1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K-7

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by AlexMonro, May 20, 2009.

1. johnmcd

johnmcd Well-Known Member

Hi John, sensible has nothing to do with it it's sentiment and pleasure. The first film I ever used was Kodachrome 64 in an old Yashica range finder camera my uncle gave to me. I've been using Pentax cameras for 25 years, to go to Japan and not use a Pentax is unthinkable. I jast want the pure pleasure of taking some slides on a small quality camera that feels good. I love the way that you have to ration film and not just bang away taking hundreds because you can. There's a sort of cathartic quality in using a manual everything camera with a bit of film in it. The mind is concentrated and you are forced to think when you have to do everything yourself.

They did have an FM2 for the same price as the LX in the shop at the time but the LX just feels much better and I don't have any manual focus Nikon lenses so it wouldn't feel right. Anyway it was am LX, I sold my previous one and regretted it.

Thanks for the advice anyway, thoughts on what selection of Nikon lenses I should take would be appreciated though.

2. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Well if I tell you what Pentax lenses I'd take on a trip then you could relate that to whatever Nikon have. I'd take the 12-24mm, 16-45mm and 55-300mm along with the K20D. That's not a heavy package. The 16-45mm would do for most of the shots.

I think the Nikon equivalent will be a bit more of a burden.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi John,

Wow... sounds like a skookum trip :) and a "boys (fort)night out" ;) and I read your rationale for
    taking the LX and leave it as "This" :rolleyes:

Now, as for your lens selection, well, sadly, you've asked the wrong person :eek:. Mainly because
    I notice you don't have a lens wider 35>50mm and that is where your DX 16-85 would come in handly --- even though I would be going with my DA 12-24 (for the wide angle) and would take
    my DA 50-135 (for the tele end) :) Just too bad you didn't have a 20/2.8 for your LX, eh :eek:

Regardless, of what lenses you get told that you should take , you know what you like (and
    how) to shoot so take what you would normlly take on holiday :) Also, I don't doubt for a second
    that you will come across situations where you will wish that you would have had a longer or wider
    lens :rolleyes:

4. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

Looks good all round to me so far, though I really like the idea of the almost 100% viewfinder. Hope it's bright.I didn't upgrade instantly to the K20 as I cant really afford to upgrade to every new camera as it happens.This looks more like the almost quantum leap from the K10 I was waiting for so maybe I'll spend my hard earned on it. Do I need the video mode when I have a Sony Handicam with touch screen control? Probably not so don't know if that might put me off of an immediate purchase.I thought a more likely upgrade would have been to move away from the limitations of SD Cards and incorporate something a bit slicker in the speed department. On reading it's a bit smaller I was worried it might not be compatible with my BG2 and alas it appears not,so having to buy a BG4 will be a disappointment.

I wonder if there is any significance in the move from naming the camera from a single letter double numeric (K20) to a single numeric. This is a labeling method employed by Nikon et all to set their top flight cameras apart from the intermediate or beginner types eg D300 D3,5D 50D, or is it just another Pentax quirk like *ist or DA*. Still, nice to see Pentax out of the doldrums and showing some intent to make cameras.Wonder what Samsungs version will be like?? :D

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Samsung - Full frame possibly! They are working on it I understand.

This K7 would be better for me as I have three expensive AP-S lenses. :(

6. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

Full frame eh!! Might upset the "special relationship" that one, unless it's modelled on Pentax's (will they wont they) medium format job. Cant get much more full frame than that.

7. Monobod

Big money too..... :(

8. bodyheat

bodyheat Member

Having played with Nikons and Canons in the past and then settling on an LX in 1981, I am now looking at my digital SLR options. So I have been doing my due diligence and reading these forums and others as well as going into shops and handling DSLRs.

I read a lot of posts comparing the K7 for example with certain Nikons and Canons, with some saying they are comparable and others saying no way, depending on where your allegiances lie. But am I the only one (surely not) who thinks that as long as the specs are roughly comparable then other elements of design become more important like size, weight and ergonomics - i.e. ease of use?

On paper I was tempted by the specs of the Nikon D300 and Canons 50D and 500D, until I actually got into the shops to handle them and then I realised why I bought into Pentax all those years ago.

On paper they are more or less head to head with the K7 and some would say they are better in some areas, but so what? They are clunky, heavy bricks and for me at least would completely take away the 'joy' and spontaneity of photography since they would be a complete pain to carry anywhere. As I say, maybe I am spoilt because my experience is mainly LX which is probably IMHO the most beautiful and perfectly designed and well thought out 35mm SLR ever built by any manufacturer.

I guess that since my experience of the past 28 years has been LX and K2 and I never bothered to go into AF type cameras I am used to cameras which are compact, light yet sturdy and solid. I think that if all I had known was heavier DSLRs I might see things differently, but when I picked up the D300 and 50D all I could think was how heavy and uncomfortable they would be to carry around all day. The 500D felt nice and the size was ok, but a bit plasticky and I can imagine bits falling off it in a few years - but maybe it's me, perhaps they are planned obsolescence.

At the end of the day, as long as the specs do what you want (take great, clear, clean shots) and you learn to live within the limitations of your camera (unless you want to pay £5000 for the top of the line Canon etc) then surely the key thing will be - how likely am I to want to carry this with me everywhere I go and get the most out of every photographic opportunity?

In my opinion, you can have the best specified camera in the world, but if its too big and heavy (especially when adding a decent spec lens) then I know I will hardly take it out unless I am making a special effort to take pictures. My trusty LX with a flat 40mm lens was almost pocket-sized with pro specs.

I think that's the market Pentax are trying to regain dominance of with the K7 and I for one welcome this. If they wanted to go after the D3X and EOS 1D markets they would have made something twice the weight and twice the size to satisfy those who think that bigger is better and makes them more of a photographer. After all, its easier to fit in higher specs in a bigger heavier body - try fitting all the K7's specs into a KM sized body Mr Nikon.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Here here Bodyheat
    It's a shame those just out of short trousers magazine journalists don't (won't) think the same...

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

and Who really cares about magasine journalistas thoughts .........unless, of course, they all come to
    the same conclusion :eek: ...... :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I admit they don't all come to the same conclusion.
    Some favour Canon....Some favour Nikon.

P.S. Sorry for my slight bias towards Pentax...Does it show..?

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

To the extent that it undermines everything you say, TBH, and I think it's more than a little rich attacking the objectivity of photo mag journos on a photo mag's own website. As well as being utterly wrong, of course. :mad:

13. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Benchista. Whether I'm right or wrong surely doesn't make a jot of difference as long as it's my opinion. I'll have mine...others will no doubt have theirs. That's how it should be. It is a Forum afterall. Mine was a comment, not an attack. I wouldn't knowingly attack anyone on this magazine or forum. If you feel it was an attack, then I apologise.
    Makes of cameras are like football teams. My team is Stoke City. By far the best team in the Premier League. Despite this fact, for some strange reason, newspapers and television fall over themselves to drool over Man Utd & Chelsea. The Canon and Nikon of the football world.
    Of course I know deep down, in reality I Stoke are not quite as good as them....but I'm not going to admit it publicly am I....
    Best Regards Dangie

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There's nothing wrong with supporting your marque of choice, but if it descends to accusing camera magazine journalists of bias on a site belonging to two camera magazines, then it's perhaps gone too far - we've had far too much nonsense on that score in certain other rooms on here, and I would hate to see a recurrance in here.

Anyway, if the K-7 delivers on what it promises, I reckon it's exactly the camera Pentax should be producing - the Hull City of the first half of last season, if you like. ;)

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks for that. I hear and totally accept what you say.

However I'm not too sure about the K-7 being matched with Hull City. Afterall they only narrowly avoided the drop. I'll stick with the Stoke City tag if you don't mind. Everyone's favourites at the start of the season to be relegated but came through with a good finish. Hopefully we can build on that.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I did say first half - I appreciate it's not a very encouraging comparison, though. :D

Anyway, as Leeds fan, what do I know? :D

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Of course not. Search on the forums here and you'll find that the overriding majority of members advise newbies to go into a shop and handle their target cameras. The fact is though that one man's meat is another man's Quorn. I like the bulk of the D300 and other DSLRs seem to small for me. I long for a quality compact though, but only becasue that would be truly portable. Even the smallest DSLRs are too large to be classes as that.

18. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Right, screen grab of that one to be used in evidence (many, many times) in the future no doubt!!! :D :D

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'd have paid good money to see Ronaldo try to get past Norman Hunter...At least the second time anyway...

20. Monobod

The Canon G10 has proved to be just that. I take it everywhere (except in the bath!). :D