1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K10D test in AP

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Damien_Demolder, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi Damien,
    I have read the report with interest. I notice you have regrets about not ever owning a Z1-P. Have you actually handled one or used one at all? I was most fortunate many years ago to be in the right place at the right time. It was City Camera Exchange in Croydon (now Jessops) buying some film and chatting to the salesman, I mentioned that I would love to own one (Z1-P) but that they were a bit beyond my budget. Then he told me that a customer had bought one and returned it unused as it was too heavy, they were selling it s/h at a good discount. It came complete with the 28-105 power zoom and they offered to take my old kit in part exchange. They held it for me, while I rushed home for the p/e kit. I left the shop with a bit more than a roll of film and a mile wide grin. I am very pleased with it, hence my interest in the K10D, which seems to have a similar control system.

David.

2. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

I remember being in Campkins in Cambridge 12 years ago not long after the Z-1p was introduced... Held it and decided I wanted one.... then I had to save up...

Not regretted buying it

3. Monobod

I think that Pentax, for whatever reason, went off the rails from that point onwards. I hope the K10D revives thier fortunes, now that Hoya are running the show, it will be interesting to see if we get a crop of new 'high end' models. Cetainly there is a promise of more digital lenses.

I will wait and bide my time, my E-500 suits me at the moment, but I will still be looking for a k10D, perhaps when the prices slacken a bit, as they always do.

David.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must say the K10D looks very good indeed, and it's lovely to see Pentax hitting some form again!

5. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Hoya aren't running the show yet - this "proposed merger" may be almost a 100% certainty though, barring some unforseen glitch. All that pentax have achieved to this point has been done by Pentax, and very well done too.

Personally I think the *istD series of DSLRs have been splendid and the K10D is a logical extension of a process of gradual refinement. It's a bigger step this time, but the camera shares most of the design ethos of the previous models.

6. welshwizard645

I'll second that as I have a D and DL, which I am very happy with....

With the K10D Pentax have gone from catching up to leading the pack. They are making the right noises now. I have an MZ-S as well as the Z-1p, I think that hit the market at the wrong time just as it was going digital, it is such a beautiful camera. Time I bought it out of the cupboard again :cool:

I get my AP on Friday - Amsterdam Schiphol Arrivals Hall 2 :), the girlfriend will have to be patient :eek:

7. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Hi All

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you found the review helpful.

If there is a Chris Brace out there, the hard edges around the out of focus highlights occurred with all lenses, not just the kit lens. Asking me directly really is the best idea, just as you suggest. I wish more critics would, instead of speculating about what I haven't done or don’t know. Thanks for standing up for us. It makes no difference whether you shoot raw or JPEG either; or the colour settings.

Jack, the Ricoh lenses are old ones and not the Program models. I have not been made aware that any are not good for the camera.

And yes, to put the record straight, I did type the whole thing with one finger.

Three cheers for the new firmware.

damien

8. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Some Ricoh lenses have an extra pin that jams into the Pentax K mount. This requires major surgery to remove, and the safest bet is not to use Ricoh lenses. Not what we would want to happen to our nice shiny new K10D cameras!

9. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

Glad to see such a positive review of the K10.I bought mine before any of the reviews made it to press and have not been disappointed with it. Nice to see alternative photography organs have been as complimentary although still I feel marking down in favour of their beloved C and N's. This months Pro Photographer was full of praise for the K10.

So three cheers for Pentax on really delivering the goods after such a long wait. The best has come to those of us who did.

10. Monobod

Hi Damien,

Sorry if I were seen to be speculating elsewhere, I didn't know you were still visiting this thread or I would have asked you directly. I was a bit confused about the report about burned out highlights looking as if there was a hole in the paper. Is this only with JPEG at high ISO and does it not occur in RAW, or if it does can it be adjusted? Finally would this possibly be correctable with a firmware upgrade?

I am usually careful to ensure that highlights are within bounds and my E-500 has highlight spot metering which helps, so I would probably not suffer too much from this problem on the K10D. On the Oly, I can raise the shadows really well if they are on the dark side even though the dynamic range is a bit limited.

David.

11. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Damien,

A) good to hear ....as John Riley will attest :)

B) Glad to hear...now I don't feel as bad -- for being the other one(1) finger typist in the world :eek: and I will let someone ask the obvious question :D

C) Ditto :)

Cheers and looking forward to picking up an AP next month to read the Review.

Jack

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

What's the K10? I thought the review was discussing the K10D.

13. Done_rundleCams

Just a trick to see how many (soon to be ex-) Canon users are lurking around :D

Morning Malcolm,

:)

Jack

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

In your dreams Jack.......... :D :D :D

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Where of course you would never mark up a Pentax..... ;)

Could this be why C and N are so beloved?

Your friendly C and N owner (plus a couple of P's, and a Y or 2)... ;)

:D

16. Done_rundleCams

..... I rest my case :rolleyes:

Morning Nigel,

:D

Jack

17. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Hi Damien,

I too would like to know more about the 'highlight blotches' issue, and whether it can be corrected either by software now, or as a firmware update (has Pentax made any comments on your review). Also, does it only affect low light/night time pictures?

You also say on page 21 of your review that 'Pentax seems remarkably short of lenses at the moment' - but on page 27 of the 20 January issue, Barney Britton says 'Pentax has a good range of AF optics available for its digital SLRs'!

Regards, and thanks for a very interesting review,
    Alex.

(PS Typed with all 10 fingers!) :rolleyes:

18. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Hi Alex

Yes. A rather unfortunate conflict of opinion it seems. Pentax lists 14 lenses for the DSLR system on its UK website. Canon has over 60 lenses, Nikon has 41 in its AF range alone and Sigma has 32.

For those who are happy with a wide, a standard and a telephoto 14 is plenty, but to make a system that supports a wide range of users you need standard and top quality versions of every option - zoom and fixed.

The other point too is that if you pop into a dealer's shop there is a good chance you won't be able to get all those 14 lenses.

I would also like to know more about those highlight blotches, though I suspect they will be helped with a firmware adjustment - if they haven't already. i have not loaded the new version as I don't have the K10D anymore, but often there are more changes made through firmware updates than manufacturers let on.

we'll see

damien

(PS Typed entirely with my toes)

19. welshwizard645

I think that is just as well really :eek: I see one and I want one there and then, prudence then prevails which means I am able to afford food for a few months...

Sometimes I have LBA RSS :D

20. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the fast reply, Damien.

I use wideangles more than any other type of lens, and prefer prime wideangle lenses. I've looked at the Pentax UK website, and the range is, as you say, a bit limited at the moment.

On a serious note (for a moment!), I also think that's a potential problem for Pentax. A lot of buyers may be tempted, but put off by the dearth of Pentax-fitting lenses in the average dealer's, compared to the large range of Canon & Nikon lenses (both marque and independent).

The official list of what the K10D firmware update does is at:
    http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/ja/info/20070123e.html
    but as Damien says, it may fix other things as well!

Alex.