1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K-7 review - on WDC

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Benchista, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Sorry to disagree but sales say otherwise. Doing head to heads is very labour intensive, from trying to get all the cameras in at the same time, with the right lenses, to carrying it all around and shooting/processing/analysing every shot several times. We certainly wouldn't do it if people weren't interested.

People like head to head comparisons (whether on Top Gear or in a photo magazine) and they like lists (Top 100 xxxxx of all time etc). They sell magazines and they get TV ratings.

Needless to say we also do in-depth testing of the cameras individually. The head to heads are an addition. Perhaps we should make them more tongue in cheek, like Harry Hill's TV Burp 'fights'!

2. Nigel_Atherton

Sshhh...we're in the Pentax forum, remember. They're not supposed to know about this ;-)

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I have to say that the review didn't disaude me in the least from thinking that I'd be quite keen on a K-7. The 'flaws' aren't relevant to my photography, so the success of the major points for me (ergonomics, lens compatibility, and image quality/noise) bodes quite well. If they can bring it out even better, great! :D

4. pgraber

pgraber Member

I accept that you have been a little surprised by the Pentax sensor announcement. But the sort of thing that has upset Pentaxians (and there has been quite a lot of comment on this review at DPReview) is comments like:-

"The Pentax K-7 provides rather exceptional image quality in terms of noise, but completely unravels itself with consistent underexposure"

These are two quite separate things, and bunging them in the same sentence doesn't really help anyone. The improvement in noise performance will be valuable to most of us, the underexposure, especially if it really IS consistent, is easy to fix. In any case there is some evidence that Pentax favour a more conservative approach to exposure than, say, Canon, ensuring that highlights don't burn out. If your reviewer customarily uses Canon gear, that might explain his finding. He is, of course, right to mention the problem if that's what he found, but there is a question of how much weighting to give it as an issue. In any case, I bet nearly everyone buying a K-7 will shoot RAW and the whole issue will be a non-event.

5. Nigel_Atherton

The K-7 we tested does underexpose JPEGS by around a stop. The fact that this may not be an issue for many users does not mean that we should not mention it.

What some people seem to forget is that, despite these issues, Mike actually gave the camera a really good review, saying it was a 'great camera' and the 'best ever Pentax.' Some people seem to take any negative comments about their brand personally. No camera is perfect.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah, that bastion of informed, reasoned debate and intelligent comment... :D

7. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

:D :D :D :D :D

8. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

...and looking at the thread I see some of these sages have decided to impart their wisdom on the AP forum too :D

9. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

My brand loyalty is driven by the impossible cost of replacing all of my gear with Nikon, but I think I would if I could.

I do not care for dslr head to head reviews, to me they are meaningless. They are a better bet when it comes to lenses. I am interested to know if a Sigma whatsit is better than a Pentax dodar! This can help me to get the better lens, or decide if the cheaper one is good enough (often it is not).

For me, the K20D is doing the business, so I am content to let the dust settle before I buy into a new dslr.

10. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

I think you will find that the vast majority of 'system changers' lie within the amateur/enthusiast ranks. There are many on here who have travelled through the big 5 (as they were) and back again over the years. Pro's have to justify new or changed equipment within a business model and to an accountant - as attractive as the Pro life may seem they often don't have the freedoms that we do.

11. Nigel_Atherton

I think there's one thing you're not taking into account when questioning why people like reading Head to Heads. The number of people who will change systems is probably quite small, but biggest appeal, I suspect, is the 'my camera is better than your camera' factor. People want to know how their camera stacks up against competitors – in which areas their camera is better and in which it is deficient.

We've often thought that if we could get the licence to produce DSLR Top Trumps they would go down a storm!

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You're quite right, Nigel. Equally, it's funny that those who complain about such a test never own a camera from the system that came out on top...

13. pgraber

pgraber Member

"The K-7 we tested does underexpose JPEGS by around a stop. The fact that this may not be an issue for many users does not mean that we should not mention it."

No argument here. Clearly one stop of underexposure on JPEGs is unacceptable, and of course your reviewer must mention it. My point was about how to weight that deficiency (if it really does make it to retail models), given that (at a guess) 95% of K-7 users will shoot RAW.

14. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Nikon D3 - ISO 25600, come on, hand them over! :D

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry, 5D Mk II, snap. And I've got more pixels than you, so YOU hand it over. :D

Although, as WDC's review very accurately points out, the 5D II's 25600 is pretty much unusable. In fact WDC's review of it is absolutely spot on for me - the things Matt describes as odd or annoying are the very same things I do, and the things he finds to praise are equally the same things I think are great about the camera. Which is one reason why I would trust what WDC say about a camera in use more than anyone who hasn't tried it, and is simply going off the spec sheet.

16. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

But you haven't got a Canon Mk II Nick? ;)

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Er, oh no, you're quite right, I haven't. :eek: :D

(Think I'm OK, in the unlikely event she finds her way on here, she'll never think of looking in the Pentax room! :D)

18. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Why do you think I'm here? :D

19. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Are Nikon about to buy out Pentax? Will the K8 be Pentakon? :)
    Or is the takeover just here? :D

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Shhhh! Nick and I are holed out. [​IMG]

You ain't seen us, right? :D