1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought an OM1n

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Bone_Idle, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

On a bit of a whim, last minute bid on ebay, was an OK price but didn't have time to do any research. Thought it might make a nice upgrade to my OM40.

I guess the question is, is it a good camera and is there anything I should know about it? (I mean the OM1n in general, not my particular camera:))

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

No particular issues except the battery (PX625 mercury cell, impossible to source, zinc/air Wein cells work OK but are expensive & don't last well) ... fortunately the battery has no function except to operate the meter.

OM1 - OM1n are actually my favourite of the OM range. Not much to go wrong.

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

It's a lovely camera. Had one when they first came out then the OM2. As BJB says the OM1 is the classic although I still fancy an OM4ti.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

They are charming little cameras, I have one as a keepsake. There is an answer to the battery issue, the Small Battery Company sell an adaptor with a built in resistor to allow use of a currently available battery.

5. Bone_Idle

Still waiting for it to arrive.

I did a bit of research on the battery, and in the short term I'm going to use the hearing aid battery trick. Don't last as long, but are dirt chap. 6 Duracell for £2.25.

I remember doing something similar with my Olympus 35RC, but though the batteries were a different size (seems they're now), for some reason I used to get quite a decent time out of them.

Can't wait to try it.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

What lens did you get with it? Presumably the 50mm f1.8 which I would have preferred when I bought an OM10 recently but that came with a Tokina 35mm f2.8, however now I have got used to the shorter focal length I find it a really useful lens

Roger

7. Bone_Idle

Hi Roger,

It's body only, I have the 50mm f1/8 I got with my OM40, so didn't feel I needed to duplicate them.

I only have 2 OM lenses at the moment, the 50mm and the cheaper 135mm f/3.5.

I wouldn't mind a 35mm or even a 28mm, but I think that would be enough. to be honest, I find that the OM40 keeps the 50mm on 99% of the time.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Good man!

Good camera! {But the wind on is a bit rough compared to the OM1 because of the gearing.}

Don't know off hand if the OM1n suffers from the foam bounce strip in the mirror box decaying: if it does you will notice it in the viewfinder. Posters above are bound to have mentioned the battery for the meter. Various options abound on that: Wein cells, various conversions, seeking mercury filled, correct voltage ones from dim'n'dark corners of the globe, not bothering & using a hand meter, etc.

When I have more time I'll browse the Thread thoroughly but in the meantime I wish you every happiness together. :D Aaah!

9. Bone_Idle

turns out it's an OM1 not OM1n. I was confused as I was watching a few.

not had time to play yet, been stuck down with the Norovirus, but it looks in good condition.

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Nasty! Get well soon. Don't let the germs into that nice little camera! :) {I caught the norovirus some years back along with a whole bunch of camera club members via the refreshments. Dangerous stuff this photography lark. 'Cold turkey', not eating and drinking only boiled water for thirty-six hours, was my way out.}

When better, check the viewfinder view and look for staining at the bottom or see if you can see the prism surfaces revealed by what looks like limescale or a haze or mould.

If clear, all well and good. If present but miniscule or mild, then it's probably going to get worse over time. You may be able to live with it/work around it for some years.

If it's really bad then the only option is a prism replacement. Miles Whitehead did my favourite OM1, putting an OM10 prism in there from a scrap camera AND at the same time doing a conversion to take the current, non-mercury PX625 cell which is much cheaper and longer lasting than the Wein cell.

Miles can be contacted via his web-site: www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk

Don't know what his current charge is for this but when I had it done it was a bargain. One caveat: Miles is a pro repairer of pro cameras. Amateur jobs go to the back of a queue, obviously, as guys who need cameras to earn a living take priority.

11. Bone_Idle

I'm a lot better today, thanks. Back at work, but not feeling 100%, think I'm just a bit drained due to not eating for a a couple of days!

I had a quick look through the camera with lens attached, it is a little hazy when pointing at a bright light source. I really need to try in daylight.

thanks for the link, I think the camera is a keeper, so if I feel it needs the repaid I'm happy to spend a bit on it.

12. graham_mouat

graham_mouat Well-Known Member

I would check the serial number.

According to John Hermanson, a respected Oly technician in the Sates, not all OM-1 cameras had prism foam, though all OM-1n's did.

He says that OM-1 were made with no prism foam from (approx) 1,119,xxx (3/77) to 1,623,xxx (11/78). If yours is one of those then you needn't worry about it. Info from here:

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2003-11/msg01774.html

The foam rots the prism. See here

http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/tutorials/FoamRemoval/index.html

John's website is here

http://www.zuiko.com/

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  13. Bone_Idle

I'll check tonight thanks.

In decent light (rather than pointing at a bulb in a dark room) the VF seems fine.
    I've also ready that cleaning the focus screen can make a difference to clarity.

I'm finding the light meter needle hard to get used to, it's not the clearest indicator!

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's of its time. It's one of the reasons I slightly prefer the Pentax MX - the LEDs it uses are much easier to see.

15. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

..........and remember NOT to use hearing aid batteries, which although powering the meter.........will be the WRONG voltage and will thus give an incorrect reading with the meter needle so absolutely useless..........use the adapter suggested by nimbus.

BigWill

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

But you could re-calibrate the meter and after working out how far off it the reading is set the film speed to an appropriate multiple of the real speed. That's on the assumption (I believe correct) that the OM1 pre-dates the cameras that read the speed off the cassette.

Roger

17. Bone_Idle

Thought the 1.4 v compared to 1.35 was supposed to be fairly negligible? Never had a problem with my Olympus 35RC using hearing aid batteries! But I probably couldn't tell anyway!