1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K-1 is launched

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

SRS Micro systems have Emailed the details. 36.4Mp, tilt screen, Pixel shift resolution, on board shake reduction, 14 bit image processor, No AA filter, but AA simulation, Mag Alloy body.

All for £1599.00p

Wow, I was expecting over two grand.......:) :) :)

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I was doubtful if it would ever arrive. How glad I am to be wrong.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Good to know that you're saving £400-500, eh, David :)

Cheers,

Jack

4. Done_rundleCams

Hi Dave,

Cheers,

Jack

5. Done_rundleCams

I would have expected more focus (and cross type) points, as well as frame rate, in FF, as equal to the APS-C size frame rate. Also, I would have opted for a 24mp sensor :)

Cheers,

Jack

6. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

It ticks all the boxes for me, and I'm glad it's stopped at 36MP. Files larger than that can be a bit of a pain.

The only thing missing has been missing since the 1990s, and that is a proper mechanical coupling to stop down M series and earlier lenses properly. I have a feeling it just isn't technically possible at a realistic cost. So something I doubt we will ever see.

As for the rest, spot on. I'll wait awhile for the price to settle and sooner or later one will find its way to me. Perhaps I'll order one by accident, like when my finger slipped when looking at the MX-1 on Amazon.......Do you think I'll get away with it twice? :D

7. Monobod

Will I also? Haha. This is really amazing value for money compared to the opposition. Apart from that the specification leaves the others cold. I thought I would be content with my K-3 (Prestige edition) and it is an excellent camera, but all but two of my lenses are FF, so I would not need to spend much in that direction.

It will be interesting to see what the prices do over the coming months. If it follows the usual pattern, it may be even better value eventually.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Well, give me your K3, then you can buy the K1 with a clear conscience.

S

No?

9. Done_rundleCams

Yes, John, you will :D

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  10. Done_rundleCams

Yep, David, I can see your finger hitting the order button, as well :D

Cheers,

Jack

11. Monobod

Are you a Buddy Holly fan? Remember that song....'That'll be the day'.

If only, but it would be after the new utility room in the garage and the door through to it, the water softener, the new ipad for my wife, the school uniform for the Grandsons, the......Oh dear......

Dream on. :D

12. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Nikon D810 £2,700 launch price (now £2,350). Pentax K1 £1,600 launch price.

That is hugely competitive pricing.

13. Done_rundleCams

Maybe, the water softener, David ;) and, yep, I'm a Holly fan :) and have even been a few stormy aeroplane flights :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

It's a bit ... er, am not sure whether I'm allowed to say this but - got the OK, media does it all the time now - it's a bit obese, isn't it? :eek:

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Par for its class. Not as svelte as the Sony A7 series, but then few camera are - OM-Ds are about the same size with far smaller sensors.

16. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I don't see why you can't say that. I have now idea what you mean though since it is perfectly normal for what it is. All full frame mirror cameras are obese compared with their mirrorless counterparts but that's stating the bleeding obvious.

17. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Far too late for me

Six years ago I decided to move on from my manual focus film outfit, based on a Pentax Super A. If Pentax had offered a reasonably-priced, fairly lightweight full frame camera at the time, and the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens or a similar high-quality mid-range zoom, I’d probably have bought them and upgraded my other lenses to AF over time. Unfortunately they didn’t, hardly any of my full frame manual focus lenses would have been attractive in an APS-C outfit, and so I decided on a fresh start. (Initially I chose Nikon APS-C, as a complete full frame outfit with the quality of lenses I wanted would have been too heavy, and very expensive for my first experience of digital. But I’ve since bought a D800 and 24-70mm, and use a mixture of full frame and APS-C lenses.)

I see the K-1 is a fraction heavier even than my D800, but otherwise it looks a great camera in most respects, with plenty of Pentax features utilizing sensor shift, etc.

Chris

18. Monobod

Also, if one wishes to retain a 100% optical viewfinder instead of a miniature television screen then one accepts that the camera will be larger and heavier. I praise Pentax for retaining this feature. It is one that I would not wish to lose and of course a FF version gives a larger view of the world than an APS-C, another plus for the FF body.

19. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I agree with all of that. But when I bought my Pentax Super A, Pentax (and Olympus) were renowned for making SLRs smaller and lighter than comparable models from Canon and Nikon. My Nikon D800 is relatively large for a Nikon full frame camera; I think the D610, Df and D750 are all appreciably smaller and lighter. So I was surprised to see the K-1 listed as a little heavier than my D800.

Chris

20. Done_rundleCams

Hi Chris,

I wonder if the extra weight has anything to do with the "weather sealing"?

Cheers,

Jack