1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-1 is launched

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Feb 17, 2016.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Or could it be that Pentax has in-camera sensor stabilisation?

Just out of interest, anyone know the relative weights of equivalent lenses?

S

2. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

The sensor mechanism with shake reduction will no doubt contribute. Not sure about the built in GPS versus flash. But its only a little bit heavier than the D810. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference.

3. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Re: Weight of K-1

I guess overall the size of a camera body depends on design philosophy, the range of features and controls to be included, battery size and robustness, including weather sealing.

I remember when I was choosing my Pentax Super A, one of the other cameras I considered was the Canon AE-1p. The Canon was quite a bit larger and heavier, yet less sophisticated. My brother-in-law had the earlier Canon AE-1, which seemed less reliable than my Pentax, so I assume the size and weight difference resulted from Pentax’s then design philosophy of trying to keep their cameras small, whilst Canon didn’t consider that important. But it’s possible that all manufacturers are trying to keep the size and weight of their current DSLR’s down, and Pentax couldn’t avoid making the K-1 a little heavier than Nikon’s current D810 because they wanted to squeeze a few extra features in.

Chris

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Are we talking here about the camera body alone, or the body with the battery grip? My K-3 is pretty heavy when the grip is attached and an extra battery fitted. But used without it, it seems to be small enough to be comfortable as a street camera, as is the K-5.

I am keeping the K-5 as just that now, because I cannot get good money for it s/h. Daffy to sell it for a song, when it is such a good and useful camera. Fitted with the 50mm f/1.7 (75mm equiv) it is excellent as a walkabout.

The K-1 is certainly on the wish list, but it will be quite some time before I order one. I will wait to see the long term reviews and for the price to slip a bit. (hopefully).

5. ChrisNewman

I think I read that the Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8 is a non-stabilized version of my Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8. Nikon’s new stabilized 24-70mm f/2.8 is much heavier and longer than my Tamron, other competitors, and Nikon’s relatively big predecessor.

I haven’t investigated other lenses. It’s most unlikely I will switch from Nikon unless/until age forces me to downsize to a much lighter outfit.

Chris

6. Monobod

I must admit that weight is a serous problem as I am the wrong side of 70, so this is going to influence decisions. It isn't just the camera body that is the problem, the lenses play a significant part too and even my lightish Manfrotto Carbon One tripod is made heavier by the weight of the head.

What I need probably is a Caddy. ;)

A member at my club has just dumped all of his Canon kit in favour of the Sony A7 and he is pleased as Punch with it. It would be great to see Pentax developing a top notch CSC, but I fear it may be a long time coming, if ever.

For now though, I must continue with the Ricoh GXR. It is getting far more use than the K-3 to be honest and the results are very acceptable providing one does not need to drastically crop and then print to A3. :)

7. Ffolrord

Yes a lot the new Pentax lenses will be rehoused Tamrons, same optical formula. Added is weather sealing, different lens coatings, different motor. The lenses will lack stabilisation because it isn't required.

Personally I am happy about this because Jun Hirakawa will have a hand in these lenses and given his FA Ltds he is clearly a genius.

8. ChrisNewman

Sony’s A7R II seems an amazingly capable body in a small package. But there doesn’t seem to be the same scope for reducing the size and weight of lenses without sacrificing aperture or image/format size, either of which reduces the light-gathering power, and so will inevitably affect image quality. My backpack normally has D800, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 (which I use for most of my photos), Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 (telephoto zoom), Sigma 8-16 mm f/4.5-5.6 (wide angle) and Nikkor 85 mm f/3.5 (macro). All but the Tamron are APS-C, to reduce weight (something you can do with Nikon, and I believe also with the Pentax K-1 full frame, but not with Canon). But these four lenses weigh far more than the D800 body.

Chris

9. Monobod

'Badge Engineering' is rife throughout many industries, be it washing machines or motor cars. I am not too bothered about who makes the lenses as long as they are robust, durable and perform well. If it helps to reduce costs, bring it on.

Strange though, I do care about whose name goes on them. I'm not keen on 'Ricoh' appearing on the back of my K-3.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A badge engineer lens is not necessarily the same as the original. For example a few years ago Oly brought out a 70-300 tele zoom apparently identical to a Sigma equivalent. This was at a time when Sigma had a very bad reputation for batch variation but I never heard a word spoken against the Oly version and I am still very pleased with my copy.
    Whether Oly licensed the design and made it themselves or (more probably) put their own inspectors into the Sigma plant I know not but the results were certainly very different.

11. Ffolrord

It won't be cheaper. It will be substantially more expensive that the Tamron equivalent. But you won't have a choice of the Tamron since that won't come in K mount.

Is it manufactured to lower tolerances. Maybe. Certainly, build quality will be a few notches above.

However, gone are the days when Sigma, Tamron and the like were considered automatically inferior. Well that's not actually true, I see many posts here which automatically assume that 'own brand' Nikon and Canon lenses must be best. But those in the know know different.

The Pentax 15-30 will be around the same price as the Nikon 14-24, intiially more expensive but that will drop. The Nikon is superb but I have seen credible reviews that rate the Tamron 15-30 as an optically equal. So I think it's fine to price it around the same. We're talking pretty expensive lenses though.

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Aye, good point, Steve :)

Jack

13. Done_rundleCams

My mate has, pretty much, changed from Nickon to Fuji X system, Chris ;) due to it being lighter, but, he's keeping his D7100, Tamron 24-70/2.8 -- got it because of the Vibration Control --. his AFS 70-200/2.8 VR II and will be getting the D500 because his D7100's getting kind of long it the tooth :) He uses his Nickon kit for shooting sports -- ice hockey, figure skating and lacrosse -- and reckons the D500 will be the last Nickon DSLR he will purchase ……or need to purchase :)

Of course, now his all his Fuji kit weighs as much as it Nikon kit, did …. but, it fits in a smaller bag :D

Cheers,

Jack

14. Monobod

I think not many of us know the truth about how, where and by whom lenses are made. The glass may be ground and polished in Japan, the body bits made in China and the lot assembled in the Korea, depending on labour costs.

Does it matter if the end product is well made and does the job? I agree that some of the Sigma lenses, especially the EX range, are very good. My 100-300 F/4 EX is top notch. Perhaps it is a lottery about getting one that is within tolerance and perhaps Pentax made ones are more consistent? I have no idea.

15. ChrisNewman

I was walking locally in summer a couple of years ago, and met a photographer with a Fujifilm X-T1. I had a quick look, and it was the first camera with an EVF I thought I could be content with. I thought the system was shaping up nicely, with reasonable quality lenses rather than basic “kit” ones, that were lauded in reviews. But then they announced the Fujinon XF16-55mm F2.8, which I would have wanted as my principal lens, with neither sensor nor lens-based image stabilization. That pretty much killed my interest in the system.

Chris

16. Done_rundleCams

True enough, Chris, but it is a weather-resistant lens ;). As well, the same mate who would have, normally, used his 70-200/2.8 VR II/AFS 80-200/2.8/AF80-200/2.8 and D600, D7000, D300 et al for doing for doing studio portraits of Shriners, for the previous 16 years, this year used his XT-1 and his 16-55/2.8 and, aside from a bit of cropping and a minimal amount of unsharp mask, did not have to play with the pics at all :) Best skin tones straight out a camera that he's seen, the printer, and he's been in the printing/shooting business for 54 years -- since 1962 -- :)

Ironically, I think you're the first person that I've heard/seen ( ;) ) mention the lack of stabilisation as a reason to turn away from the lens :eek:, where as more than a few have mentioned the price point, which does surprise me :confused:.

Cheers and good shooting :) …………… FWIW, that Tamron 24-70/2.8 VR is a cracking lens :D

Jack

17. ChrisNewman

I hope I can still cope with the weight of my Nikon outfit for several more years.

I’ve had a troublesome time with my Tamron 24-70/2.8 VR. I was pleased with its optical quality, but occasionally it would lose contact with the camera, which reported “No lens attached”, and nothing happened when I pressed the shutter button. (I haven’t heard of anyone else with this problem.) Next winter I returned it to Intro 2020 (the UK agents), who couldn’t reproduce the fault (unsurprising for an intermittent one), but “adjusted” the aperture control lever, making it too sluggish to close fully before the shutter opened, giving unpredictable overexposures. I returned it again, and they replaced the mount, which I expected to cure the problem of contact with the camera, but didn’t, and the aperture lever calibration was seriously bad. I returned it a 3rd time, got a better-than-new aperture lever calibration, but still had the loss of contact issue.

I went to the UK Photography Show last spring, raised my problem at the Tamron desk, and left my lens there to save yet another set of carriage costs. They later sent me a brand new lens, but it still loses contact with the camera occasionally, and it seems less sharp away from the centre than my original copy (I suspect some decentring).

I’m even considering buying Nikon’s new heavyweight VR monster, so that I can be sure of a photo when I press the shutter button!

Chris

18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's the camera.

S

19. ChrisNewman

I do shoot more with my 24-70mm than with all my other lenses put together. But I’ve had the loss of communication umpteen times with the 24-70mm, and never with any of the 3 Nikkor and 3 Sigma lenses I also use on my D800. (It would be great to have the use of a D810 for a few months, and see whether the problem occurred with that body, but I can’t foresee getting the chance. I’m not willing to revert to my D90 with the 24-70mm mounted for a long spell; in addition to the loss of resolution and features, 24 mm isn’t really wide enough for an APS-C mid-range zoom.)

Chris

20. Monobod

On Wednesday I had a hands on encounter with the K-1 at WEX in Norwich. It was not as heavy as I had expected, the slightly deeper body, front to back and the large grip made it very comfortable to hold. The build quality seems excellent and the buttons and controls were all in the right place. The viewfinder is magnificent and I was very impressed. There were also several lenses to handle and these were of the same solid build quality we expect from Pentax. All in all, I was sold on it so it is on the shopping list.