1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping Ilfosol 3

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by steveandthedogs, Feb 22, 2018.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Chances are that everyone else has known this for years, but I only found out about it last year.

Ilfosol 3 goes off in about four months once opened, but a tip I was given was to use one of those wine-keeper vacuum stoppers and it worked - I deliberately used a bottle very slowly and it has kept usable for well over six months.

May work for other liquid developers.

S

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

That's a new one on me - opened wine never seems to last long in this house:) and we do not need to keep that technology handy.The trick that used to go the rounds is to fill the bottle with marbles as one removed the developer..

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I tried that once. Ended up with a lot of very sticky brown balls! :D

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for the previous two threads on keeping Ilfosol...

Cheers, Jeff

5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

That's what I used to do until I lost my marbles !:confused:

First call photographic sell some chemicals in a flexable squeezy pack , like you can get fruit juice in . as you use it you squeeze the air out before putting the lid on .
    I'm using a pack of Rodinal from them like this now .

Done_rundleCams and RogerMac like this.
  6. shendy

shendy Member

The wine-stopper thing is a top tip.
    If you want some decent brown bottles to store chemicals in, Aldi's organic Prosecco comes in something very suitable and has the advantage of being quite enjoyable to empty. ;)
    The FirstCall squeezy packs is a very smart move - I ordered some stuff from them last week and picked one up as I wanted some Rodinal.

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Wine bottles? I'm British, sir, beer is my drink!

I've tried the squeezy packs, can't get on with them, too fiddly and I tend to spill stuff when I get hold of them.

S

8. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

It does seem to go off quickly, mine started to yellow and 'NIFF' a bit but I still used it and the results were OK. I switched to D76 and just weigh out half the amount and store the remainder until needed. Liquid develops are more convenient and I'm not offering my method as advice just my own method..

9. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

Wine bottles tend to get emptied quite rapidly when I'm about!