1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K-7 review - on WDC

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Benchista, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

2. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Is this still a pre-production sample being tested?

3. pgraber

pgraber Member

It claims to be based on a production camera and final firmware (though this was only issued two days ago). But then it also claims the K-7 is the first Pentax DSLR with a battery grip - so you decide how credible it is!

4. HotGates

HotGates New Member

Well from this review and looking at the Canon 500D review tells me that the 500D is way ahead of the K-7, sorry i don't by that i think the K-7 is way ahead of the 500D night and day difference the score should of been the other way around.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

OK, as you're clearly a user of both the K-7 and the 500D to have such an informed opinion, can you tell me what aspects of each camera lead you to that conclusion?

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Slightly off topic, but still about reviews, I don't see the point in the "Head to Head Battles" or whatever else the magazines call them. By all means review and test a camera on its own, weighing up its pros and cons, but don't pitch it against others.
    Anyone with a Canon 400D for example, thinking of moving up the range to say a 50D, is not going to be really interested if the Nikon D300 is better or not. Its the quality and capability of the 50D that interests him/her. Lets get back to good in-depth testing, not points tables.
    The same goes for Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus users.

That's it. Fathers Day gripe over.

7. HotGates

HotGates New Member

OK, as you're clearly a user of both the K-7 and the 500D to have such an informed opinion, can you tell me what aspects of each camera lead you to that conclusion?

[/QUOTE]
    Don't get me wrong i enjoy both canon and pentax as of now i sold my 40D and K20D and am looking to buy either a canon or pentax again, what aspects brought me to say that the 500D is better than the K-7 is the review on this site the score tells it all, but i myself don't believe that the 500D can be as good as the K-7, although the 40D on here got a better score than the K20D i can tell you since i had both that the K20D was better than my 40D.

8. istD

istD New Member

I totally agree. Apart from academic interest and the reinforcement, or otherwise, of our brand prejudices These head to head tests are really only applicable to compact, entry level DSLRs and accessories like bags and tripods etc. where the potential purchaser has little or investment in a particular manufacturer's system. Obviously this wouldn't apply if a particular model is released that completely revolutionises the industry. It would be much more useful if the tests compared new models with the current ones in the range and how they perform with the most common lenses that a typical user is likely to have. Does it matter that high ISO performance of Brand A's body is better than that of Brand B's body, if you have only have Brand B's lenses? Its similar to the situation with Mac and PC users. Irrespective of which may be better at a certain task, if you have hundreds invested in software for a particular platform that you are comfortable with then you are very unlikely to swap and buy it all again. Whereas you will probably consider buying the next model up or some additional software for the platform you have.

Personally am looking to upgrade to a K20D and the only other consideration was to wait and see what price point the K7 came in at in case it was a viable contender (which at 1200 quid it isn't :( ). To be honest I don't even know what the exact equivalents from Canon, Nikon et al are, since it is only of academic interest as I won't be swapping brands anyway. That may just be me though :)

9. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I totally disagree, for two reasons.

Firstly, people change systems all the time, especially when making the move from cropped to full frame sensors. For them the comparison of semi-pro/pro models is of interest.

Secondly, people deciding on a system in the first place may have one eye on the future. Looking at head to head comparisons of cameras above the desired level could give them a steer as to which system may be the better one for them. Don;t forget, not everyone buys new and by the time they're ready to upgrade, the reviewed cameras would be on the 2nd hand market.

10. pgraber

pgraber Member

Further to my previous reply, AP themselves have said that there will be a modified sensor in final production models. They are therefore delaying their testing. It seems to me that WDC have simply damaged their own reputation by rushing out a review which cannot be based on a final retail model (and which anyway includes basic schoolboy howlers).

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'm not sure I really agree with this. Ok, professionals may change equipment depending on what's best for them, but they aren't likely to be reading "Battle of the Giants" or "Clash of the Titan" etc. The well-heeled may change where money's no object. Those who buy a SLR plus kit lens because their mates got one and never go beyond this, may change. But I think that Mr Average Photographer, with his prized hard earned two bodies, three lenses, flash etc, is going to stay with whatever he's got. Afterall, all of the systems are good. None are better than the other.

Not sure about this either. I don't think articles in magazines determine to which maker a new buyer will go. I think it's more to do with friends recommendations and salesmans pitch. Of course, after we've invested 'x' amount in our equipment, we might wish we'd gone another way, but that's a different story. I believe the vast majority of camera magazines are bought by those who have already began an interest in photography, not those who are thinking of starting one. These constant Head to Heads don't sell magazines.

P.S. This is not a dig at the magazines, I love all of them. Especially AP

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

How do you know that it's not WDC's test that has rushed Pentax into other action?

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think one of the biggest benefits of this sort of test is that it puts pressure on manufacturers to improve - nothing like a direct comparison to point out relative weaknesses that can then be addressed. So even if they don't directly mean anything to me, for the reasons you've outlined, I think they have a major benefit for consumers.

14. Matt_Golowczynski

Matt_Golowczynski Well-Known Member

This is perhaps a good point for me to clarify a few points.

Firstly, our review of the K-7 was in no way rushed. We've had the model for a while and so had already gotten a good sense of handling, design, features etc... We were told about the firmware update (1.00) and so we waited for it to be made available, before forming opinions about performance, image quality etc... Because we waited until this update was made available, we even had to drop it from the current issue of WDC as we didn't think it would make our print deadline. If, as AP reports, the retail model will see a new sensor then we will obviously revise our review when we can, though in fairness this wasn't something we anticipated would be happening.

As for the head-to-head argument, magazine sales, covers, features and all the rest of it are analysed in far more detail than you could imagine. If we published features that 'don't sell issues' then we would notice this and clearly we would stop publishing them.

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

In that light then, I would almost certainly buy a copy if it had a free Oly EP-1 on the cover! :D

16. Matt_Golowczynski

We tried that but it didn't quite fit in the bag. Maybe if the next one is a tad smaller...

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

You could always try leaving the mag out, would it fit then? :D

18. Matt_Golowczynski

Cheeky.

I'll pitch the idea to Nigel, see what he thinks.

19. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

In response to some negative publicity for our Pentax K-7 review we would like to clarify a few points.

Firstly, the camera reviewed was given to What Digital Camera as a ‘full production model’ directly from Pentax UK and contained the very latest firmware (version 1.00) at the time of testing. Today however, it has been announced that Pentax may be altering its sensor before this goes on sale, presumably recognising themselves that some improvements can be made.

We appreciate all comments about our reviews and have clarified a few points, including a part in the review that claimed that this was the first Pentax to feature a battery grip. What it should have said is that the D-BG4 is the first Pentax battery grip to offer a choice of AA battery or rechargeable Li-ion use.

Our review of the K-7 is generally very positive and this is reflected in its 86% score, and What Digital Camera Recommended Award. However, a camera that is due to cost £1199 in the UK ($1975 USD as of 22/6/09) should expect to be pulled up on its shortcomings, especially when other cameras in this price bracket do not suffer the same afflictions.

We appreciate photographers are very passionate about their cameras and have strong brand loyalty but we strive to offer fair independent testing to all the cameras we test and feel it is more honest to point out any faults than find ways to overcome them.

If the camera is now due to be updated before its launch we will amend our review once we have used the new version.

Nigel

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

That's all very well Nigel, but what about my free EP-1? :D