1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K30

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by cgproudfoot, May 29, 2012.

1. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

There seems to be an underwhelming response to the announcement last week

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Probably due to it being an underwhelming camera, like most new models.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Nikon really have spoilt everyone's fun, haven't they?

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Not everyone's fun..... only Nikon owners.... :D

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

do we need to see a test to be able to get excited...

6. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Underwhelming in what way and by whom? The only comments (other than Nimbus's above) that i have seen have been quite positive.

Personally, I think its a pretty well spec'd camera. It shares the same sensor as Pentax's flagship model, which is arguably the best sensor of its type on the market, is weather sealed, and once the price stablises will be a pretty competitive package.

Admittedly it could have had a swivel screen, external microphone socket, wi-fi, bells, whistles and an optional kitchen sink, but i guess that is not what Pentax thought was needed for its target audience - and would have impacted on the RRP.

To me it looks like a decent entry-level camera. What are your thoughts CGProudfoot?

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's another comprehensively specced competitively priced Pentax DSLR. It's unlikely anyone other than Pentax owners will be greatly interested in it, because many won't know it exists and others will think that they have to have Nikon or Canon in order to get a full lens and lighting lineup.

For me it's the most tempting 3:2 offering I've seen. Problem is I don't want to spend that much money on a camera with 3:2 sensor.

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Correct. Unfortunately most only end up with two extra lenses and one flash gun. Wouldn't have made any difference which manufacturer they'd gone with.

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

As I stated over in the "wah" forums:

"Do I get a K30 or continue to use the plastic bags and elastic
    bands on my K-r? ... that is should I decide to revert from my Q
    " ;)

One feature the K30 has over my K-r/Q is the "T/Av mode" :)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You also can't get the Q in 'silky orange' - more's the pity. :(

11. Done_rundleCams

Oh darn :rolleyes:

Cheers,

jack

12. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

The comments I guess are realistic and expected. From my perspective am still using a K7 and very happy with it. As I never upgraded to K5 I probably will not gp to K30 either. Waiting for K3...........?

Chris

13. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

I must say i'm hoping they annouce the K3 soon. I would love Pentax to come up with something truly special.

The K7 was a big step up (i love mine) and the K5 is widely regarded as one of the best APS-C cameras on the market, so the K3 - if it arrives - needs to go a bit further to really grab people's attention.

The pixel count will (necessarily) need to go up to keep up with Canikon, which is a mixed blessing. Personally i would much rather a better screen (AMOLED if possible) which can work in bright light, vari angle would be great too. I don't really care for video, but in-built GPS/wi-fi would be nice. One thing that Pentax has always lagged behind the leading bunch with is auto-focus. They need more points and they need to speed AF up.

What Pentax do need to address, above all, is their QC. The K5 was blighted by sensor issues to begin with, and there have been comments on other sites about back-focussing lenses etc., so i hope that the K30 and K3 will not suffer in the same way.

Having said that, due to budgetry contraints, if i were to upgrade my K7 (or look for a 2nd body), i may just go for a reduced price K5 - that way i have no issues regarding batteries, grip etc.

14. Done_rundleCams

Hi Chris,

Long time, hope all is well in your world, a Pentax FF
    notwithstanding, of course :D Personally, I would
    cross your fingers but, definitely, wouldn't hold your
    breath.

As for the K-30, the T-AV is nice :) but I've survived so
    far w/o it :)

Cheers,

Jack

15. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

It looks a great little camera to me.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It does to me, too. Assuming it delivers, it should be an excellent choice for many - but will Pentax market it well enough? And does it have enough stand-out features for conquest sales? I actually agree with Jerry's posts, I think his analysis is spot on.

17. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

It looks like you get more for your money than canikon's offerings at this price. If it performs like the k-5 which it should its a great camera. Like you say its all about marketing, Pany/Nikon/Canon are flat out at the minute. I've never seen so many camera ad's. Now ricoh have taken over they might spend some money on marketing it.

Are people buying the silly colours?

18. Done_rundleCams

s The only drawback I would mention would have
    been the, IMO, weak (lithium-ion) battery but, like
    the K-r, it has a AA battery holder (x4) and with
    Eneloops and a backup set you should be set :

And, as mentioned, the T/AV mode is a kicker,
    as well :). Colours ....... Black works for me :D

Jack

19. Tim Coleman

Tim Coleman AP Deputy Technical Editor

On it!

I have the camera this week. First impressions are good, looks to have the core of the K-5, which can only be a good thing. The usual shooting modes are there, including interval, multiple exposure, and lens corrections too. The design is quirky too, the Hoya/Ricoh designers have been let off the leash a little! Weather resistant body is the real plus for a camera at this level. I agree, at this price point, one can get a little more from a Pentax camera compared to the direct competition.

The test is going in the mag early August.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim
    sounds a sound performer:D