1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Kath's 12 from 2019

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Geren, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

In spite of starting the year out with a project that ended up being exhibited in Edinburgh, I haven't really felt that this has been my best year photographically. My 'day' job has been quite full on and I had an upturn in the number of clients and repeat business from existing clients for product photography which was fantastic but it has meant that the stuff I do 'for me' has taken a bit of a backseat. So for what it's worth, this has been my year.

January

January.jpg

I'd been messing around with some ideas based on the idea of getting out into the wilderness for the benefits of my own mental health for a while. It all sort of came together in a project that I later exhibited in Edinburgh and called Nearly There, Yet. The idea behind it was that if you don't have the finances to support travel, or the fitness to climb mountains, you have to make the best of the nearly but not quite wilderness/nature/greenspace that you have. I'd done a lot of reading about one John Muir and determined to keep pushing my own fitness levels until I could complete on foot, the first leg of the John Muir way which ends (although from my own point of view, starts) in Helensburgh where I live. This was one of my early attempts which ended shortly after I'd taken this shot because the pain in my ankle was too great to continue.

February

February.jpg

In February I managed to complete the nine mile walk that is the first leg of the John Muir Way from Helensburgh To Balloch. Nearly the entire route was either by a road or in forestry commission land, and the route, named after someone who advocated that we all get out into the wilderness, only very briefly felt like it was letting me achieve that. This shot shows the line/fence that separated forsetry land and uncultivated hillside. Walking about twenty yards east of here and civilisation was once again visible.

March

March.jpg

I ran a series of workshops in March, as an introduction to photoshop for some of the people who'd done previous classes with me. We played around doing some smoke photography first and then had a look at what you can do with layers and layer masks to create this kind of celtic-inspired shield thing.

April

April.jpg

The Kitchen in the Vic Bar and Café at The Art School. I was really there to do food shots for the menu and wasn't really prepared to take this shot - I was only in there to collect that plate of sandwiches and chips that you can see bottom left - so it's not properly sharp and the exposure on the flames is all out of whack but I kind of liked it anyway.

May

May.jpg

This was part of a half-hearted project about flowers and memorials - mainly because I've never really understood why we can't just leave flowers to grow: as soon as you pick/cut them they start to decay rapidly and very soon look ratty - particularly if they're left at the roadside in plastic or cellophane wrapping. This was an experiment with clingfilm, water and tinfoil and two daisies in my garden. It doesn't really work for what I wanted but serves as reminder that I still want to try and do something with these ideas.

June

June.jpg

The theme at the local photography club was 'Footwear'. At the time I only really had two pairs of shoes - these boots and a pair of doc martens. I said something about having to prise the boots off my cold dead feet to photograph them... which inspired this shot.

July

July.jpg

I don't think I shot any personal images in July - this one's from my site visit to a printing factory.

August

|August.jpg

From the project Town Jewels. Inspired by Ed Ruscha's Every Building On Sunset Strip, and the Bleeding London project, I made it my goal to photograph every shop on the seafront where I live. I did it over two days and on the second day caught the owners of Helensburgh Cycles rubbing off the window mask as they opened their new shop. The previous day's documentation was already out of date. I resolved to keep going back to track the changing store fronts, preferably with people interacting with them. This was previously an opticians.

September

September.jpg

Again, not a lot of personal stuff happening. I was asked to shoot some frozen vegan sausages and burgers for a company who has a contract with a well known retailer of herbs, spices, supplements, vegetarian and vegan foods. The rosemary and red onion 'sausages' by the way were delicious.

October

October.jpg

Slightly tongue in cheek this one. The community council asked people to submit their photographs of Helensburgh to try and get a picutre of how people feel about their town. It has bugged me for ages that when the council paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to redevelop the town square, they put in vast quantities of these useless bins. It's no longer possible to photograph the church, the monument, the flower beds, the square as a whole without also including a raft of frankly unattractive street furniture at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Zou, Dan S, EightBitTony and 2 others like this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

November

November-2.jpg

Once our car broke down, it became necessary to take the bus to work. It's alright for my other half - being over 60 now he has a national entitlement card, otherwise known as a bus pass and it doesn't cost him anything. I on other hand have to fork out nearly £3 a day if I take the bus there and back again at the end of the day. So I've been taking the bus to work, uphill, in the morning, and walking home again at night. It has meant walking through a fairly rough council estate which has had me pondering my own predjudices. Houses and homes fascinate me and I've been re-reading Gaston Bachelard - I think I may have the nuggets of a project to work on here.

December

191231-Helensburgh-007.jpg

31st December 2019 - last shot of the day - or at least, the last shot I processed. I can see our flat here, and for all that it's too small and very draughty, I certainly can't complain about the view.

Zou, Dan S, EightBitTony and 4 others like this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Wonderful.

Well done for not dropping the camera when that pan flared, it must have taken a lot of nerve to hold still! That is a heck of a fireball!

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Nice year!

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Those wild fairies in shot 3 are amazing.

Thanks @Geren, great shots.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I wondered what on earth you were on about there for a sec - but yes, it's Fairies doing synchronised swimming innit.

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

What ever happened to our resident fairy photographer?

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Goblinknapped

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Disappeared in a puff of smoke!