1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Just bought a new Pentax

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Well ......................... K10

Never had a Pentax

What a lovely camera, so solid, well made.

I did always say that had I not already had Nikon I would have gone Pentax

LCE

Body, battery grip MINT, 2 batteries, charger, straps £100

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My first DLR was a K10, which I purchased new in 2007 (after 27 years using a Pentax MX and Kodachrome), and replaced with a new with a K5 in 2013. Both were purchased after being replaced by new models, and were being sold off at almost affordable prices, but if buying today I would only consider secondhand stuff because so much more is now available.

My K10, with attached Tamron 18-250 and a large collapsible rubber lens hood survived a drop of about 50-60 cm from a pew to a granite floor in a cathedral in Italy. The big rubber lens hood saved the lens (which I still have) and the camera body was undamaged.

The K10 was built like a tank, but for me its two limitations were its Samsung sensor's limited high ISO performance and the fact that the ISO could only be adjusted by delving into the menus. The K5, by using a later generation Sony sensor, and having an ISO button on the top plate linked to a control dial which allows ISO adjustment without taking my eye from the viewfinder, fixed both these things. It is also a slightly more compact body design, but again with the build quality resulting from a stainless steel chassis under the skin. Both models were the top of the range when first introduced, built accordingly, and equipped with two control wheels (which allows me to set the front one to aperture and the back one to shutter speed for manual exposure on my K5).

The change from a 10 megapixel sensor to a 16 mp one made less difference than I expected for prints up to 40 x 60 cm if the ISO was low - the quality of the lens used appears to be more important. At larger size prints the higher sensor resolution begin to show more.

The K10 appears to have held its value well - I got £100 in part-exchange against a secondhand Sigma 30 mm F 1.4 at LCE in 2013. It was a body only, boxed with the manual and charger, the original battery and a second battery I had purchased later. I never had an 18-55 kit lens, but got a Tamron 18-250 that came as a 'package' with the discontinued K10 body in 2007. The body and this lens sold for the same price as the body alone had a few month before. It's not the sharpest lens at longer focal lengths, but I have some wonderful pictures I took on trips to Tuscany and Venice with it and the K10, when it was the only lens I had and I was travelling as light as possible.

You don't say if you want any other stuff to use with the K10, but since you already have a spare battery, check the websites of AP's advertisers regularly if you want any secondhand lenses. Since 2007 I've found the following autofocus lenses 'mint secondhand': Sigma 10-20 (old model), Sigma 30 mm F 1.4 prime, Sigma 50 mm F 2.8 macro, Tamron 90 mm macro (now over 20 years old), Tokina 80-400 (also ancient) and the most versatile of all - an old model Sigma 17-70 which is the ideal 'I only want to carry one lens' solution (and sharper than the Tamron 18-250). Some of these can now be found a very reasonable prices.

Finally, the 'in body' stabilisation only works well for shorter focal length lenses. For longer ones, stick with the old advice about fast shutter speeds.

Have fun - there is no reason why the K10 should't last you for a long time. Only consider an 'upgrade' if (like me) you want some specific things it cannot do.

3. Stephen Rundle

:( :( :(

Sent back today

GREAT camera, but YOU hit the nail on the head, for 400mm it was useless stabilisation, and did not work with any lenses with a T2 adaptor

100% for anyone

stick with the old advice about fast shutter speeds

Except with just 1,600 asa and f8 lenses it is no use :(

4. Chester AP

When I first got my K10, I tried some of my old manual focus K mount lenses with it. All worked, including an 'Adaptall' mount Tamron 500 mm F 8 mirror lens that I had borrowed from a friend (the mount is similar to a T2). The camera prompted me to to tell it what the focal length of the lens was so that it could adjust its image stabilisation to match. Subject to the maximum ISO I could use, I had no problem with correct exposure with any of the lenses. The problem was accurate focusing with apertures like F 8 because the viewfinder image was very dim unless used in very bright light, the focusing screen lacked the 'split prism' focusing aid found on older film SLRs.

This is one of the 'in focus' shots I got using the 500 mm F 8 mirror lens on the K10 body. It is the 'straight from the camera' JPG with only a levels adjustment to increase the contrast. I believe the farm buildings on the nearer ridge are at least half a mile away - and notice the farmer on his quad bike in the lower right corner. I used a tripod, with ISO 100 and 1/800 second. A handheld shot was impossible at this ISO and focal length, but perhaps ISO 400 at 1/3200 would have worked handheld if I could have kept the lens correctly pointed at the subject when using it that way.

_IGP6995A 1000.jpg

I used my Tamron 18-250 at 250 mm on the K10 many times, and the problem was the image definition at this focal length with that lens. There was never a problem with exposure or a blurred image as long as I used a sensible shutter speed. This is an example, using ISO 800, F 8 and 1/2000 second because it was handheld. This is sharp enough to be printed to 20 x 30 cm (I have a framed copy), but would not look good much larger. Again, it is the 'straight from the camera' JPG with only a levels adjustment to increase the contrast.

IMGP1221A 1000.jpg

Try again with your T2 mount lenses - any K mount lens like this without electrical or autofocus contacts should make the camera ask you for the focal length of the lens (I recall list of suggestions appearing on the LCD screen on the back of the camera body, and if no exact match you select the one nearest to that of your lens). The camera body would not allow you to continue until the focal length figure had been selected. You should be able to use any lens with a K mount on a K10 or more recent bodies, but sometimes the process can be frustrating with older lenses.

Have fun.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Like, Chester, I had a Tamron 18-250 starting with my K200D and, then, on to my K-r which was great until my kit decided to leap out of my locker on to the concrete floor and, after which, I was left with a perfectly fine K-r and perfectly fine Tamron 105-250 ;) I replaced the 105-250 with a Tamron 18-200 which worked wonderfully :) I was never able to afford one of the "high end" Pentax DSLR's until a 2 month period when, as the saying goes, "when it rains, it pours", I came across a mint condition K-3 (for about £60 :eek: ) and a mate of mine came back from Hong Kong with a gift for me -- a K-5ii w/ a DA21/3.2 (for no cost :eek: :eek: :eek: ), then, when I figured it couldn't get any better, I came across a used Tamron 70-200/2.8 for the same price as the K-3 :eek:.

As for using old Manual Focus lenses, i have an old Takumar 400/5.6 and USSR made PhotoSniper 300/4.5 (both thread mounts) which I use from time to time :)

Cracking photos, Chester, :)

Cheers and what was the question ?? :D

Jack

6. Stephen Rundle

Great shots, I just found the max iso so very limiting

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

This has been one of the "great" advancements in technology in recent years - performance at higher ISO levels, to the extent that many people now expect as normal what would have been considered next-to-impossible a few years ago.
    K10 was on my shortlist when I was buying my first DSLR but just missed out to the Nikon D80. Ah, the days of tiny (again, by modern standards) fixed, rear LCD screens, and high ISO's of 3200 !

8. Chester AP

Thank you.
    The first (500 mm mirror lens) was taken from an upstairs room in my house, and the second is a view from the Pienza in Tuscany.
    Both show that the K10 was a decent camera body and capable of images like this if used carefully - I only upgraded to a K5 when it was discontinued (so more affordable) and because I wanted the better high ISO performance of its Sony 16 MP sensor. The ability to change the ISO setting without going into a menu or taking my eye from the viewfinder was the major handling improvement.

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Amen to the ISO changing, Chester :)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

My K100d worked just fine with T2 lenses as long as you entered the focal length manually for SR. I was able to manage better with my 500/8 on the crop sensor than I ever did with film.
    The ISO was one of the reasons for subsequent upgrades.