1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Key Largo

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by carol227, Feb 13, 2018.

1. carol227

carol227 Active Member

20170503_134505edit.jpg A very inviting colorful gift shop that calls for you to stop in and look around...

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sums it up very well -- which is not necessarily good, given that I loathe the place. Or, it's good because it well sums up why I loathe the place.

Do you know Carl Hiaasen's books? They are perfect summaries of Florida. And very, very funny.

Cheers,

R,

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It looks the sort of place that causes me to make an about turn!

4. carol227

carol227 Active Member

I guess you have to look at it thru a womans eyes.... LOL... They have so much more then this... The seafood is spectacular... to each his own.... Have a good day....

5. Roger Hicks

Excellent seafood (which I do not dispute) does not make up for the general tackiness of Florida. It is merely an amelioration of the drawbacks. Frances agrees, so it ain't just a woman's eyes! We must have spent a few months there together in total, always on business, usually with a few days to a week added on just to explore the place (and to visit her uncle) as well and see if it's as bad as we thought.

It is. Read Hiaasen!

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. carol227

carol227 Active Member

Well since Frances says so.. it must be so.... I guess that's two peoples opinions... But I don't remember asking...

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Gotta have your souvenirs, even if they are made in China. I hear visitors (pilgrims?) to Bobby Fischer's grave in Iceland have been complaining there are no souvenirs to buy. You truck all the way up there and there's nowt to buy!

I am at this moment mass producing identical replicas of the finger bone with which he made the sacrifice that defeated Boris Spassky.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. Roger Hicks

Indeed you did not ask. But you did state that you needed "a woman's eyes". All I was pointing out is that both sexes can regard much of Florida as horribly tacky:: as you say, that's two people's (women's) opinions. So why did you say you needed a woman's eyes, as of that would make a difference?

In all fairness, I did say that it summed up that sort of place perfectly, which makes it (in that sense) a good picture. Then I added that I loathe that sort of place, to which you took exception and said that you needed a woman's eyes...

Cheers,

R.

9. carol227

carol227 Active Member

well actually this photo has to do with colors and not souvenirs .... I did not know this was a thread intended to discuss the like sand dislikes of members about certain states in the USA... this is a photography forum... I didn't post this photo to debate the likes and dislikes of Florida....

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You ought to be grateful it hasn't descended into Brexit or the RPS.:)
    Nice colours by the way.

11. carol227

carol227 Active Member

thank you... all I wanted to is post a nice photo that caught my eye at the time... not a debate about your personal likes and dislikes of certain states... why can't we just stick with photography...

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's the internatter. People are free to take the discussion wherever they wish.

13. Roger Hicks

What are you actually complaining about? From my first post, "Sums it up very well". From my second, "it summed up that sort of place perfectly". This strikes me as pretty close to discussing the photography. If you want more detail, here it is:

It's a tacky souvenir shop cum bar, with a cheap fence and faded signs that have seen better days. It's the sort of place that anyone who has been to Florida has seen a thousand times. The photographic style is (if you're making reference to art movements) somewhat akin to the Duesseldorf/ Becher/ Neue Sachlichkeit school, though In my view rather more interesting because it's not absolutely square-on. Alternatively it brings to mind Sally Euclaire's The New Color Photography (1981). All of this is what makes it good.

The Exhibition lounge is however for "...images for content-related discussion - NOT technical/artistic critique." I was commenting on content. Remember: you have no control over how people react to your pictures. What you see as charming and colourful may well be seen by others in a different light. What do you actually WANT us to say?

Cheers,

R.

14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Whenever somebody mentions Key Largo to me I immediately think of Edward G Robinson being shaved.

Not very useful in the context of the picture, but truthful nonetheless.

Cheers, Jeff

15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes we do wander about a bit. Especially when we're not invited to critique the shot, but to comment on what it shows. For myself, I think whether one likes a place or not is completely irrelevant to whether one takes a shot that represents it. Yes busy colourful places like that do tempt you to enter, if you happen to be there in the first place.

I'd go down there just to see. Never ventured past Key Biscayne, but I'm sure I'd snap that place. Sitting out with a beer at Sundays on the Bay, if it is still there, used to be a nice thing to do. South Beach has a lot of shots, but for the most part of Florida, I'm afraid I'm with Roger, but maybe less vehement. :)

16. carol227

carol227 Active Member

South Beach has lost to shot if you like naked woman sunbathing... LOL... all tourists areas have the good and the bad... How may tourists have said... I would love to live here... don't do it... It's so different when you are not a tourist and having fun... thanks for the comment... It's just a pic... like it or not... pretty harmless...

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Does that mean you need to get lost to find the naked woman or does it mean South Beach got lost along with the naked woman who was sunbathing? I think we should be told.

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It means you need to get lost lots

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  19. carol227

carol227 Active Member

The original boat "African Queen" resides in Key Largo...
    Typo... Lots of naked woman sunbathing I'm lost... LOL...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

[​IMG]

20. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Key Largo always brings this to mind......

spinno likes this.