1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K10D test in AP

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Damien_Demolder, Jan 23, 2007.

1. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

Having read the review when it came out, and from memory several weeks later, I seem to remember that I was still left rather in the dark over two issues:

- That the edges of the pentaprism screen and display could be seen easily when using glasses (although this might have been OK)
    [That is one of the main reason why I have never bought any earlier Pentax DSLR]

- The speed of the autofocus, relative to the Pentax's main competitors in the Canon & Nikon ranges.

The last point is one of my main complaints about my MZ-5N, which I have to use in manual mode at airshows as it is no-way either fast or accurate enough - and in fact often finishes up totally out of focus with my 28-200mm Sigma zoom after going off totally in the wrong focusing direction for up to a couple of seconds.

OTOH, I am loathe to go over to the opposition in view of the large additiona expenditure that it will entail!

So, any more info of comments from Damien or readers would be appreciated.

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

This is my only complaint about my Z1-P film body. It only has the very early single point autofocus and it hunts from one end to the other and back again if the image is againast a bland background and not in the centre of the viewfinder, such as birds in flight or hot air balloons.

I was hoping the K10D would be much improved in that respect.

David.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Any AF camera will do the same. If target contrast is low and/or light levels are poor then all AF systems will struggle. Equally if the target is small then again difficulties can be encountered.

Earlier systems are generally slower than current due to improvements in sensitivity over the years and more expensive models are generally better than budget ones. Even my most up-to-date camera (a 20D) can be caught out by some subjects. On the other hand I have an early EOS600 which in most instances is almost as fast, especially with USM lenses, possibly because it was the top model of the time. Even so it still gets confused more easily then the later camera.

It's also worth remembering that in most cases the centre AF point has the greatest sensitivity giving the greatest accuracy and speed of response. As a rule outer AF points are more suited to static or relatively slow moving subjects...

4. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

Z-1p had the update SAFOX II/IV system, better than that on the Z-1. Having both I can see the difference.... The Z-1 is better for wildlife because it has a quieter mirror action.

The MZ-S and *ist D are better still in terms of AF speed....

Handled the K10D last night in Sauter Muenchen.... focussed nicely with the 12-24 attached.