1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Keeping up with the youngsters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Aug 5, 2020.

1. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

In a slightly similar vein, some years ago my uncle "forgot" his car. He parked it in the local multi storey car park and when he returned from shopping, it had gone. He reported it stolen to the police and his insurers. About 10 days later, another nephew was in the same car park and spotted the car. It turns out my uncle was convinced he parked on level 2, whereas it was on the next level up!

2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Not an abbreviation, but relevant, nonetheless.

At age 4, success is . . . not piddling in your pants.
    At age 12, success is . . . having friends.
    At age 17, success is . . . having a driver’s license.
    At age 35, success is . . . having money.
    At age 50, success is . . . having money.
    At age 70, success is . . . having a driver’s license.
    At age 75, success is . . . having friends.
    At age 80, success is . . . not piddling in your pants.

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

The garage man just called me. He wanted to be forgiven for laughing as well!!

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I once parked a company car in a multi storey then found that I had forgotten not only where I'd left it but what colour/make/model it was. This was before remote locking. Took ages to find it.

Catriona likes this.
  5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Sorry if this turns out too long . We oldies like to reminisce.
    Some time ago I got back to Heathrow long term car park to find my car gone. The car park manager wouldn't call the police until he had checked the whole car park twice, once for my car and once for my wife's - in case I had forgotten which car I had arrived in. Then he did call the police.
    The policeman went through the same rigmarole.
    We had just done an overnight from Joberg and the above took hours. You can imagine that we were quite grumpy by the time we were free to go.

The sequel upset me. My insurers said that after six weeks they would write off the car and I could get another. After 5.5 weeks I lined up a s/h Merc that had been used by the wife of the owner of the dealership. It was a great deal and a lovely car.
    After 5.99999 weeks the police rang. We have found your car - no wheels and no interior. The insurance company said that it was repairable. I was upset.

Sorry to bore you but there was a sequel to the sequel. The car was actually a company car on which I paid tax. At the time I was spending four or five days of every week out of the UK. During the six weeks above plus about another six weeks of repair time I rented small cars for two to four days a week. I tried to tell the tax man that my 'benefit' was less than he thought because I was using very much smaller/cheaper cars for about half the time I was using my 'proper' car. I wanted to pay less tax. The taxman thought that I should pay more tax. The fight went on for almost a year and I won!!

MickLL

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Catriona likes this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I parked my car on the roof of the multi-story car park at Birmingham Airport before a business trip a few years ago. When I got back, I went to the roof of the car park, no car. In fact no cars at all. I puzzled for about 10 minutes, then went to look at the slightly lower roof level on the other side of the car park. No car. In fact again, no cars at all. I was really confused by this time, and walked to the edge. Looked over at the multi-story car park next door, and there was my car....

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Many years ago, late 60s, I went with my Mother to visit an aunt in the Royal Marsden hospital, when we came out we couldn’t find the car. At the time there were several squares in which one could park, just shows how long ago that was, we were in the wrong square.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

A friend used a good one today:

CRAFT - can't remember a flipping* thing

I'm assuming the F was flipping.

9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Your mobility, flatulence, competence and continence in old age, are likely to return to what they were like when you were a toddler! - You may also be dribbling and wearing a bib!

AndyTake2 and John Farrell like this.