1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K10D after 6 months

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by HelenEdith, Dec 16, 2007.

1. HelenEdith

HelenEdith Well-Known Member

I've had my K10D for about 6 months now, and have very little but praise for it.

My misgivings about the li-ion battery seem totally unfounded. I think it performs better than the manual would lead us to believe, and unlike rechargeable AA batteries, it holds its charge! I keep two batteries: one the Pentax battery that came with the camera, and the other a cheaper Haehnel battery. I rotate them, and when I first got the camera, I charged both up before going anywhere. Recently I decided to see just how much use I could get out of a battery, and got about 400 shots, the majority of which were night shots and included some bulb exposures and quite a few in the 15-30 second range. The battery finally gave up the ghost last night while I was out on a night shoot!

Another plus point for the K10D: it's possible to extract a battery and insert a charged one without removing the camera from the tripod. Try doing that with AA rechargeables in an *ist DS!

I'm also impressed by the shake reduction function. I pushed that to the limit this evening inside of a church, and while the results weren't as good as could be achieved with the use of a tripod, I thought that getting anything useable when shooting handheld at 1/6 second was impressive. Here's the best one, taken using Focal length: 108mm, Aperture: f5.6; Shutter: 1/6 second; ISO 800:

[​IMG]

My one comment about the shake reduction function is that I'd recommend making sure you turn it off when putting the camera on a tripod. (I think Pentax also recommend this, and I'd agree with them!) Some of my recent Christmas decoration shots do not compare favourably with what the *ist DS produced last year. I wasn't using mirror lock-up and suspect that SR got in on the act and badly corrected some shutter slap when really I would rather it hadn't.

As I'm the sort of photographer who enjoys low light work, I will probably get more use out of my K10D in the next 3 months than I did during the summer, and I've probably still got some learning to do, as I acquired the camera during summer and it's only in the past six weeks or so that I've really taken it out at night.

If I've got one niggle about the K10D, it's the way in which it handles green. I seem to have had a lot of burnt-out grass from it. In fact, I switched to RAW+JPEG capture so that I'd have the RAW to work from if it got the grass wrong. I have an idea that CCD sensors have more green photosites on them than anything else, and I do wonder whether the K10D is paying too much attention to the green photosites.

2. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The Bayer Colour Filter array that covers the CCD and provides the means to obtain colour information has blocks of four - one each red and blue and two green. This is because the human eye is most sensitive to green and it gives our eyes the colour that they expect.

Personally I haven't had any problem with greens so it's difficult to suggest what the cure might be.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Helen,

Gee, I was starting to get excited when I initially read that part of your post -- in
    quote above -- until I reread it and realised you said "low light" ...... I thought you
    said "low life" :smirk

Seriously, I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your K10D and, truth be told, "All"
    of my customers are enjoying their K10D's but, like you, it is not the 'perfect camera'
    and they have all had questions about little "niggles", as you mention.

EDIT: regarding your comment about your IST*Ds and changing AA batteries
    when it is on a Tripod :eek: ...I have never experienced any such
    problem ...mainly because I don't use a tripod :eek: ....but, sadly,
    I have many examples where I should have used a tripod :rolleyes:

Cheers and continued happiness and success with your camera :)

Jack

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Have you boosted saturation in camera?

I have not had any problems with the green colour on my K10D, but |I do not shoot long time exposures. It could be related to that of course. Try photos in normal daylight and see what you get then.

5. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

No problems with the colour bias in my K10 - perhaps it's you're menu setup?
    I agree about the battery though - I've been surprised how long they last. I thought about buying the extra battery grip, glad I didn't spend the money now!

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Eat more carrots and less broccoli?

7. johnriley1uk

There's always one... :)

8. HelenEdith

The easiest thing to do is to pull the green curve down a bit in PhotoShop. :cool:

Sometimes I get so much too much green that I actually blow the green highlights, and that's a major reason for switching to RAW, as I can go back to the RAW file when that happens and adjust the sensitivity.

Sometimes that works, and sometimes, if they're completely blown, lowering the sensitivity just results in grey highlights.

9. HelenEdith

Thanks Jack!

Sorry to disappoint you over the low life photos... :)

I like my tripod, and I'm going to be unhappy when I wear it right out, as I hate change and I've been using my current one since the 1970s. Everyone tells me I should have a quick release plate, but without one, at least I never bring my tripod and then find the quick release plate is on the body I left home. :D Now there's a good excuse for not using a tripod... :D

Anyway, there are definitely times when I wish I'd used my tripod, but haven't, but I do use it quite a bit, and I find a tripod quite liberating, as I don't have to worry about keeping my shutter speed up, but can choose my shutter speed purely for the conditions and the effect I wish to achieve.

I will definitely continue to enjoy my cameras.

10. HelenEdith

Hello Monobod - yes, I have boosted the saturation. I liked the default "bright" setting on the *ist DS and one of the first things I did on the K10D was to change it to "bright".

It's actually daylight pictures where I'm having the green problem. Although come to think of it, what I class as daylight might be what some people class as poor light. ;) I've experienced pictures with decidedly too-green grass, sometimes to the point where the grass starts to white out. I usually run centre-weighted metering. I will have to dig out some of my edited images rescued from RAW and put them up against the original JPEG versions to demonstrate what I mean.

11. HelenEdith

I agree about the battery grip. I'd quite forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I do have two batteries, but the second one is a Haehnel which cost about 40% of what a Pentax battery does, and seems to work just as well.

I don't want the extra weight of the battery grip, and regret that the K10D weighs more than the *ist DS as my camera bag is getting too heavy, particularly when I throw in a couple of 1970s vintage prime lenses. It's amazing what those old lenses weight.

As for the duplicated functions on the battery grip: I don't have a problem with using the shutter button in portrait mode. Back in my Pentax MX days, I developed the habit of tripping it with my thumb in portrait mode, and that works for me. In fact, I think I get less camera shake with thumb triggered portrait shots than with conventionally triggered landscape shots.

12. HelenEdith

But I like both... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. HelenEdith

Indeed... :)

14. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

May I suggest that there is absolutely no need to boost the saturation with an exceleent camers such as the K10D. You really are not doing yourself any favours at all.

May I further suggest that you set all the parameters to zero. Also take your photos in RAW and you should se a marked improveent.

Which version of Photoshop are you using?

If it is CS or CS2, the RAW converter is very good. If you have CS3 then it is absolutely superb. Use these to tweak your images and you should get perfect photos. Mostly I find very little adjustment is required before saving the image as a TIF (with no compression).

I hope this helps.

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Helen,

I think I will survive ...re: the low light/life pics :rolleyes: and
    as to changing your tripod; "imho", I would suggest
    if you are thinking about it maybe hit a local shop -- Jacobs ?? --
    and take a peek at some of the Manfrotto tripod and heads or,
    perhaps, the Gitzo's and see if there is anything that catches your
    fancy ......and, heck, maybe even check out the "quick release plate"
    tripod heads :eek: ..... ;) But, as I tell customers, "if it ain't
    broke...why fix/change it? :)

Cheers and cool fireworks pics -- from that other thread :)

Jack

16. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

It could be the fact that I run a non-standard focussing screen, but I've found the evaluative metering gives better results on the K10, especially getting the balance between ground and sky (obviously it should I suppose). I started by using centre-weighted as that's what I was used to from older cameras, but changed it after a few not so great landscapes.
    As for the weight of older lenses - that's all that are in my bag so I understand where you're coming from there!

17. johnriley1uk

Does this excess of green look the same when it's printed?

I am just wondering if the green bias is the monitor. It's difficult to assess without seeing it, but it does sound very excessive and not what should be expected.

18. HelenEdith

I've thought about getting a split-image focussing screen, and I've been reading the threads on here with interest, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I do really miss my split-image screens from my film cameras. I went straight from manual focus SLRs (I've got about 10 different ones ranging from a Pentax KM through to a couple of MZ-Ms and a couple of Ricoh XRXs) to a digital SLR which was my first serious encounter with autofocus.

I like using my old MF lenses from time to time and could really do with a split-image screen for focussing them sometimes.

I've tried evaluative metering a few times, and do sometimes use it, but all those years of centre-weighted metering do mean that centre-weighted is my comfort zone. I'll have to give evaluative metering another try.

19. HelenEdith

That is a very good question. Do you know, I can't recall ever actually printing a picture taken with my K10D. Since taking a step back from the camera club, I haven't had the same need to produce prints, and most of my pictures just end up on my website. I'm planning on printing some in the run-up to Christmas - and will have to see how the prints look.

I haven't changed my monitor or my printer since getting the K10D, so I'm saying that compared with the *ist DS (which I haven't used for pictures with a lot of green in them lately) I think the K10D is putting too much weight on green.

One interesting point to consider is that the K10D has a much stronger infrared-blocking filter than the *ist DS, and green grass reflects a lot of infrared light, which the *ist DS meter is probably taking into account but the K10D meter isn't, so maybe the K10D genuinely thinks that the greens are less bright than the *ist DS does and therefore wishes to expose them more.

It's a good theory, anyway!

20. johnriley1uk

Why not try running Adobe Gamma (from Control Panel) to calibrate the monitor?