1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Key Largo

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by carol227, Feb 13, 2018.

1. carol227

carol227 Active Member

I love the Beach Boys... Great song.... thanks for the memories.....

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Photo brings to mind my own experience of Florida, driving from Orlando to Amelia Island just north of Jacksonville. We stopped at a roadside place selling freshly squeezed orange juice and the chap was desperately trying to tell me that I should also buy one of his PLASTIC seashell nativity scenes as it would become a family heirloom in time. I declined.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

This whole topic of tourism vs. living somewhere has long fascinated me. For over half my life I've lived in "tourist destinations": Cornwall (born there), Malta (4 years), Bermuda (3 years), the California coast (Guadalupe, 5 years), Minnis Bay in Kent, 70 yards from the sea (10 years) and for the last 16 years rural France: our village is very touristy.

Of course all tourist destinations have their good and bad bits, but equally, I'm not sure what you mean by "don't do it." Do you live in Florida? There are lots of pictures of the area in which I live on my .eu website, especially the section entitled La France Profonde. And on my travels (now less frequent than they used to be, because of the decline of magazines) I've always found that behind the superficialities, "tourist destinations" are much like anywhere else, but usually prettier.

Cheers,

R.

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I suspect the 'don't do it' refers to the fact that being anywhere as a tourist is a different experience from the one you'd have living there simply because you're not on holiday then. If your expectations are set up on the basis of what you do on holiday, with all that free time, and the optimum weather conditions and beer money, you may be in for a rude shock when you realise that you still have to get up and go to work, buy groceries, do the ironing, clean toilets and catch the bus. I used to live near San Francisco and part of my husband's job was entertaining the UK visitors to the company. They would often remark that we lived in idyllic life, visiting vineyards, traipsing around Yosemite, nipping over to Alcatraz and cruising around Monterey, Santa Cruz and so on. Well, yes, but only when they were here and we were on expenses. The rest of the time my husband worked weekends as a security guard to ensure that we could afford the rent on our ridiculously expensive 1-bed apartment, and I walked two miles to the nearest supermarket because he had our only car, and every time I walked anywere I got propositioned by drunks with guns en route. Not so idyllic really.

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

South of Market?

Cheers, Jeff

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well I did say 'near' San Francisco, not 'in' it. We lived in Sunnyvale. Most of which was very nice but there were what you might call 'elements' of the local population who were less approachable than others. Mainly the drunk ones with guns.

7. Roger Hicks

Whew! OK.

But then again, because I was brought up in "tourist destinations" (my late father was in the Royal Navy, hence Malta and Bermuda) I never entertained any illusions about the practical side of things. Nor did I spend much time at expensive "attractions" -- and nor do I now.

Cheers,

R.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Which really goes to prove my point. Our visitors seemed to think we spent all our time loafing around 'attractions' and this is why they expressed envy at our living there. Most people who lived there never did any of that stuff, certainly not more than once, because it's for the tourists!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Remember the definition of tourist:

I'm travelling the world,
    You are on holiday,
    They are tourists...

:D

10. carol227

carol227 Active Member

LOL.. No pink Flamingo??

11. carol227

carol227 Active Member

yes... that's it exactly... trying to make ends meet... living in paradise when you have to go to work every day , you get home and are to tried to enjoy anything... I try to set goals to get away and relax a bit... not living like a tourist is tough.. LOL... have a great day...

12. Roger Hicks

Dear Carol,

Probably not exactly paradise, then...

But then, where is?

If it's anywhere, it's in your head or your heart.

Ideally, both.

Cheers,

R.

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Minnis Bay - goodness, I cycled there once from Hernia Bay, though I can't recall anything else about it now. Mind you, I was crazy then - used to walk to Reculver on a Sunday morning and buy breakfast on the way back. And once I cycled to Dungeness...

I did manage to enjoy the "high life", but I'd have got a much better degree if I had digs somewhere less enjoyable. And I was thirty yards from the sea and the same from the pub - beat that for student digs!

Adrian

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Roger Hicks likes this.