1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis 5 year guarantee

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Anybody had any experience of claiming under these guarantees?

The protection offered is:

If we can't repair your TV, we'll replace it with a TV of equivalent specification. If no equivalent product is available, we'll either offer you the nearest equivalent specification or its selling price value , and we'll always do our best to make sure you're satisfied with the outcome.

My daughter bought a tv 4 years ago which has developed a fault that cannot be repaired. JL have offered full refund and have suggested a replacement but she will need to pay the difference between the refund and the price of the new tv. This is not in accordance with the terms. They have not said if there is an equivalent.

I am not clear how the equivalent specification is determined given TV technology is forever changing. In simple terms is a 40 inch LED smart TV the equivalent of a four year old 40 inch LED smart TV?

I think part of the issue is that she bought it during one of their sales so in price terms the equivalent, whatever that may be, is quite a bit more expensive at full price.

I have never had a problem with JL but current feedback suggests their service levels are falling. Profits are also falling.

We will probably accept their offer as it means she has had a TV for four years at no cost, but I would rather they kept to their terms.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The terms do give them wiggle room to weasel out if you see it that way. However had the set been bought at most other retailers she would now be left with a four year old television that doesn't work and nothing else, or have an extended warranty that cost as much as a TV.

I would consider an equivalent would be a set of the same size and functions of a similar brand, so if the set was Samsung for example, that would mean Panasonic, Sony, Samsung or LG. If it was Toshiba, the same brand or other low-mid range.

I take it the set is a 40" model, that may well be where the problem lies, there are not now all that many sets with that size screen, JL probably don't stock much in that size, most people now opt for 49/50+ screens, or a smaller set, such as a 32" for secondary use.

Richer Sounds also offer an extended warranty included with televisions, as do Costco-if you are a member or know somebody who is.

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be a problem with the replacement as long as it is of equal value or spec.
    We have been through this with them, and our original TV was more expensive than the one they offered as replacement, (tech moved on) so we got the TV and some money.
    We now have a TV which requires replacement but want a slightly better model, so we will need to pay the difference. I don't see this as a problem as the tech difference counts for a lot.
    a Smart TV is not the equivalent of a non- smart TV, but is of course the same as another smart TV, so one for the other shouldn't be an issue unless there is a price difference.
    We're still waiting for them to get back to us, I will have to call them again.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is an ambiguity in that line does "its selling price value" apply to the equivalent product or the original product? If it is the selling price of the original they have met the terms of their guarantee. If the phrase applies to the replacement they may not have met the terms, the cost of determining which is the case will be more than the difference.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Back in 2015, companies such as Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony stopped manufacturing TV screens because they couldn't compete with the lower production costs of s Korean manufacturers; One of the types of screen (can't remember which one) was manufactured almost entirely by I think Toshiba, which had a reputation for delivering better image quality than the others and I don't think the S Korean manufacturers decided to also produce this particular type of screen.

If I am right and this type of screen technology is what your tv uses, this might be the reason why you are having a problem finding a screen that delivers comparable quality to the one that has expired?

6. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

As an aside to what I've already said, manufacturers and some consumers are continually seeking 'better' products, but technology progresses at a much slower rate, so the 'game' of bigger/more pixels etc gets employed instead.

I don't need/want a bigger tv, as it intrudes within the room as much as I want already, so unless there occurs a significant advancement in image quality, that tv isn't going to be upgraded, which isn't what retailers and manufacturers want me to do, as their R&D, shareholders want to see a manufacturer's sales increasing!

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ever increasing sales is a physical impossibility, sooner or later we will run out of something.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Money?

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Afaik Toshiba do not manufacture panels (screens), Samsung certainly supplied panels to Sony. Toshiba do not manufacture TVs now, sets carrying this brand are actually made in Turkey by Vestel, as are quite a lot of other secondary or store own-brand TVs (such as Hitachi for Argos & JVC for Currys). The waters are rather muddied beyond the main four leading brands as to who makes what for who, you will also see Ferguson, these are made by Cello, surprisingly in England!

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The reason why, as with cameras there is technology drip with less and less discernible improvement from one upgrade to the next, to keep people buying and "upgrading". 8K television for example.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Followed by 8K Blu-ray players and the discs to put in them, so you can end up having Star Wars on video-tape, Laser disc, DVD, Blu-ray, 4K Blu-ray and 8K Blu-ray!

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

...and never watch any of them!

13. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Personally I would rip their hand off snatching their offer.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses.

You are correct. The screen is 40" whereas the nearest in now 42".

This is the key point. If they are referring to the original selling price then they will never offer an equivalent which has a higher selling price. I read it to mean the price of the equivalent.

It is the same screen technology as in the current models.

We probably will. When the fault occurred she thought that she would have to buy a new one. I suggested she should check the guarantee as I thought that JL always gave 5 year guarantees. Sometimes Dad get it right, but not often.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Realistically, they aren't going to refund more than was paid.