1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karesuando Church, Sweden - HDR

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by mrjoemorgan, Apr 15, 2011.

1. mrjoemorgan

mrjoemorgan New Member

Hi all,

I enjoyed a magical trip to the Arctic back in January and came across this wonderful church just across the border from where I was staying in Finland. It just happens to be the most northern church in all of Sweden - which I thought was nice to find.

Anyways, here is the image, edited in Photomatix and then into PS - the WB is still not right in my eyes but I cant seem to get to the point between the blues and yellows I am happy with - and this is the happiest I got with it, so please let me know your thoughts

[​IMG]

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Personal thing but I'm not that keen on the falling over building. It doesn't look like a deliberate attempt with converging verticals.

[​IMG]

The third down on your Flickr site works better for me.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Personally I would quite happy with the WB - the light probably had a strange cast and there is no harm in reproducing this.

Again personally I would have corrected the verticals, I know you may say that the converging verticals are the whole point of the picture but I don't like them and for myself I would have corrected them

Edit: Oops beaten to the draw

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Personal I have no problem with verticals being off. I have used the effect myself.

I see it has a effect like soft focus or low exposure with water etc. Also bear in mind HDR has been used which can make image look different to the real world as well.

So composition is fine for me. But I not sure about the snow. I think some viewers would want it a bit mor near to white unless it is my screen it look abit purple. If it was a pure night shot then yes. Could selective WB adjustment be done on the ground snow?

But I like the shot it is the sort of thing I would have taken. Nice use of HDR on the woodwork of the building. Not over done.

5. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

nice HDR, like it. Verticals don't bother me, makes it abit more interesting. It doesn't work with everything but I think it does in this:)

6. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Think it's great as it is. Both the WB and HDR help accentuate the wood and window. I really dislike a lot of HDR so that this works says to me you have got it spot on.
    As far as converging verticals are concerned, for this shot they add to the drama. With corrected verticals, it's more of a (albeit brilliantly done) record shot.
    :cool:

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think the verticals are far enough off to look intentional and the corrected one for me is a bit tightly cropped. I'd put it higher than "Record" at "Creative Record" on the Mick / Mike scale of last year.