much Provia 100F left - I always rated it at EI 125 for a boost on the colour saturation.

13. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Re: Newbie question

So what happens if you use a polarizer with Velvia?

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Try it!

15. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

That requires the money to a)purchase some Velvia and b) get it developed. Bah! :(

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

OK, then the quick answer is that it can be OTT. I love Velvia, but I tend to keep polariser use just to minimise reflections and glare, rather than for real effect. Otherwise, skies can be almost black. I'll happily use a polariser for Velvia 100F, though.

17. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Isn't that what make photography exciting?

;)

18. Rob_

Rob_ Active Member

The colours become lurid and the contrast factor multiples dramatically so that shadows block up and look like Velvia completely blown over by a zealous Daily Mirror reader.

Honest!

:)

19. The Circle Of Confusion

The Circle Of Confusion Well-Known Member

Velvia and a polariser will give blues that are delicious:

[​IMG]

but as mentioned they can go almost black:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. robc

robc Well-Known Member