1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K10D - Questions for the AP Review

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by jeallen01, Nov 15, 2006.

1. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

In the last paragraph of this weeks AP "Preview" it asks for any features that we want AP to specifically look at for the forthcoming review of the K10D.

Since there does'nt yet seem to be a thread on this, may I start off with the following:

When the 1stD series came out I took a look at an early version, and immediately had a problem with the viewfinder window. I wear fairly strong prescription glasses and I found that it that it was (and still is, from the subsequent reviews I have read) too small for me to get a complete full view of the screen and side displays.
    (I had exactly the same trouble when buying my Pentax film SLR - which is part of the reason I bought an MZ5-N rather than one of the cheaper MZ30/50 etc series)

So, is the viewfinder window on the K10D the same size as the earlier Pentax digital SLRs', or is it considerably bigger - in which case I might actually consider buying one!

2. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll look into that one. Anyone else got anything they want us to deal with in our K10D review please let us know.

Mind you, I think we've still got plenty of time to think about it!

damien

3. The Circle Of Confusion

The Circle Of Confusion Well-Known Member

If you can squeeze anything out of them about the 22 bit ADC conversion it could be very interesting. I must confess to a degree of scepticism about their claim as it's a big leap from the 10-14 bits provided by most digital imagers.

4. PeterOutdoors

PeterOutdoors New Member

Hi Damien,

I'm listening to you on Radio Wiltshire via broadband & asking a question here to...isn't technology amazing....I'll look at The Worlds Top Photographers... more to the point:-

Can you add these questions to your review please:-
    1. what about 'seals' on their lens (I understand the K10D is weather sealed, but what about the Pentax lenses currently available?)
    2. what is the planned 'range' of 10MP + DSLR's i.e "what will fill the gap between the K10D & the 18MP + Pentax 'medium format' when it arrives next year?
    3. what are their plans to develop their RAW software to integrate with popular workflow prog's
    4. how much expansion will there be to their lens range e.g. will it include a tilt/shift lens of any type in future?
    5. will their new lenses have full frame (35mm frame) coverage?
    6. how has the relationship with Samsung influenced the K10D's design/price?

Many thanks & keep up the good work.

5. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

I am thinking about buying the K10D, and if I do it will be my first digital camera (unless I count the one on my mobile phone).

I have an extensive collection of Pentax and Pentax-compatible film kit. One thing I am keen to know about is the flash system of the K10D: in particular, can the maximum flash sync speed be used with a wide range of apertures? I love my Z1P, but it always frustrates me slightly that at 1/250 sec it sets wide apertures, even with a powerful external flash. Will the K10D work the same way?

6. Ijs

Ijs New Member

I shoot sports almost exclusively. When I first saw the specs, I thought this is a camera I'd really like to buy. But now I'm not so sure.

According to a Canon user who has tried it at a recent demo, the K10D falls short in:
    FPS and autofocus speed. Particularly autofocus. Is this true, vs comparable Nikon and Canon products? Is this only something that will be addressed with next-gen Pentax lenses (in 2007 maybe)?

If so, it would be a deal breaker for me, sadly. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Also, is noise an issue with the K10D in low light (high ISO) conditions?

7. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

Typically unbiased viewpoint of a Canon owner.....if it's slightly slower then it doesn't bother me, what matters me is image sharpness. My *ist doesn't disappoint in this respect.

8. welshwizard645

Two questions....

when they (AP) do review of K10 can they do it with some decent glass on the front.... the 18-55 kit lens may prove a disadavantage on what is seen as a 'high-end' model...

I would also like to know if the mythical 'K1' will ever see light of day....if so, then I wait.

To answer Peter's question - I think planned lenses are mostly DA, so are not intended for 35mm format - but it would be nice if there were D-FAs

9. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have a question - will the camera support the 28-105mm f4-5.6 power zoom lens? This lens has image size tracking and other unique features that work on my Z1-P film camera.

Also, how well does it perform with Pentax film lenses, if I need to buy digital lenses to get good results from it, would I be better off staying with my E-500 and buying more lenses for that instead?

Thanks, David.

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning David,

You can use your PZ 28-105/4-5.6 with all the Pentax DSLR's but only the PZ-1, Z1-P and PZ-20 could use the "special Power Zooming feature" of the 28-105 and the 100-300 lenses. You other Pentax (mount) lenses will work quite well with any of the Pentax DSLR's :).

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Jack

11. welshwizard645

Z-10 also could do this - not sure about Z-50p and Z-70 because they came out with non-powerzoom lenses..

I think on the 20 and the 1s that they had zoom burst mode, which the 10 didn't..

All was fine on my lenses until the switch broke....

12. Monobod

Thanks for the info on the power zoom, looks like I shall be keeping my Z1-P for some time to come!

13. welshwizard645

I'd say whatever happens keep your Z-1p, it's a wonderful beast :)

14. DMC

DMC New Member

Hi Damien, looking forward to the review...

I'd be most interested in the image quality - but not necessarily measured in the way it's usually been done before - i.e. with resolution charts, colour checkers etc... - instead I'd like to see what the 22-bit processor achieves - are tones really better? texture? is the noise more pleasant and less noticeable? How about the detail? Are banding effects really reduced? I'd be interested in image quality comparisons with the D80 and EOS400D, too.

Many thanks!

15. HelenEdith

HelenEdith Well-Known Member

Hello Damien

I currently run a Pentax *ist DS with which I'm very pleased, but the goodies on the K10D have me in "I want" mode.

Pete D posted a link on rec.photo.digital.slr-systems to a PDF version of the K10D manual, and I've read a bit of it, but haven't consumed the whole thing. If anybody wants to see the manual, it's here.

I do have a few questions to add to your list:

1) One thing I gleaned from the manual is that the li-ion battery takes 3 hours to charge and that it will power 470-500 exposures in normal usage with that going down to 320-350 exposures if flash is used on every shot. I remember a day at the Biggin Hill Air Fair last summer when my *ist DS took about 1,400 exposures on two sets of Jessops 2300 rechargeable AA batteries - and there was still some juice left in the second set when I was all aircrafted out. Furthermore, my Ansmann charger will charge these batteries up in around 20 minutes. Is moving to a li-ion battery a retrograde step? Particularly when the charger is apparently so slow and the number of exposures is less than a DS can do on a set of rechargeable AAs. At least with AA batteries, you can run the camera on disposables if you get caught without rechargeables, but with the K10D, if the battery goes flat and you don't have a spare li-ion battery, or you want to go mad and shoot multiple frames of every aircraft you see, are you going to run out of options mid-afternoon? [I may have learnt a lesson at Biggin Hill and will probably be more selective about pressing the shutter button next year - regardless of what DSLR I'm shooting with!]

2) Please include the battery grip in your test. Does it run exclusively on li-ion batteries, or can you put AA batteries into it? What do you think of the shutter release on the battery grip?

3) AP testers have noted the blueness of the back screens on several Pentax and Samsung DSLRs. Can you give an opinion about the colour rendition on the back screen of the K10D. I wouldn't trust the back screen on my *ist DS for checking colour temperature.

4) Can you look into how noise reduction works on the K10D. The *ist DS locks up for a time equal to the exposure while it does NR - on every shot. Does the K10D work in a similar fashion? (Give it a nice long 30-second exposure!!!) A secondary question on NR is this: can the K10D take a reference dark exposure for later application of NR to multiple frames? And a tertiary question on NR: what effect does NR have on battery usage? I find that the *ist DS can flatten a set of batteries rather quickly on a night shoot with NR turned on - particularly if I use the Ansmann 2200 rechargeables that came with my excellent Ansmann charger. I find I have a fourth question as well: how prevalent are "hot pixels" when you turn NR off on long exposures?

5) Since getting a 2GB SD card which my computer's card reader won't look at, I've been connecting the *ist DS to my computer for image transferring. I haven't found it a particularly reliable process and even had to have recourse to image recovery software when I used Windows Explorer to copy selected images from the SD card and then deleted those selected images, but somehow the *ist DS managed to delete the whole folder containing images on the SD card. Give the K10D directly attached to a PC (not a Mac) a bit of exercise and see how it performs. I no longer move images, and I no longer do deletes from the computer until I've copied everything. Is the K10D more trustworthy? It's possible that you should look at this in conjunction with battery usage, as I think some of my problems have been due to batteries that weren't very lively.

6) There was a lot of discussion about what flashguns could be used on DSLRs when DSLRs first started appearing. I read various forums and eventually decided to chance using my old Centon FG30 flashgun on the *ist DS. It works perfectly and doesn't appear to have caused any ill effects on the DS. Will the K10D take older flashguns?

7) Will the K10D take the same cable release as the *ist DS?

8) On legacy lenses: is there any chance that the K10D will work in aperture priority with lenses that don't have an 'A' position?

9) The anti-dust system is probably something that you need to observe over the longer term, but I'll be interested in what you think of it.

10) When 8MP cameras first appeared, AP was unhappy with the noise generated by the sensors. Now we're getting 10MP sensors. Are there noise issues with them?

11) As someone else has mentioned, please give the autofocus system a good workout. Does it "hunt"? I had a Sigma 28-300 on the *ist DS at Biggin Hill and was running continuous AF. Occasionally, the camera "lost" the aircraft and I had to zoom to 28mm before it would "find" it again, after which I could zoom back towards the 300mm end of the lens while maintaining focus. I also find that AF doesn't work very well in low light conditions, and assume that the same will be true of the K10D, but do give the AF a bit of low light exercise and see what it does when focussing on objects beyond the range of the built-in flash.

That's probably enough to be going on with from me! :)

Thankyou Damien for whatever you can include which relates to my questions.

16. Monobod

I would also be interested to know what cable release the K10D uses, is it backward compatible with the Z1-P? Will reflections off the back element on older lenses be a problem, with so many of us owning older, but excellent, non-digital Pentax lenses this will be important. From the interest in this camera it looks like your report will need to take up the whole magazine this time!!! Are we all going to be so dissapointed when it only scores 85% if you don't like it; lets hope not.

David.

17. HelenEdith

HelenEdith Well-Known Member

I'm back with another question: I believe that the K10D, like the *ist DS, has interchangeable focussing screens. Will Pentax be providing anything useful like a split image focussing screen for use with manual focus lenses?

How easy is it to change the focussing screen? I've never done it on the DS, and don't recall seeing how to do it in the manual, although I may simply not have read the relevant page!

18. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: K10D - Questions for the AP Review ..some answers..

Morning Helen,

Whist I am not DD, I do know that the K10D uses the same Cable Release as the Ds :) ...cuz I checked our K10D and accessory pages :rolleyes: and the Battery Grip does not take AA batteries and I know very little about the charger specs aside from what you mentioned :eek: but the 3 hour charging time is about par for the course for all the Lithium-Ion Battery chargers.

As for flashes, I hope that the K10D will be similar to the Ds so I can use my Vivitar 285 :).

Cheers,

Jack

19. DS2

DS2 Well-Known Member

A really nice feature about the viewfinder on the all Pentax DSLR is that they all have diopter adjustment built in.
    This switch is located on top of the rubber eye piece.

For more information about the K10D: http:www.dpreview.com

Cheers,
    Simon

20. Beta

Beta New Member

I use a Pentax istD.

One of the most useful features is that direct access to ISO rating and File size and type is directly available from the mode dial on the top plate. Looking at the pictures in the preview this isn't so. could you please let us know how easy it is to access these functions on the new camera.

Many thanks