1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Jessops' mystery shoppers to boost service

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, May 25, 2010.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Good to see they are taking their chain seriously and are actively trying to adress issues which could see them doing better.

I just hope the mystery shoppers'll know something about the products they are asking about.

As i've mentioned many times on here before, i was told by one jessops employee that the canon 7D had two imageing sensors instead of the two digic4 prosessors it has, even after prompting from myself. An obvious missunderstanding on his part but if the mistery shoppers don't have the smarts the entire process is just an excersise in seeing how nice their employees are as apposed to how knowlageable which is important considering the direction jessops are taking in "advice for (photographic) life".

3. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

It would also be interesting to know if the mystery shoppers are looking at the best interests of the company or those of the customer.

Are they effectively checking that their staff are selling the kit with the best margins or that each customer leaves with the kit that best suits their needs?

4. Paddysnapper

Paddysnapper Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope this works, I would love to have been that mystery shopper last Tuesday in York. I did succeed after some time spent talking to a sales man who hadn't the foggiest clue what I was talking about, manage to buy a Nikkor 35mm lens. He was so engrossed by something he was reading I had to attract his attention to get served, and the shop was very, very, quiet

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Perhaps he was reading his redundancy notice.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

To be fair to Jessops in York the assistant on duty when I went in a couple of weeks ago was very helpful. Admittedly I only wanted some prints but he clearly decided I was a doddery old fool (perhaps correctly) and guided me through the self service print machines in a very helpful manner. I went in at 9.15 and the shop was fairly empty but when I went back later in the morning to collect the prints it was very busy.

Roger

7. Paddysnapper

Paddysnapper Well-Known Member

If it was the same assistant, then instant printing is obviously his forte :D..Not the knowledge to sell lenses.

I have been lucky in the past with Jessops, and have left a considerable amount of hard earned cash in their tills over the years. But this is the first time I have encountered the famous (or so tis. said) Jessops NFI attitude. :eek:

8. ikonik12

ikonik12 Well-Known Member

JESSOPS ON MYSTERY SHOPPER PROGRAMME " They'll be happening consistently throughout the year. The results of these are reported to the board within 24 hours, so I can see who is truly delivering excellence…"

thats great.. but what if non of the staff members are even achieving anywhere close to excellence ? what will they do then?

i think the mystery shopper is extremely helpful to jessops .. it will certainly help single out those branches that they are looking to close down ... especialy if they are heavily underperforming compared to the stores last years figures.

Jessops also add to " reward staff on the back of the service they deliver 'not necessarily on the profitability that they generate per head'.
    question... why should staff members be rewarded ....for something they should already be doing?

if that is the case ? Im wondering too.. if the reports are remaining anonymous or have they been told to report the serving Jessops staff members name on them?

THEY can train constantly and become PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT GURUs but if your price is not lower than anywhere else...
    then it would be a waste of training

suck it and see approach is worth a punt i suppose ?

another advantage of a mystery shopper programmes is ...for the duration Jessops managment are telling the staff its happening.. it is mentaly conditioning the staff to step up their game as they are *potentialy* going to be *possibly* monitored each month. " so lets see the training we are investing.... being utilised eh? "

i can almost hear the customer speech checklists being read and drilled in to staff instore... relayed from the companies weekly fact sheets.

:cool:

9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

How to get first rate service in Jessops during Summer 2010 - Just drop a few less than subtle clues you might be a mystery shopper. ;)

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It will be easy to tell the "Mystery Shoppers", they will be the only ones in the shop.

11. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Sadly that's all I've encountered in the last decade, with the exception of one sales assistant in my local branch. But she had an excuse for being 'in the know', she was doing a photography/fine arts degree! :rolleyes:

As for 'Mystery Shoppers'; why didn't they just listen to the customers who have left them in droves in recent years...

12. ikonik12

something ive also noticed with regards to the jessops customer service.. is that they fluctuate their prices on their website daily ...

for example ive been tracking the price of the FUJI s200exr on their site for a couple of weeks as a friend is looking to purchase it, and on thursday 29th may, it was an exclusive ONLINE web deal of £299..... now today ( 30th MAy ) it is an exclusive website deal of £329 !!!!???

and its been that way throughout recent weeks too !

now forgive me for being a bit clueless to the way business works BUT

maybe they should place on their website the actual price instore compared to the website deals... as that would help them to be customer focused...... wouldnt it ?

OR
    for anybody interested.. adsa /tesco have kept their price at £296 for many months lol.. but out of stock at the moment!!

i havent checked Jessops other *webdeals?* daily but im guessing its probably exactly the same !

:rolleyes:

13. Mark101

Because the man in question considers himself a high flyer with business experience of errrr coffee shops and no doubt coupled with a degree or two he has all the answers. Also the answers have to come from him, nobody else, these people feel they have to make 'their mark' on the company.

14. Donkey

Donkey Well-Known Member

Decided to purchase my first DSLR 2 years ago and wandered into Jessops Northampton where i left shortly afterwards without a Camera and more confused than when i went in.

Did my own research and set off to Jessops once more purely to handle both the Camera's i had narrowed my choice down to.

They managed to open the Glass cabinet, Let me have a play and take my cash.

I later found out that the salesman on my first visit was the store manager and the fact that i was only spending £440 on a Camera was probably why he appeared so disinterested in my enquiry :mad:

I remember asking him if he could do a bit of a deal with a Sandisk 4GB SD Extreem 3 card if i brought the D60 and he said nope, So i purchased the SD Card from Currys for £49.99 on principle....

That seems sooo expensive compared to what they cost now.:eek:

So for me Jessops left a bad taste...

15. Mark101

You tried to buy a memory card from Jessops at their prices? :eek: :eek: :eek:

16. Donkey

Donkey Well-Known Member

Ya, Just shows what i knew way back then :D

I discovered My Memory and havn't looked back :D

17. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Jessops electronic system has confused me constantly from pillar to post. For instance, i am on their in-shop computer system multiple times. Usually, when you make an expensive purchase in shop, they take your details for their system so when you buy again its faster and you can become a regular customer. On two occasions i had vanished from their system and on another occasion the system insisted i pay 40% more than the item was on sale for, so i had to be fed back in as a new customer.

As for the website, i sent a rather lengthily praising message to them asking as to whether they had a particular item, as i could not find it in shop or on their website. The reply was but 11 words long:

"Thanks for the mail.

Sorry we do not stock the item"(edited for anonymity)

"Advice for life"? I think not. Not a word of advice on what similar items i could purchase, not a breath on what was on offer from competitors, not even an explanation as to why they didn't stock the requested item - i mean, they used to be the countries premier camera shop.

My post is full of vitriol and i apologise for that, i do not want jessops to fail and i don't want anyone who works for them to feel like they are public enemy #1. But this is but one example of where the customer experience is going wrong and i doubt any amount of mysterious shoppers can find these particular issues.

I wish you well and hope things work out for you jessops.

Good luck.

18. ikonik12

thats just the point.. over "X"amount of years now.. they have tried this and that and the results have been dire in relation to the business they were in the sepia days!

So the bank shareholders have a tall order to make this fresh attempt at keeping the liquidators from banging the doors down ...
    what i do feel from this forum and the others that touch on jessops movements etc .. theres been damage with regards to the long serving loyal customers .. and now they are trying for the younger market to bail the company out ....
    i too hope it will work for them..
    but there is now a stigma being attached to jessops.( and its been that way for years... and its not just the forum members HERE... that are creating it.. the customer in the highstreet ( like we all are ) have also realised that jessops the company dont really offer anything more insightful/ dedicated with regards to advice and competitive prices ..compared to the internet and a supermarket.

and it seems that even online ..jessops are also making the customer confidence also become shakey too.. with the price deals etc ! and ( to me ) the internet is where they could be making one of the biggest hits of all..... surely????? !!!

if their video interviews and mission statements are anything to go by that are advertised on the news pages of AP.. at least hopefully somebody within the company could read whats been discussed in the forums as the people discussing this and picking it too bits are working for free and are actualy the potential customers they could win back ...but its up to whether they want to show us how great they are as business men or how good they are at listening ....as listening is free And unfortunalty jessops business consultants and marketing plans arent.
    :rolleyes:

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My experience of Jessops has varied. I think that our local Nottingham branch now looks rubbish and not much different to the digital printing setup in Asda. However at the same branch I met a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic assistant a year or so ago; I hope that she is still there. On one occasion I bought a second hand camera case which had been transferred from down south to the Leicester main branch at my request. The price was very good to the extent that the Leicester, rather sniffy, assistant was openly dismissive of the price set by the southern branch.
    Jessops, through their 'order by Internet collect in store' give you the same price in store as on the web; this includes discount codes. Jacobs in a nearby street will not equal its own Internet prices. Perhaps we should give Jacobs some grief for a change.
    Sometimes Jessops does beat it's competitors, sometimes not. That's just a consequence of a normal competitive market. Locally we also have Calumet, which is often expensive but generally very knowledgeable and helpful, and LCE which is ok. My recent purchases have been over the Internet with Speed Graphic, SRB-Griturn, Warehouse Express, and Park. Its obviously a hard life for the retailers and its our function as buyers to keep it that way. I don't trust fleabay and its dodgy far eastern sellers; use them at your own peril.

20. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Hey,

Not going to go on my usual defend Jessops rant, but any particular questions (there are some on here I'm itching to answer!) feel free to pm me...

;)

"Under cover of the hedges, always keeping out of sight"