1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Just a heads up

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by pixelpuffin, Jul 5, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

1FA532FA-A5F0-4D47-B0BB-86DBFEFD18CE.jpeg 81E075B7-37C0-4FB0-88EC-6CCD9A7CB082.jpeg 27FB7680-9A01-431F-A5D6-FD677131E1A0.jpeg E5308251-9DB2-4037-9927-D9FE72662E60.jpeg 232A53E5-9BF4-4F62-AE4C-5FA2823429F8.jpeg 0FC985E8-FE3B-46C4-8F64-203D93231474.jpeg I’ve recently been using the canon SL1 with the 40mm pancake lens
    Initially I had both UV filter and rubber hood fitted. But soon got sick of the rubber hood and constantly blowing dust off the filter
    Decided to buy a clone of the official hood. At first it seemed pointless as it has no depth. However after reading up and realising this was specifically designed to offer effective shade whilst at the same time not increasing the size. It soon becomes obvious how clever the idea is. All light coming in at acute angles is blocked whilst the central hole allows light to the lens. Simple but extremely effective, better than the rubber hood. Plus the hood does away with the need of a UV filter as protection. A simple rocket blower now keeps the lens clean and there is zero chance of my fingers accidentally touching the front element.
    It worked like a charm...except the 40mm is still f2.8!! I needed a faster lens
    So I began using the 50mm STM
    Same problem, use of big stupid lens hood also necessitated the need for a UV filter to again protect the front lens.
    I decided to explore different ideas

it transpires that the lens hood for the Pentax 40mm f2.0 also shares the same principle as the canon 40mm stm hood
    Difference is the hood is slightly convex but is also 49mm filter thread.
    Same as 50mm stm
    Decided to buy the clone version from China (£12) as half price of Pentax OEM
    WOW, it works like a charm
    I now have the 50mm on my SL1 and the 40 on my full frame
    The pancake hood for the 40stm also works with the 24stm
    I’ve been out twice with just the SL1 with 50stm and 24stm
    So easy to carry

Just to note the pancake hood on the 50 won’t work if using full frame (heavy vignetting) so I use the 50 f1.4 on full frame with its own proper hood

just thought I’d give a heads up incase anyone is interested

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Even cheaper for the EF-S 24mm STM is a £5 uv filter with the glass popped out.

3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t have thought so??
    Wouldn’t that then just be a 52mm threaded 7mm tube? Absolutely zero effectiveness as a lens shade.
    If you look closer the proper pancake hood is basically a large black threaded washer designed to act as a baffle to block extraneous light

funnily enough the 35mm f2.8 stm macro uses exactly the same principle That hood also doubles as a protective cover for the built in lights
    Ingenious

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020