1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jessops flashes.

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by arcana66, Sep 23, 2002.

1. arcana66

arcana66 Member

Please forgive my ignorance on this matter. I need to get a flash to work with my nikon f65. I can ill afford a speedlight at the moment i am training to be a proffesional photographer in the end and i realy need a flash.
    I have looked at jessops flash and this is the best i found
    320 AUTO FOCUS FLASHGUN NIKON
    ISO 100 = 28

problem is it says that it has TTL metering on it. Does it also do manual? Do i need manual if i have TTL on it? Could i work with only TTL metering?

Thanks or what flash should i look at? Are vivitar any good?

Thaks again

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Is it just me or do I get the feeling I've already answered this question? Ah well, here goes again!
    I reckon the output from the Jessops gun is a bit weedey and that you'd be better off spending a little extra and going for the Centon FH95 also sold by Jessops. It a well speced gun for the price with a healthy guide number of 36 in meters at 100 iso. It has a bounce zoom and swivel head and you can buy a TTL dedicated module for it for an extra £26.00 (the gun on it's own costs £79.90). You will then have the choice of either TTL or computer flash or even full manual if you want. They also sell a power grip for it if you want to look like a real pro!
    If you buy the other gun with just TTL flash then that will do fine but to get the full benefit of TTL flash you really need a meaty guide number or you will be confined to using wide apertures.

BigWill

<font color=blue>Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!<font color=black>

3. albini13

albini13 Well-Known Member

Made in the same place.

4. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Also look at the Vivitar 283, a well made flash, with a bounce head, several auto modes plus manual, has been in production for something like 20 years, and is still a great pice of kit, if you can afford it also look at the Vivitar 285, a little more powerful with a zoom head

Burgy

Its not what you've got, its who you do it to. http://www.pressfotos.co.uk

5. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

been told that ther may be a voltage problem with the 283 on certain modern cameras,.

I'm goin in the darkroom today after a long times absence!

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nope. Other flashes of the vintage of the original 283 might well have trigger voltages that would fry modern camera ciircuitry, but apparantly not the 283 (I checked it out about a year ago when I was considering a second-hand one).

Nick BSRIPN

7. Larry Shone

welli got the info from a canon site,maybe a case of sales talk?

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

More a case of ignorance, I think. Many, possibly most flashguns of that time had dangerously high trigger voltages for modern circuitry. I had also read that the 283 had, but on further research it proved not to be the case - I think I posted the link somewhere on this site, but it might take a while to find - even with the search facility!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Nick BSRIPN

9. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

It really cheeses me off, with all this scaremongering, if you want to believe the Canon hype (Nikon and everyone else also do it) about triggering voltages thats up to you, but propagating unsubstantiated myths is irresponisble.

Very few Flash guns built since the 1980's will cause anyproblems with modern cameras, unless the unit is faulty (in which case even Canon guns could fry Canon Circuits) I use a 22 year old Metz 60 CT1 with EOS1D's and EOS1V's and started out with F1N and A1 I have had multiple Canons nikons etc without issue, I have also owned Vivitar 283's and 285's also no problems over the years

BUrgy

Its not what you've got, its who you do it to. http://www.pressfotos.co.uk

10. Larry Shone

thing is,Jessops warned me of the same thing!

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't actually blame them at all. You try getting the accurate info on trigger voltages of the first (1970s) 283s - it's not easy! It's much more sensible (from the camera manufacturer's perspective) to warn of prospective dangers, especially in this age of the lawsuit. You only have to look at those preposterous awards someone posted the other day to begin to understand where they're coming from!

Nick BSRIPN

12. Larry Shone

4000th post,way hay!

13. BigWill

......cause they're fed the same guff from the "big five" who have a vested intrest in selling their own product!

BigWill

14. Larry Shone

made me stop and think tho

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I really think the reason is more to do with being defensive against a product liability claim rather than just trying to sell more dedicated stuff. Believe me, it's a much bigger motivator than a few ancilliary sales!

Nick BSRIPN

16. Larry Shone

BTW,I reckon the 283 must be the most popular and biggest selling flashgun of all time,just about everyone had one(apart from me)

17. BigWill

I've got one! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

18. Larry Shone

I bet you have!
    Well , Im off to walk the doggy with my camera, then when i come back i have washing up and laundry to do(housework!)

19. sinister

sinister Well-Known Member