1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K-1 is launched

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Feb 17, 2016.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I looks a very nice camera and if it had been available when I went FF with a 6D it might have got my vote. but I now have several FF Canon lenses and it missed the boat:oops:

As for obese......my 6D with a pancake lens is surprisingly portable perhaps this one will be also

2. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

The feedback is that is slightly bigger than the top of range apsc. There are plenty of compact lenses you can use with it. An example is the FA43mm - the filter thread is 49m. Of course there will be enormous lenses to put on it too but the point is there are options to suit most people.

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

The real question for me is how well will my film era FF lenses perform on this camera. They work fine on the K-3 because I am not seeing the extreme edges and corners because of the crop. Will I find to my horror that there is a fall off in sharpness and extensive chromatic aberrations? if I have to buy new lenses too that could double or treble the outlay......how does one know?

If I wait for the launch date I miss out on the £130 discount on the battery grip or the 24-70 lens. But I could then try it out in the showroom first to check the lens compatibility.

I wonder if by running a film through my Z1-p using each lens in turn, would that tell me anything? What do you think of that idea?

There is also the issue of increased flare with older lenses because of improvements in coatings over the years. So much to consider.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Won't tell you that much, because how they perform on the K-1 will depend on the microlenses over the sensor as much as anything.

5. Ffolrord

I wonder the same too about the film era lenses. Plenty have been trying them anyway on the Sony A7R and the results seem to be generally surprisingly good. Perhaps no surprise with the likes of the FALtds but older glass seems to do well. There is always the option of not using all of the frame of course. Depends on the subject too.

If you hold off buying one for a couple of weeks then there will be plenty of reporting on that anyway.

6. Monobod

I am going to the Photography Show at NEC so will discuss this with Ricoh. I cannot see it being a massive problem.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry, was composing a much longer reply, but the engineer arrived to fix our central heating...

There are lots of variables, but broadly most decent film-era lenses work perfectly well on full frame. There may be some issues with microlenses that will be unique to the K-1, so you won't know for sure until you try them, and some lenses will perform better than others. The coatings issue isn't generally a problem except in extreme lighting - otherwise, you might lose a little contrast that's easily recovered in post.
    I've got an adaptor to use K mount lenses on my Canons, and have tried my M series 28, 40, 50 and 135mm lenses - no nasty surprises, but nothing very special either - again no surprise, these aren't standout lenses, just good solid performers. How the old Limiteds cope will be interesting.

8. Monobod

Yes, I have a concern perhaps about the 28-105 f/4-5.6 power zoom but with the power of CS6 and NICK sharpening, I do not expect that to be a big issue. It would be my most usable lens and I would be sad indeed if I had to cough up for the new one. I will still have the K-3 and the new 16-85 f/3.5-5.6, which is proving to be a winner. The K-5 would go in P/Ex.

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I was talking to a customer who was thinking about the K-1 until, that is, he and his daughter
    were recently the recipients of a free D700 along with the old Nikkor AFS 24-70/2.8 and Nikkor AFS
    70-200/2.8 VR, albeit version one :eek: So, I said, sell them and get the latest FF digital camera
    and make use of your old Pentax lenses along with some of the latest Pentax glass :)

He wasn't sure how serious I was ;)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Monobod

Does anyone know the size of the RAW files please? I'm thinking about hard drive space and memory cards. I am supposing the camera needs the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC 95Mb/sec class 10 32GB memory cards (at least). I do use these in the K-3 and they are fast. They show room for 598 RAW files available when formatted, but that will be less in the K-1 of course.

11. Monobod

You have it in one! :) The K-3 is just too good to part with. The K-5 can go in part exchange, but I expect only to get about £300 for it including the grip and a siggy 17-70. My how values tumble.......

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

So no deal, then? Your conscience will suffer.

S

13. Done_rundleCams

No idea, David, but, I suspect, ….. another external hard drive time ;) I'm hoping that we'll get a beta sample soon and, if so, I try sus out the RAW file size :)

Cheers,

Jack

14. Monobod

I have just spoken to Ricoh support and the complete outfit, camera, grip memory cards, batteries and strap weighs in at 1395g. The fellow I spoke to was quite excited about the camera. He said they have been testing it out with legacy film lenses and had some amazing results. I don't think he was just selling it either, he was genuinely bouyant. They have feedback showing that about 20% of APS-C users are planning to switch. Delivery starts in early April (2nd) and they have a good supply apparently. One tip was that when using APS-C lenses, don't select crop mode. Just crop the image from the full frame image. This apparently can give a slightly bigger image. Good to know that the camera doesn't force crop mode when using APS-C lenses.

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Go on, you know you want to...;)

16. Monobod

Yes, it is looking more and more likely. I'm hoping to have a meeting with WEX to get a valuation for the K-5 and bits. That will help offset some of the cost. I wonder if they are giving away free trolleys with it? :p

17. Monobod

PS.....RAW files are about 50Mb they say. K-3 are 27Mb, so about twice the size.

18. Done_rundleCams

Got a our Pre-Productoin sample on Tuesday along with the 28-105 lens and the BP/VG and took a few shots with it -- only the jpegs -- showed up on my laptop, which I can't publish :(

Jack

19. Monobod

Yes, I had a similar experience at WEX when the Pentax Rep did a hands on presentation.

20. Ffolrord

File size will be the same as Nikon D800 I would think.