1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K10D test in AP

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Damien_Demolder, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Dear all

I just wanted to thank you all again for the questions you have posted here, and to the office, regarding the Pentax K10D. We did the final read yesterday and the test is about to be printed in the Feb 3 issue. Subscribers will get it this Saturday coming, and the magazine will be in the shops on Tues 30th.

Thanks all again, and I hope I have covered all the points. As it turned out there is so much to write about in this model that I had trouble fitting it all in. I used the accessory grip and really liked it, but haven’t managed to cover it in the test. It doesn’t come with an extra battery, which seems strange, but it works well with the cell just in the body. It makes a useful addition to the handling.

I didn’t get to write about the remote cable either. The camera takes Remote Switch CS-205, which is 0.5m long and is the same cable as most of the *ist models take. There is a wireless trigger too that the camera can detect from behind or in front, as the K10D has new sensors to pick the signal up from where ever you are.

I think that covers everything, but please ask more if I have missed anything important.

Cheers

damien

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Damien,

Sound great and I look forward to seeing the AP Test but it, the magasine, probably won't make it over here for a couple of weeks :(

Out of curiousity, the K10D doesn't get a <span style="color:red"> "Just"(about) Highly Recommended" </span> .......does it :D

Cheers and look forward to reading the review :)

Jack

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi Damien,

I have been looking forward to this test since I don't know when. If the post is late I will be really in the duldrums on Saturday.

There have been mixed reports from recent owners, so I will be really interested to see if this model can bring me back to the Pentax fold. I have put off investing in an Oly macro lens and a flash gun, just in case!

David.

4. Done_rundleCams

Morning David,

Maybe I just don't want to see any negative remarks regarding the K10D but, FWIW, all the customers who have bought the K10D through the shop where I work....well, actually receive a pay cheque ... there have no complaints, aside from trying to figure out how to do this, what does this do, etc....but no complaints along the lines: 'well, this function/feature really sucks or the noise at 1600 is totally unacceptable or the camera doesn't function with this camera but on my friends [other manufacturer] camera's it is totally fine, etc... Now this is not to say, there are not occurances of this happening but nothing where I have had a person (physically) come in and shown me the particular problem. Now, granted, this is only 6 people but I have compared notes with fellow "camera floggers" and, so far, no major mishaps in K10D world, albeit in Vancouver :).

In the end, you have to make the decision and live with the consequences but I just felt that I would put in my two(2) pence.

Cheers and look forward to seeing lot of pics, regardless of which camera system you choose :)

Jack

5. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

I'll get my GF to buy the AP as I live in Holland,

Been eyeing up the K10D for a while...

Did AP test it with the standard kit lens or did they explore the alternative options - the 16-45 or 12-24? I guess most buyers already have the 18-55 in their arsenal and would prefer to invest in some more substantial glass.

6. scm

scm Well-Known Member

Do you have a stream of complaints from buyers of other, equivalent models from different manufacturers, Jack?
    (Just ascertaining how indicative the Pentax user silence is.)

7. Done_rundleCams

Afternoon Steve,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the number of 'customer complaints' for "all camera manufacturers camera's" is far fewer than the alleged numbers that you read about in
    some digital photography forums :rolleyes:. That is not to say, that I haven't seen customer's
    with camera problems, from all manufacturer's, although I would say that (at least) 50% of the
    problems have resulted from the old warranty voiders -- impact, water, sand damage -- :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

8. Monobod

If you don't want the standard lens, I suggest you should buy the body only. That is what I will do, as I have four Pentax lenses already, three are Autofocus and all should be fine with the K10D.

I also have the Olympus E-500 twin lens kit, but I am holding fire on any further purchases as the K10D may be a better upgrade path. I do not want to run two systems in parallel, as this means double expenditure on flashguns and lenses. I bought the E-500 because I got the impression that Pentax were more interested in the entry level market and The *ist offerings were only 6Mp, not what I wanted.

I am pleased with the E-500, as far as it goes, but the K10D is more like my Z1-P film body, which I really like a lot. Hence the holding fire and the keen interest in this report in next weks AP.

David.

9. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Hello Mr Welsh

I did use the standard lens, as I suspect many bodies will be sold as kits. I had trouble getting many other lenses from Pentax here, so I got some from Sigma instead. The one I used the most, and am most impressed with is the 10-20mm. I'm so impressed that I may actually go buy one. I used loads of my old Pentax and Ricoh lenses too, and they work pretty well.

I'll not give the game away, but the K10D has done pretty well.

damien

10. Done_rundleCams

Morning Damien,

You mention that you used a fair number of your "old Ricoh lenses" and am curious if any the (Ricoh) lenses were the Program Ricoh Lenses which are not supposed to be "healthy" for any of the Pentax DSLR's?

Cheers,

Jack

11. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to get my hands on the test report then :). Although I am hankering after the new lenses Pentax are supposed to be introducing this year, I do have a good stock of Sigma lenses (EX: 20, 15-30, 24-70, 70-200, 100-300. UC: 28-105. 70-300 APO Macro) so would be interested to hear what is said. :)

12. Monobod

Only two days to go, it's a bit like Christmas again.

David.

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Only for the Sub'ers

Others will have to wait until Tuesday

*evil thoughts* "I wonder if AP will be fashionably late this week for the Subs"

14. Monobod

That's why I subscribe. Apart from the other reason, that Saturday is the best day to read it for me.

David.

15. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I've noticed it turns up on Saturday without fail, except for the weeks when there's something in it I especially want to read...Then it arrives on Monday. I wonder what will happen this week?

16. Monobod

9 pages I believe, what a test eh! I bet Damien's typing finger is sore.

David.

17. scm

scm Well-Known Member

Fingers! He's got two hands, you know. ;)

18. Done_rundleCams

Morning Steve,

So, you're saying that he will have two(2) sore fingers :D

Cheers,

Jack

19. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Damien, I've read the test and I think you have really put a lot of effort into giving a fair and balanced appraisal. Magazines in general on some forums have been criticised for having an "anti-Pentax" bias so I guess you had a daunting task to perform in what could have been seen as a spotlight! I thought the picture captions were much better as well in that there was no contadiction with the main text or distortion of the meaning of the main text. I was going to read it again, but then Sue ran off with it on her way out to work! I liked your pictures as well, especially the superb colour of the first of the night shots - I think it was a nespaper stall? (As I said, Sue's run off with it...) :cool:

20. scm

scm Well-Known Member

That is indeed the inference I expected you to make. ;)