1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought an X-Pro 2 and looking for a lens....

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Rhys, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee Member

I have a 16, 35 and 50mm but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm over-equipped. I don't plan on using the 55-200 when I get to go away on city breaks soon, just the primes, but I find myself mostly using the 35mm. I'm getting tempted to bring one body and one lens as an experiment. A standard lens has this strange effect of forcing you to spend more time considering each picture. And taking more pictures. You could get yourself a 35mm 1.4 secondhand within your budget with money over for a few coffees. Is that a controversial thing to suggest?!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It’s called an X100 :).

The post you are replying to is just short of 2 years old but you make a valid point. I have long tended to take one lens with me, according to what I what to do. I see no point in lugging a tonne of stuff about just in case. I think zooms are useful and these days they do the job pretty well.

3. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee Member

Yeah, ironically I originally got interested in the X100f once I saw the sample photos on DPreview. I once did a long local walk (I'm near Hadrian's Wall) and nearly everything I took was on a 50mm. It motivated a purchase of the 55-200, but I find when I take it with me that it gets mostly used when set at 55mm. Daresay I'll chicken out at the last minute, lug three primes around on holiday, then mostly use just one!

4. PeteRob

The next fuji lens I’ll buy will be the 16-80 to replace the 18-55. To my mind this covers 90% of useful focal lengths for general photography. The 55-200 is good but I find 55 a bit of an odd cut-point. I find 70-200 on full frame OK though.

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

It's the 23mm f1.4 that's most often on my XT-2, but I also have the 16mm f2.8 and the 60mm f2.4. I will probably soon buy the 23mm f2 WR for rainy day photography, but whatever the combination, the XT-2 meets all my current photographic requirements (though I've a Nikon D800 and a couple of fine Nikon lenses in a cupboard).

6. Phiggys

Phiggys Member

XF 27mm f2.8 sits nicely on my Xpro 1 Body a happy medium between the XF 35mm f1.4 and the XF18mmf2.0 in fact it fits very nicely on any of my Fujifilm X bodies is compact and fits in a good sized jacket pocket.
    Also 2 of those lenses have recently been updated but I’m happy with the original offerings.

7. PeteRob

I had the strange experience that neither of two examples of that (original) lens would focus happily on my X E2. They both hunted wildly all over the place before settling. This was inside LCE so possibly the artificial light played a role. The shop put both lenses on a demo XT (probably a new at the time 3) and both worked perfectly. Very odd. All were on latest firmware for the time, which was firmware 4 for the camera, which brought it up to the replacement model, XE-2s, spec.

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

So, what lens didja buy?

Cheers,
    Jack