1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Just my weekend runabout..

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by RovingMike, Jul 2, 2017.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

And as if to verify this tale...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-37255820

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Amazing. Didn't know that.

3. RovingMike

I can't begin to imagine how they do it.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Sticky back plastic a LA Blue Peter.....

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Plus a hairdryer I reckon

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yeah, they showed it being done on an episode of Wheeler Dealers - iirc they covered a mini in a black imitation carbon-fibre finish. Looked OK, but I would worry about how durable it would be.

Though the fact I don't drive does make the question somewhat irelevent.

7. dream_police

I think it's supposed to be quite durable. Don't think it's cheap!
    Of course expensive doesn't necessarily mean good.

8. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Well-Known Member

sorry to shatter your dreams, I saw this car in a business centre car park in Oldham a few months ago. I thought the same as you. Probably hung like a stud field mouse. I have a photo of an even uglier RR from Lake Garda. I'll post it up on my return to k.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I suspect the cost of a wrap is less than the difference between a mint example of that sort of car and one that shows it's miles and how many jealous people have tried to scratch it. And at the very least it's cheaper and should have better residual value than a horrid custom paintjob that nobody else wants.

Sometimes the wraps are done for events like Gumball 3000 and I guess are included in the ~£50k (IIRC) entrance fee.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I suspect the cost of a wrap is less than the difference between a mint example of that sort of car and one that shows it's miles and how many jealous people have tried to scratch it. And at the very least it's cheaper and should have better residual value than a horrid custom paintjob that nobody else wants.

Sometimes the wraps are done for events like Gumball 3000 and I guess are included in the ~£50k (IIRC) entrance fee.

11. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Well-Known Member

12. dream_police

Obviously not that rich. they couldn't afford to have it all in brass.:)

13. RovingMike

Spectacularly naff. I wouldn't be seen dead in Sirmione, it's sooo touristy. ;)

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Do you guys remember the Polaroid Porsches from the 70s and 80s?

Seems Polaroid were at this game long ago!

15. RovingMike

No but I googled them. Not a nice thing to do to a Porsche.

daft_biker likes this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There was a scene in an otherwise unmemorable film. A bloke's trying to pick up a woman who gives him the brush off by saying "I don't go out with men that drive Porsches - their dick's at the wrong end of their body".

RovingMike likes this.
  17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Is that why the best ones don't have back seats? No need!:)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  18. RovingMike

Looping back thru the area yesterday I thought I'd keep my eyes peeled for the rascal with the gold Bentley and I think I might have spotted him sneaking in incognito:

[​IMG]P7211033 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan and Craig20264 like this.