1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K-3 II

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Well, I must say I am a little bit confused here. Just by the bit I read that the K-3 will probably not be continued. As the K-3 II does not have a pop up flash, isn't this a bit of a gamble? I'm sure a lot of users will be concerned by this.

Also, how does it work with Wireless flash? Does one now need hot shoe triggers and receivers?

The technology of the pixel shift looks as though it does the job of enhancing the image, but there is concern being expressed about the risk of the slightest vibration, from wind perhaps, spoiling the effect, even on a sturdy tripod.

Is it worth it, or is it a bridge too far?

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

no it's not a bridge it's a DSLR :p
    actually I think it's a move to get the K3ii accepted as a pro camera

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

The reason (excuse?) manufacturers give the absence of pop-up flash in their top flight bodies like the 1D and the D4 is that for DSLR with sizeable lenses, for near subjects, it does cast a pretty drastic shadow in the picture.

Off-body flash could still be commanded by a hotshoe flash, but I know what you mean...

At least they've put something in its place :)

I'm hoping for one last firmware update to get my camera the new and improved AF algorithm indicated in the AP writeup. When the Q had something similar it really mad a difference.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My Olympus E5 pop up flash is really unusable with my best lens, due to the shadow cast so I always used an attached flash gun. My newer Canon 6D solves this by not fitting a pop-up at all, I did in fact buy an attached flash (Nissin) as I felt naked without any form of flash but the ISO performance is so good that I have not yet used the Nissin in anger! Incidentally I do not think that Canon claim the 6D as a professional camera, that claim is reserved for the 5D and its derivatives (among others)

Perhaps Pentax is claiming with the new version of the K3 has such good ISO that flash is unnecessary?

5. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

The pixel shift looks really good in samples. How it works in the field is to be seen - it will depend on a good tripod.

The iso performance is no different to the K3 so it is a choice for users flash or GPS (inc. the excellent astrotracer). I guess the ethos is that high end users will buy a decent flash anyway. But there will be plenty of cheap K3s for those who want a pop up flash.

6. Monobod

I'm not a lover of the pop up for taking photos as the shadow effect is an issue especially with a lens hood in place. I have both of the separate flash guns for this anyway, I was concerned about how the wireless flash will work when two flashguns are away from the camera. At the moment, this is controlled by the pop up.

The GPS is great built in, but Wi-Fi connection via a Flu card is not the greatest feature, but this may be built in to the FF later this year. If the FF has both that would be something to wait for.

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

If memory serves, David, Pentax has had wireless flash for a while now and I think I recall using it with my K200D's :eek::)

As for going sans-built-in flash, I can't remember the last time I used a flash with any of my DSLR's and I haven't been using the top-end cameras :) Of course, having said that, I'd much prefer a camera to have built-in flash rather than not :)

Cheers,

Jack

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Didn't Leaf or Hasselblad do something like this in a Medium Format Digital Back a while ago? ISTR reading something about it on Luminous Landscape. I think the found it worked quite well, as long as there wasn't too much subject movement.

I think it's another first for Pentax in a 35mm form factor DSLR, though.

9. Monobod

Yes, that's right Jack, they have, but my point is how will it be controlled without a pop up flash to send the messages to the flashguns?

Mind you, Pentax are so clever these days, it may be done by telepathy. ;)

10. Done_rundleCams

Well, David, according to my K-50 menu, built-in flash can be used a master or as a controller (?) so, I'm guessing, the pop up has to be used …… at least, with my K-50 ;)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Monobod

It may be worth asking the question of Ricoh perhaps. I wonder if the small external flashgun Pentax market would act as a controller? It is a bit academic from my point of view, as I will not be buying the K-3 II anyway. I would prefer to see what comes later in the FF body. I most probably would not be buying that either unless it were at a very tempting price, as the K-3 is doing such a brilliant job. I am amazed at just how much better it is than the K-5. I could not have expected it to be so good.

It isn't just the pixel count, but the metering and auto focus that are so much better too. At last I have a camera that gives 'film like' quality images. :)

I wonder how many K-3's will soon be discounted or how many pre-owned ones will be available at a discount? There could be golden opportunities to upgrade fore many of us, even as a second body.

Dream on MacDuff!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  12. Done_rundleCams

Well, David, I don't know about the rest of the world, but Pentax/Ricoh- Imaging Canada is dropping the price of the K-3, on May 1st,2015, but about $150 CDN :eek:, so, maybe ….. ;)

Cheers,

Jack

13. Monobod

I noticed that they haven't sold all of the gunmetal Prestige versions either, I wonder if they are going a bit cheaper. No difference in performance, but they do look good. :)

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I reeeeally want one of those but can't justify the upgrade of the paint job, even if I p/x my current K3... Will just have to buy a battery grip and enjoy the one I have :)

15. Monobod

It is what it does, not what it looks like, that matters in the end. :)

16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Quite true :)

17. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

According to Pentax/Ricoh-Imaging Canada, all versions of the K-3 dropped in cost :), so, I guess, ya just gotta wait for that slow boat to make it's way to Englandia :D

Cheers,

Jack

18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

And Wales. :p

S

19. Done_rundleCams

Indeed, Steve :) and, perhaps, even NI and Scotland :eek:

;)

Jack

20. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

Are there any other differences between K3 Mk 2 and K3 Mk 1, or is it just the flash and flu card?

I've tried looking for somewhere where there is a written summary of differences but can't find one, and nothing in AP's equipment section