1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just saying hi

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Gibson67, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Gibson67

Gibson67 Well-Known Member

Hi all

Just wanting to introduce myself after deciding to take up photography. I’m Nige 51, living in Norfolk, I don’t as yet own a camera and was hoping for a little advice before I part with my cash. I have been looking at the Panasonic LUMIX fz1000 and most write ups seem to rate it, I plan on covering all aspects of photography, nature, landscapes urban city, architecture etc.

Look forward to hearing all your advice.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hello Nigel and welcome to the forums. The single most important thing about choosing a camera is to find one that you like to use, so don't just rely on specifications and reviews but go into a shop and try it out! Bridge cameras are getting better all the time. My wife won't touch an interchangeable lens camera and just shrugs if I say I've not got the right lens with me because she always has! She uses the Sony Rx10 mkiii which I think is much the same spec as the Lumix.

Geren likes this.
  3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

As well as what PeteRob said about what the camera is like to use, I would also suggest you consider what you want to do with the pictures. For example, are you only ever going to look at them on a PC monitor, or will you want to get large prints done to frame and display on the walls of your home? If the former, then there is no point in spending on a camera with a large sensor and large number of pixels on it (the largest TV screens you can buy are only about 8 megapixels). But if the latter, what is the largest size prints you will want to get? This is where the size of the sensor (surface area and megapixels) and the quality of the lens used become important.

Also, will you be a 'fully automated' user, or will you want to explore manual control and the creativity it allows?

One you can clarify what you want from the camera, it will be easier to offer helpful advice.
    Expensive mistakes are just as easy to make as inexpensive ones.

4. Gibson67

Thanks for the welcome and advice guys. I haven’t as yet purchased a camera but I’m now leaning towards a Nikon D5300. I if we’re to opt for this camera do you think the second hand route is a good option? As a complete beginner would the 18mm - 55mm that comes with it suit my needs? If it did then I’d probably buy new, or like I previously mentioned should I look at the used market with the 30mm - 700mm lens included. Finally should I worry about shutter count.

5. Gibson67

Sorry guys I meant to say the 70-300 mm lens!

6. PeteRob

I typed a long reply then watched my ipad delete it letter by letter with a stuck backspace key.

Short version. The 18-55 lens is bundled at low cost so that people can start taking pictures with their new camera. The angle of view is good for landscape through to portraiture and covers a large part of general photography. Most people who are keen will buy extra lenses eventually. Lenses cost more thsn cameras in the long run.

Dealers give a warranty with used cameras, s/h with warranty is OK. I started out using s/h cameras and lenses. Shutter count is not usually an issue - lack of use tends to be more of a problem than over use.

You won't find a 700 mm lens. If you want something longer than 300 mm they get big. The bridge cameras use equivalent focal length, so if a bridge camera says it has a 600 mm focal length the reality is something more like 100 mm.

7. PeteRob

That makes more sense. I don't know Nikon but with Canon there are good and not so good 70-300 mm. They are generally optimised toward the shorter end with the 300 mm for occasional use. A lens that is very good at 300 mm is an expensive lens.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

With Canon, all the 70-300 lenses are good to great; the 75-300 lenses are at best mediocre.

9. Gibson67

Thanks for that advice guys, I hope to shoot predominately wildlife as I have a small nature reserve a five minute walk away from where I live harbouring Otter, Kingfishers and Deer, so my guess is I will need a longer zoom to get up close.

10. PeteRob

Possibly. It depends on how close you can get. While long lenses and wildlife go together longer lenses are not something you can easily carry around. They tend also to not focus on close up things. I've been in a hide where the only action has been birds queuing for a feeder and not been able to take anything useful with a 400 mm lens because they were all too near!