1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Just downloaded Canon Digital Photo Pro

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I am amazed

When you are asked to enter the serial number of your camera it accepted it from my EOS D60 :)

Nice one Canon

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Well it's only 18 years old... ;)

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes they made DPP4 back compatible. For a while, about when live view came out, they ran two versions.

4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

???

5. PeteRob

The current version is 4. Before that was 3. When 4 came out it only did the newest cameras of the time. So if you had an old and a new camera you had to run both 3 and 4. Gradually they made 4 back compatible so it now does every camera.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm running Win10, and I too have downloaded DPP4, thought I'd installed it, but when I try running it, I then get a message telling me that I need some Microsoft .NET Framework download, which I did and that didn't change the error message. (It was easier a decade or so ago...)
    What am I missing?

Many thanks

7. PeteRob

You might have to restart the computer. I haven’t used the PC version for years. I’m not uptodate with .NET.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Updating .NET Framework needs a Restart, usually prompts for one.

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Thanks both for your advice.
    I tried, twice, and it seems that I'm not going to be able to run DPP4. When I try running DPP4 I get directed to Microsoft's page which I've now seen several times, and where I thought I'd installed the Runtime version of .Net. Not to worry, I have lived without the use of raw files for many years, and I can't remember when I last made a decent sized print. (I'd need to install new inks in my A3 printer after it being quiet for over a decade.)

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The only other thing I can think of is you could go into 'Settings/Update & Security/View update history' and check that the update was successful - it'll be listed under 'Quality Updates'. But if it was successful, I don't know what else you can do. Sorry. :oops:

11. PeteRob

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I also loaded DPP 4 to look at some CR2 files. It worked perfectly. .NET framework normally gets updated if you accept the usual OS updates from Microsoft. I have just checked my own version of .NET framework. It is 4.8.04084.
    The only reliable way to check the version is to use regedit. You need admin rights to run it and you need to select 'Allow this program to make changes' in order to proceed. It is extremely important that you do not change anything in regedit. Just look. I will explain further if you want me to. However just remember that it is possible to screw up your computer if you misuse regedit.

13. PeteRob

Don’t open regedit unless you really, really know what you are doing.