1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K-7

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by AlexMonro, May 20, 2009.

1. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I can't believe I'm the first to post on the new camera after all the hype! :)

So what do others think are the most interesting features of the new model? For me, it's the 100% viewfinder and the AF assist lamp.

2. MarkCook

MarkCook Well-Known Member

LOL ... my first reaction having read the spec's is - what's all the fuss and hype been about ... maybe it will help push the price of the K20D down :)

On closer look though, the 5fps burst mode and 1/8000sec shutter speed are nice improvements ... still not sure it's priced to sell ... time will tell I guess.

3. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

*ist D started off at 1200 body only...I got mine for 550 in the end...

Like most people who've held onto their K10Ds I think I will wait and probably dabble on the dark side too ;)

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Not seen it yet, but that 1/8000th sounds like a Z1-p in digital form. The K20D and K10D have focus confirmation lights, what is different?

5. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

I'm not taking the initial price too seriously. After all it was seeing the new K20 listed at nearly £1000 that made me buy the K10... for £380 :D If I had waited a year I might have been able to afford the newer model, but I would have missed out on a year of shooting with the K10

On the K7, it does look rather svelte alonside the bloated Canon 50D and Nikon D300, and has the specs to knock the socks off all of 'em! I think it's clear for any doubters now, Pentax mean business.

6. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

It is looking like it is going to be a beast of a camera. I guess I could be forgiven for posting this dpreview.com preview here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxk7/

There's gonna be a grip and two new weather sealed kit lenses too.

7. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I converted to Canon when going digital, but still enjoy using my Pentax film bodies.

This looks one attractive piece of kit to me, and, if I did not have an investment in Canon glass, would be giving it serious consideration. The smaller size is a definite attraction, and the auto levelling gismo, whatever it may be, is also a potentially useful add on. I will be very interested to read the AP and DPreview's take on the IQ when they do the full test.

You never know, a couple of years down the line I might just indulge in a secondhand K7 body to use with my Pentax lenses. ;)

Whatever system you have it is to every users advantage to have genuinely competitive kit available from a range of different manufacturers. Best of luck to Pentax with this product. :)

8. Monobod

Yes, this looks like the camera I was hoping for in the K20D, but didn't quite get. I have only had the K20D for a reasonably short while, so changing now would be difficult to justify, but I think this will be high on the shopping list for a 'next Christmas/Birthday' combo.

I really am pleased to see the 100% viewfinder, that is really great. Also like the high resolution rear screen. This is a camera to really give Nikon a sizeable headache.

9. MarkCook

MarkCook Well-Known Member

Let's hope so, really looking forward to seeing it (& playing with) at my local Pentax Pro stockist :D

Still not got to a K20D so will see what happens in a few months !

10. johnmcd

johnmcd Well-Known Member

"A sizeable headache" why ? If they'd brought it out 6 months ago it might have stopped me buying a D300 but now it's mostly playing catch up. It has a similar specification to the D90 with I expect much better build quality and weather sealing but at a much higher price. The specification is however lower than the D300 apart from weather sealing and video mode.

I'm not knocking it really just your logic as to why the competition should worry about it.

It's small, light and weather sealed and if I hadn't got rid of all my auto focus Pentax gear I'd probably have bought one but it will have to be a lot cheaper than the list price to worry anyone.

11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I don't think the D90 or D300 have the K-7's sensor shift anti shake which enables it to be used like a view camera's shift movements, to name just one feature.

Of course, it depends what you're shooting. Action / sports shooters would probably prefer the D300's higher frame rate with extra battery grip.

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Alex,

Albeit for a few extra £ -- EN-EL4a battery, MH-22 battery charger, MB-D10 BP/VG and the BL-3 battery cap -- which, in CDN dollars, totals about $1100 :eek: :eek: but that's only if you
    require 8 fps as opposed to the snails pace 5.7 fps the D300 gets w/o the add-ons ..which,
    mind you, I have sold a few of :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

13. Done_rundleCams

Hi John,

A lot cheaper :eek: :eek: :eek: What?? It's already less expensive than the current pricing of the D300 ..... you've thrown me for a loop :D Mind you, having said that, I hope
    to (fill in the deity, etc.. of your choice) that I don't like the camera so I am not forced to purchase
    one :(

BTW, how's the Nikkon gear working out?

Cheers and Hi to Da Family :)

Jack

14. johnmcd

Hi Jack, I suppose I just got my D300 at a good time, it was £925 from my local shop in Chelmsford.

It's just a shame Pentax took such a long time to bring out a camera that it looks like I'd like but I needed a new camera as the DS was dying and I didn't like the K20 at the time and it was still about £750.

Anyway going to Japan in a few weeks so I'll take the D300 and the LX and see how I get on. I think I'll just take the D300 and a couple of primes and leave the heavy zoom (16-85) behind.

Hope everything ok, cheers.

15. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

I think it is safe to say that we will be soon seeing Pentax back into the press pit at events...just like what happened with Sony, you now see a few using an A900,soon enough there will be newbies out there doing this sort of work with the K7 I am sure. At least by reading the spec.

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Whether the K-7 becomes the success that Pentax hope for is debatable. I sincerely hope it does.
    However if it doesn't, it won't be because of any lack of quality. I'm sure the K-7 is at least the equal to similar offerings from Canon and Nikon, such as the Canon 50D or Nikon D300. Indeed the K-7's predecessors, the K10D and K20D were themselves more than a match for their Canikon equivalents.
    Only the established market dominance of Canon and Nikon hold Pentax back. It's not the quality of the cameras.

17. Monobod

Does the D300 have the high speed vibration dust removal, similar to the absolutely superb Olympus system? I think not.

18. Done_rundleCams

Hi John,

Japan ...wow :cool: Where ya going and for how long? A friend of mine went to Japan a
    few years ago and took his (Canon) 20D, 10D -- which he was supposed to sell to a friend --
    and a film body --EOS 650 so he could utilise his 20-35 @ the 20 end :) -- much like your
    idea (digital and analogue) and to make a huge story (somewhat shorter) :) he returned overjoyed
    from the experience but very underwhelmed with "extra weight and space" he, unnecessarily, took
    with him :( Of course, the "weight and space" were the two(2) bodies and rolls of film which never
    saw the light of day in Japan :eek: ........... just as a word of caution considering your mentioning of the
    LX and lens/lenses, undoubtedly :)

And, on another vein, what primes are thinking of taking along and where are ya planning on going -- not that I know much about Japan, geographically wise.

Cheers and it off to work :(

Jack

19. johnmcd

Hi Jack, 2 weeks with Ally.

I was going to the LX with it's 50mm F1.4 lens and 3 rolls of slide film.
    Also the D300 ( in case I mess up the film ) with a 35mm F1.8, 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8. I might drop the one of either the 50 or 85.

Normally I'd take the 16-85 VR as it's exceptionally good for a zoom, as sharp as the primes ! but it's not much fun hanging from your neck all day. Ok for an event but not wandering around all day every day.

Any suggestions on what to take welcome.

This is the trip it was cheaper when I booked it.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/JST

20. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I don't see the logic of mixing two different systems and carrying two sets of lenses. It's tolerable with Pentax and Nikon as the controls work the same way round so it could be worse, but even so...

Wouldn't it be a better idea to either get a Nikon FM3 and ditch the LX or get a Pentax K7 and ditch the D300?