1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K2 batteries

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Zou, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As guided by 'the internet' I have put a couple of SR44 batteries in the K2, but nothing happens. These are brand new Duracell batteries, so should be functioning.

Neither the match needle nor battery check light indicate any power. Is there something else I should check (polarity is correct) or is it possible that the electrics are goosed?

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Check the batteries are actually carrying charge and clean the contacts in the battery chamber. It is possible the electrics have failed of course.

Zou likes this.
  3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

A common point of failure with these Pentaxes is the attachment of the wire to the centre battery contact - an acid flux was used in soldering, and it eventually eats the wire inside the insulation. I have a KM which had this happen, and I was unable to solder a replacement wire to its battery terminal using resin cored solder - I ended up wrapping a piece of shim brass around the contact, and soldering to that.

Mark101 and Zou like this.
  4. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

In these situations, it's best not to panic, Firstly, are the two SR44s facing in the right direction? I have a great many cameras that take these (or LR44s) and there's something like a 50/50 split on which way up they go.

If that's not the problem, there may be a build-up of grunge on the contacts: normally this can be seen, as when batteries have been left in a camera and leaked. But my experience in buying older cameras, and in checking cameras I own but haven't used in a long time, is that there is also invisible grunge. On battery contacts, and also on flash hotshoes and the contacts on the flash. Instruction books always refer to cleaning contacts with a clean, dry cloth. I have my own way, which has rescued a few seemingly dead cameras. I don't recall how I discovered this, but trust me it works.

What's needed is some of the fluid that comes in kits for cleaning cassette players (audio). The kits I buy consist of a cassette of about 30seconds length, onto which you put a drop of this fluid at two marked points: you then play the cassette. I find a very small amount of this same fluid, applied to a cotton bud, is very effective in removing this invisible grunge.

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Isopropyl alcohol. Cleans battery contacts, oil off metal shutter blades or curtains, and general build-ups of gunge from bodies. Handy stuff indeed.

Zou likes this.
  6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Vinegar is pretty good at cleaning up corroded battery terminals too, I've rescued a number of items over the years using this. Be sure to clean off with a damp cloth and a good drying afterwards, before re-inserting batteries though

Zou likes this.
  7. IvorETower

As to the K2..... you could try if you have a multimeter measuring the resistance across the battery contacts with the camera "on"..... or connect up a different power supply at the correct voltage also across the battery contacts and see if the camera springs to life. Most battery testers just check the voltage under no-load conditions. A battery can still show a decent voltage when tested yet be end-of-life as the voltage collapses as soon as you try to draw power from it

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Read John's comment and then ask yourself whether using an acid to clean contacts is a good idea?

9. IvorETower

^
    That's why you need to "wash" it thoroughly afterwards

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Don't have a multimeter, but do have another camera with 2x SR44 which currently power the meter. When I get a chance I'll swap them into the K2 to see if it comes to life. If not, may just shoot it at the faster speeds which don't require a battery.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

New batteries work in another camera; older batteries from other camera don't work in the K2. Closer inspection suggests there may have been a leaky cell on the negative end.

20210423-DSC03061.jpg

Not knowing which type of battery was in there previously (alkaline or silver oxide or other), what's the best bet for cleaning? Internet says vinegar...

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Just a gentle rub with some very fine emery paper I'd have thought. All the battery needs is clean metal.

Zou likes this.
  13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I bought a tin of Servisol Super 10 contact cleaner years ago. Still using it. Works well.

S

Zou likes this.
  14. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

A fibre glass pen will remove the deposits and is much kinder to the original plating than emery paper, should be able to get one for under a fiver from that well known next day delivery company.

Zou likes this.
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Did some testing... Remembered that I have a broken Pentax MG lying around, so I thought I'd try its battery holder, but it is a different design. Then - on the nothing ventured/nothing gained approach - I tried the battery holder from my Nikon. Doesn't quite fit but got the batteries in close enough that the test light illuminates and match-needle activates. So that confirmed the issue was the holder only. Not having any of the above named options to hand other than vinegar I got a wee bit of vinegar and some cotton buds and scrubbed away. We have success!

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. :)

Bonus points go to: