1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just skin and bone.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Nope. Not helping at all. What a lovely lovely dog.

2. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

That one certainly is a great looking dog. We both think that Harley is a right little cracker. To be honest I have never seen a dog that learns so quickly - To give you an idea of what I mean by that we wanted him to learn to go to his bed when he was told rather than jumping on the sofa whenever he wanted to (Our fault entirely for encouraging that yesterday). All we had to do was take him into his bed and tell him to lie down twice, now he does it for us whenever we want him to.That is telling me that he is not only quite intelligent but that he is very contented with us and that he wants to please us.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Sounds like you two have really hit it off.:)

I think it is fair to say there have always been communication difficulties with my Tango (the one that was from another home). Indoors no problem but outside he is a handful and rarely left off the lead to greet strange dogs..... strict criteria have to be met.... the other dog has to be small enough my big dog doesn't feel he has something to prove and that nobody is likely to be taken off their feet when he goes charging in. He'll respond to sit indoors but not before crossing a road, for example. My younger dog (Bravo) seems like a genius in comparison!:D

bothdogs-ed.jpg

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Same here

There's this thing where people say "dog person" or "cat person" like they are mutually exclusive

I love my cats but have had a dog in the past (Who co-existed peacefully with a cat) and would love to have one again but the reality is I live in a small first floor flat on a very busy road and 5 days a week I work long hours so it wouldn't be fair on a dog

5. Pete Bony

Oh the joys of having a dog! It's been a visit to the vet this morning. Harley has had to be registered with the vet, vaccinated and some medication and "special food" to settle his stomach. In a fortnights time he has to go again for another health check and for arrangements to be made to have part of his tail (which was injured and untreated) amputated and of course we have had to insure him. Then in another fortnight's time he has to go again to have his second vaccination.
    This is the price we sometimes have to pay for "rescuing" a dog that was in a bad situation.
    Even so we think the world of him!

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Our vet does a ‘wellness plan’. A small monthly direct debit covers vaccinations, worming, flea treatment, nail clipping and quarterly vet checks. Much cheaper than buying separately. Also discounted treatment and chipping.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

For dogs who don't get enough exercise?

Only time I've clipped the nails on one of mine was when we had a puppy and 3 months of snow so the claws were not getting worn down much.

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

i thought you had a husband ... could you not swap him for a dog.

Geren and steveandthedogs like this.
  9. Terrywoodenpic

He does not look that thin to me, such dogs should be on the lithe side. however he needs far more exercise as his muscle build up over his haunches seems rather under developed. Still the vet will put you right on his diet and need for exercise. and will probably look at his hips.

10. Pete Bony

The vet confirmed that he is nowhere near heavy enough and has sorted out a diet and exercise plan along with some medication for Harley. The muscle tone along his haunches and around his hips is near enough non existent but with the right care and exercise we are confident that we will be able to get him right..

daft_biker likes this.
  11. Terrywoodenpic

Sound like you have it in hand. and it will decrease the exercise levels of both You and your Mrs as well it is all to the good to all good.
    I take it he has but him on a fairly high protein diet for muscle building.
    In a while he will be able to catch his own rabbits.

12. Pete Bony

The wife has told me in no uncertain terms that if I want any rabbits (Which I do enjoy eating in a nice rabbit stew) I will have to go out and shoot them. As far as Marlene is concerned Harley is a pet and not a worker - It could be interesting when Harley is "as right as rain" and "fighting fit again" if I am walking him on one of my shooting permissions and a rabbit decides to get up and "exercise" Harley. He, he, he.;)

13. Pete Bony

We have signed up with our vets (Vets4Pets) on a Complete Care Plan which covers all of the following:- 1x Free consultation - Annual Vaccinations including a Full Clinical Examination - Year round prevention of Fleas and Worms - Seasonal Tick Prevention - Annual RHD2 vaccination - Seasonal Fly Strike protection and Kennel Cough vaccination. We thought it was a good idea to get this sort of veterinary cover for the little chap.

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oh if only...

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I was going to get insulted by this comment, but I was to tired from running my hound on 1500 acres of farm land which butts up to the army ranges, all of which I can access without going on any hard standing. Poor underexcercised bastard ;)

16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Bull x might be a bit hard-mouthed for soft prey.

17. Pete Bony

You are quite possibly right there but it might be fun finding out!:)

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It was a question, honest. I've only ever had labs.

Walking them is enough work... Stuff having to groom them too!

19. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If it had been a Dalmatian you coud have called it Helen.

Helen Dalmatian.

Geddit?

I'll get me coat.

Adrian

20. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

We don't own a dog. I'm not that bothered, my wife would love one, but we both accept we don't have the right home situation to do right by a dog.

Our friend owns a lurcher, and we dog sit for her when she wants to go out. So my wife gets plenty of dog-time without owning a dog. Win win.

Here's Mac.
    When we first met him.
    [​IMG]IMG_8347.jpg by Tony Evans, on Flickr

A few years later.
    [​IMG]I brought you a ball! by Tony Evans, on Flickr

That second shot was stolen by a pet food company and modified with photoshop before being included on their website. Pixsy got me a few quid for that one.