1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just curious why ...

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PeteRob, Nov 18, 2020.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

..... the “subscription-free photo editor” line-up (17/11/20) excluded On1 software which markets itself as the subscription free alternative to LR/photoshop?

I bought the 2018 version to try out as a Lightroom 6.14 alternative and, although I opted for the Adobe Photography plan in the end, I still find it useful. I did decide not to buy the 2019 edition, the 2020 edition, and my email urges that the discounted offer on the 2021 edition ends soon!

Keeping up to date is not so different to paying a subscription, so maybe that’s the reason?

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My issue with subscription software is that, having bought the version that was suited to my needs, I don't necessarily want the additional functions and/or compatibility that come with the updated version.I am however paying for the new version if I subscribe even if I don't actually want it. Microsoft's most recent update to Windows 10 caused unwanted disruption to some users and I am sure other software will, on occasions, cause inconvenience for some/many users when implementation of a change results in a different interface.

Keeping up to date is, in practice, little different from subscribing but the real difference is that one need only update when one finds a reason to do so rather than being forced to update because the manufacturer has reason to do so.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

My main use of LR is the DAM. I use it for RAW conversion and some editing but I rarely use the PS part of my subscription.

Does any other program match the LR DAM function?

4. davidh

davidh Well-Known Member

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No. Not even dedicated digital asset management software, becasue that stuff is just too complex. LR fits the niche in the middle that no one else has managed to fill.

Bazarchie likes this.