1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

January 2010 - FristView Comments

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by huwevans, Dec 31, 2009.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

This thread is for comments arising from the January 2010 picture thread.

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Re: January 2010 - Clearing the snow

Fabulous Picture. Had Caro and I in stitches :)

3. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I agree a wonderful photo, it has a timeless quality and the sort of character picture you don't see of kids any more.

4. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Re: First Moon Shot

Good effort, the Full Moon is the most difficult because of lack of shadows ... try again when the Moon is about half!

5. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

yep brought a huge smile to my face...memories of when my kids were small

6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Never had any kids but it made me smile too. Excellent picture, well worth being woken up at 5:30 for!

7. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Re: January 2010 - beejaybee Mars

Great Mars shot there BJ! I've noticed it getting quite prominent and see it most nights when walking the dog- a bright orange star in the south East. Ufortunately its been far too cloudy to get any shots here!

8. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Just thought I'd add to the FristView comment thread by saying that I may well try to contribute to this again as I seem to be finding the photography bug again after an absence of most of the last year.

And if anyone is interested, my August submission from last year

[​IMG]

now looks like this

[​IMG]

We begin work on the garden on Monday.

9. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Re: January 2010 - View From A Hide

I spent a good part of today bird watching at Marton Mere on the outskirts of Blackpool. This place first sparked my interest in nature conservation. I used to work in the office in the background of the photo, National Savings where Premium Bonds live. Every lunchtime I'd have a walk around the Mere and escape for an hour or so, never imagining I would change careers.

10. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

It's looking good David, I especially like the espresso pot on the stove. :D

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Re: January 2010 - Where's that hay?

Cracking shot.

some real hum dingers this month :)

12. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Thanks Richard. It's Claire that's the coffee drinker in this house. I'm a tea drinker myself. :)

Oh! And this is what it looks like when I take some care over the shot. :D

[​IMG]

13. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Folks,
    Please would you comment on the colour balance of my moon shot. Last night I posted it without a great deal of thought or adjustment so I was surprised this morning to find that it looks a bit 'brown' to me.

I'd be glad of any comments on the appearance for you.

MickLL

14. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

As one with a great deal of experience in this matter, it looks fairly accurate to me. The reflected light from the moon really is considerably redder than sunlight; the eye tends to see it as slightly bluish because the receptors in the eye that respond to red light don't work as well at low light levels (look up "Purkinje Effect").

As the moon is fairly even toned, I usually shoot it in monochrome. But, if you want a shock, go back to the raw image & turn the saturation way up ... one of the maria ("seas" or dark patches) is a different colour to the others, though the difference is very hard to impossible to see with the eye. The lunar surface samples returned by Apollo and the unmanned Russian sample return missions show that there is a difference in the chemical composition of Mare Tranquilliatis, probably deriving from unusual properties in the asteroid that slammed into the Moon creating the mare basin almost 4 billion years ago.

15. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Didn't cosmologists determine some time ago that the 'colour' of the universe was, in fact, beige...

16. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

No, it's deep into the infrared / microwave region of the spectrum ... the 2.7K background radiation, signature of the Big Bang.

17. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the positive comments on this one.

We have now returned the young person to his official keepers (our son and his partner) so look forward to some peace in the mornings. :rolleyes:

18. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Just shows, you can't believe everything you read. :eek:

19. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well, that's it for another month. Thanks to everyone who participated and showed us a little slice of their lives on the 1st of January, 2010. A good turn-out, I think - and let me urge you all to try and keep it up for the rest of the year. See you back here in February. :)

Late-comers, pm me or one of the mods to get the picture thread re-opened, as usual.

[​IMG]