1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just converted to Kodak - no more Ilford for me!

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by robc, Apr 12, 2007.

1. robc

robc Well-Known Member

Ever since I started shooting mono I have been an avid Ilford user - must have got through stacks of HP5 and Delta 400. As I was happy I never thought of trying other emuslions.

But I have just got back my first roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 and thats it, I am converted. The tones and contrast and just superb and it outshines any mono film I have used to date. For me it produces results that are everything that mono should be about.

Admitedly I love contrasty film and it may be more suited to my style of photography (reportage, street, travel) than others, but for me it is perfection.

So, I am sorry Ilford, my faithful friend, but all good things come to an end (though I may keep a few rolls of HP5 in the bottom of the bag simply as it is so flexible.)

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I have a roll of Tri-X in my F80 as we speak so I'm keen to finish it off and see the results.

3. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Tri X is fantastic agreed, but I could never desert FP4. I like the "bite". Another point is Ilford seem more committed to film in general than Kodak.

4. robc

robc Well-Known Member

Agreed - sad but true. And I admire Ilford for bouncing back the way they did and staying committed. If Kodak do pack in film, I will be a happy user of HP5 again, but for the time being I am stocking up on Tri-X.

What has really got me about Tri-X is the dark end of the grey-scale, it is fantastic.

5. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I believe they've stopped doing Infra red, and I think they announced the end of Tri X a while back until the announcement resulted in increased sales! I like the contrast of it, and it is great with the darker tones as you say.

6. dyncoed

dyncoed Well-Known Member

Tri-x is even better if you shoot it on medium format. I tried it many years ago on my first foray into medium format.
    I shoot it now on 35mm myself, but it doesnt always fit into my style, except if i do people pics. I tend to use more Ilford Pan F and FP4, the finer grain lets me go a bit bigger printing at home (i know do up to 12x9.5, working up to 16x12!).

Mark

7. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

I live 2 miles from the Ilford factory and want to support a local employer, but I now use Tri-X for air photography as it is the only surviving 220 format B&W film. Before that I had used Delta 400 and must say I preferred it in that particular role as its resolution is a bit better, but I agree Tri-X is very nice stuff. I still use Delta 400 on the ground, along with a lot of Pan F (which is glorious deved in Neofin Bleu) and am really hoping that the long talked about Delta 25 does see the light of day, so I guess Ilford are still my main supplier.

8. The Circle Of Confusion

The Circle Of Confusion Well-Known Member

I've been tempted to the dark side too. I used a roll of Tri-X a few months back and really loved it. Ironically Kodak changed Tri-X a little while ago and the hardcore devotees got really hacked off.

9. The Circle Of Confusion

I do like a bit of Pan-F, it's just gorgeous stuff. I've never tried it with Neofin Bleu. What is it about that combo that you particularly like?

10. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I used Tri-X many, many moons ago in my yoof, but I'm a committted Ilford user these days. If you're processing and scanning, you've got a reasonable choice of B&W emulsions to choose from and if Tri-X fits your bill, great. I've been hearing for years how good it is. Personally, I've always rated Ilford films (especially HP5) and I know how to get the best from them. Trouble is, if you want to try your hand at trad printing, Ilford is the only major company still making trad papers and chemistry. Kodak dropped that side of their operation like a hot potato and I've no reason to think that they won't do the same with their B&W films in time. Luckily for us dabblers, Ilford seem committed to trad B&W and this alone earns them my loyalty. Kodak can get stuffed.

11. Woolliscroft

Neofin Bleu is a high acutance developer. It gives superb sharpness, like nothing else I have ever seen, albeit at the cost of a slight grain increase.

12. robc

robc Well-Known Member

Hear you loud and clear Taxor and I think it is only right to keeping supporting (i.e buying from) those companies that have committed to production - otherwise we lose them too. To that end I will not be losing Ilford entirely from my armoury, Delta 3200 for example will certainly be kept stocked up in my fridge, and I will always have some HP5 around as it is so flexible for push and pull. Only change is that Trix will be my "go to" mono film from now on - hopefully that is doing my bit to keeping both Kodak and Ilford producing mono film, which can only be a good thing.

13. The Circle Of Confusion

Thanks for the info, I might give it a go. Any excuse to mess about in the darkroom :D

14. The Circle Of Confusion

I might have allowed a few rolls of Tri-X into my fridge but fear not, it is still stuffed with plenty of FP4, PanF, and HP5. :cool:

15. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind trying Neofin bleu myself. Another superb acutance developer, if you can get it, is Dixactol. It's a staining developer and a a bit pernickety in use but the results on 'old fashioned' emulsions like HP5 (and Tri-X falls into this category) are fantastic. Acutance is razor sharp, although in 35mm, grain can be a little obtrusive. Edge effects (if you like that kind of thing) accentuate the apparent sharpness of the image. Exactol Lux is similar to Dixactol, but a little less 'full on' and better granularity.

16. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I think the only kodak b&w film I ever used was Tri-x, most of my B&W was Ilford FP4 or HP5. I found that this suited my needs, although I did try technical pan 2415 once.

17. Woolliscroft

Neofin Bleu is only recommended for use with slower films, because of the same grain issue, although it will work with faster films. There used to be a Neofin Red designed for fast films, but I think that this is now long discontinued.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Dixactol gets absolutely superb results from TMax 100 - a film I detest with any other dev. It tames the contrast, and gets phenomenal resolution and acutance.

I always used to love Pan F with Acutol, but these days I'm a determined HP5/Rodinal guy at the other end of the spectrum.

19. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I like using Tri-x in my MJUII

20. Ambler

Ambler Active Member

There was some confusion over Kodak's infra-red films but Kodak have comfirmed that it is the colour E6 film which is going (there are stocks for several months). The black & white IR film will continue to be made. It seems sales of the colour film had reached a very low level - use it or lose it I suppose.