1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jetty, trees, mono and LE alert!

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Your thoughts and comments on this would be appreciated. The colour wasn't really doing it for me so went for the mandatory conversion to B&W.
    It's a shot I've wanted to do for a while but have been waiting for autumn colour. Impatience got the better of me and I went to the location early to check it out before autumn does its magic on the trees.

[​IMG]

The compression isn't doing me any favours so the larger file can be found below.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/roksoff/10127270685/in/photostream/

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Colour would almost certainly not work here with the prevailing lighting, but it doesn't necessarily mean that mono will either. I somehow feel that the dark tones are a bit heavy, it all feels a bit foreboding in a Harry Potteresque way!

3. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Given that I naturally underexpose or PP darker than the average... I do like it as it is... but my only niggle is the closed gate or it is just a veranda with a "take a safer dive facility".
    Being the veranda a set of frames... why not compose from a lower angle.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. Helander

Foreboding is good for me Nimbus, as long as I provoke some kind of human emotion/reaction then I'm a happy man.
    Cheers.

5. Helander

Yep, they niggle me too Luis but they're not gates but fixed in place to stop folks falling off I guess.
    There's 3 or 4 of these jettys dotted around the lochan and they are all the same, fixed in place.
    Might have to add a bushman to my kit bag. :D

6. ABarata

ABarata Member

Works for me too

7. Helander

Missed your edited post.
    Lower angle wouldn't work for me Luis. The posts at the end of the jetty would start to encroach on the distant shoreline which is a no no for me. I like every element to have it's own space with room to breathe.

8. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Would a ladder do the opposite? I commute in public transportation and for me it is impossible... but probably not a problem for you. I can understand how impatient you are about the location. It merits your eagerness.
    Cheers,
    Luis

9. Helander

LOL....yes, a step ladder would have been handy.;)
    The thing is there's often only one sweet spot to keep the verticals vertical or near as damn it.
    I compromised a little here and done the rest with manual lens correction to keep the upright posts vertical or as close as, they were all wonky.

10. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

Health and safety spoils some great opportunities, the number of times I've turned down a jetty because of the silly handrails blocking the shot, urrgh! I know I sound like a broken record but in this case I really do think this would have worked fantastic without the jetty, I can see some superb reflections in the water behind and the toning and post work in BW is just insanely brilliant! I think even Mr Adams would have been proud of something like this.

11. Ednewbie

Ednewbie Well-Known Member

Your photo made me stop and have a good look. There is a lot to admire in it. I'd prefer it without the jetty. For me, the scenery is so much grander.

....and just to stop me wondering, what is LE? :confused:

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Long Exposure?

13. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong to feel this way but I really like it exactly as it is. I like the jetty, I like the "doors" and I like the exposure. A lovely photograph IMHO :)

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Your dead right it isn't. The large version is cracking. Possibly the brighter clump of trees could be a little brighter but otherwise...

:cool::cool::cool:

15. Helander

Thanks. Funny you should mention the brighter clump of trees, after the conversion they were screaming bright so I pulled them back a little. I see what you mean so I've upped the exposure on them a little.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Bottom 1/4 or 1/3 of the jetty (maybe three planks worth?) does nothing for me except remind me why I prefer squarer aspect ratios. ;)

Otherwise very nice, but I think the step ladder would have made it even better. Lots of jetties are shot at this angle or lower, very few from higher - and the added reflections would have been a bonus.

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Square sets this up a treat:

[​IMG]

But there is also an option with a bit more foreground that makes the whole of the wood fall nicely in a third. Balance might just be nicer.

18. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

It's another good shot from you. It is a shame about the jetty style but you've composed it very nicely and your processing is great. The square crop works very well too.

19. Helander

Cheers folks, liking the square crop RM.

20. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

yup, it is a Rollei shot (square).

The ladder idea used to be mooted by one of the long serving threaders (Roving was that you?) as part of the essential kit for an amateur photog. Recall a Victorian who had an entire scaffolding built so he could snap a sphinx face square on without tilt and shift.......

Agree with Helander that a low shot could be problematic with near woodwork swamping the actual scene - also would've tried going to the rail and ignoring the jetty lead lines in favour of reflections (Ednewbie).

Foreboding = emotional response, Helander, your work here is done! [​IMG]