1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've got an exhibition coming up...

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Fen, May 14, 2014.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

As some of you already know, I've been working on a Steampunk Book for my final year project at Uni. The book is finished and has been handed in and I've got to choose the photographs I want to put in to the exhibition. This is the difficult bit... I've been able to narrow it down to six images (out of the 48 in the book), but I need to FIVE for the exhibition.

Hopefully I'll be able to show five, but it might even be only four! Depending on how much wall space I get. So, I'm opening up to your fine people to pick which five images.

Which ones do you think work the best together! Below you'll see all six of them placed together and then a larger version of each one. Not easy... But if you could reply with your choice of images it would be very helpful. For example: 1,2,4,5,6. You could even say why you picked them.

Thank you :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would leave out 4, mostly because I think it's the one that doesn't quite fit as well with the others, but I'm not entirely sure about that beam, either.

3. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

They are all good shots and great conversions.

My reasoning is firstly to find the two that I find the most similar and eliminate one of those. So 2 & 4 - similar goggles, backgrounds, expressions, hats, hair. I would eliminate 4.

From 1,2,3,5,6 I would next, if required, eliminate either 2 or 6 again largely due to retaining maximum variety. 6 has a great background but I find the expression a bit lacking a connection with the viewer, 2 has a great expression but not background. So I'd leave that one to you.

4. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

1/3/2/4/6 nice work

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

No idea on what to leave out, unless it needs to fit a panel style hanging plan? But which uni is it? I am invited to one grad exhibition in June.

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I don't have a set style hanging plan. I've got an estimated wall space of 12ft, although it may be less.

I was thinking of having them in one row equally spaced so that people could look at each of them. At my first FreeRange exhibition three years ago I displayed six of my flower images in two rows of three. But I don't think that would work for these.

Westminster University, for my BA in Photographic Art.

Which one?

Is this for the opening night? (12th June) Or over the Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon?

7. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

stunning photos Fen ...

If I had to pick one out it would be 4 as that one doesn't seem to fit in so well with the others, not that I know anything about this genre

then 1,2,3,6 and if another could be added 5

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I would still follow the panel convention of having inward facing ones at either end and centralised ones in the middle.

Mine is this one: http://www.lccbap14.co.uk/

All interesting stuff, but I have a concern that has nagged me for years about the content and expectation of photography degrees. Will start another thread and I'm sure you'll have the answer.

9. Stevet

Stevet Well-Known Member

hi Fen,

nice images, and hard to pick four, but a couple of observations:

I am struck by the lack of eye contact in 3, but that may be your intention

Re mikes comments about inward facing at each end, you haven't rely got an inward facing one for the LHS - No 3 is facing right but body turned to left - could you reverse number 5 but that has two characters, and would probably be best in the centre (if 5 chosen).

Not much help, I know.

FWIW, when I first looked at all six together, number 3 was the one that looked out of place to me.

But all fabulous images! well done.

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Possible replacement for No.5

[​IMG]

11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

The original nbr 5 is my personal favourite (somehow the characters remind me of Billy Dainty (front) and Ronnie Barker. So please don't substitue it for the alternative - which for me has less impact.

12. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Forgot to say leave 'Lady Gaga' at nbr 1 in at all cost. Her image transfixes me.

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Lady Gaga!!!

That is Lady Elizabeth Blackheart and she is on the cover of the book :)

http://www.fenris.co.uk/BookPreview/index.html

14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Two other possible images... replacements for No.3 and No.5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Not keen on 3b tbh- something about the face

16. LesleySM

Worked out what I don't like about 3b- the facial expression looks a bit "Carry on" filmish if you get my drift or as my friend UKSimes would say "Oohhh errr..Matron!"

17. LesleySM

If you don't use number 1....

I will turn up at your exhibition in a burkha and no hat- I'd love to know how you did it as it looks like it belongs on the front of a really high art comic book- the lady's costume is utterly amazing and not cheap I bet- most of the outfit I'm wearing to your exhibition is custom although mostly because the off the peg did't have the colours I wanted (not because it was too small okay!) but each item is a work of art and so well made it'll outlast me. These outfits are projects of mine I'm currently wondering where to get a handbag to finish it off and of course if I buy you a few beers I'd like you to take some photos- if anyone can make me look good you can ...You might want to sign up to an advanced editing course after reading that last line!

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

5, 2, 3 & 6 for me. Would like to include 1 and/or 5 but think pose and/or framing is weaker. Do you have any alternative poses, spacing against background for No.1?

She's slightly turned away from camera, bustline is disappearing into background and the shop name (and whole background) which could support the main subject is fractured & jumbled and competing with it. What the lady has on her arm is slightly lost as well.

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I think No.1 is a given as she is on the front cover of the book :)

Just to reassure you... I was one of the original beta testers for Photoshop in the late 1980s. Been using it ever since :D

I might be able to slightly adjust the background position.

Strangely enough... She isn't anywhere near the background in that photo, they are 235 miles apart! :)

This is the original:
    [​IMG]

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oh dear, I can feel several £Ks of AD-ing coming on here {if I was employed in advertising, that is :rolleyes:} so:

IVO your adv. A:pS skills, please can you:
    1a. shorten the dagger extension of the 'cuff' to get it away from the edge of the 'coat'/bustier/whatever and possibly move it further to right so it doesn't interrupt clothing line up middle. That may shorten it too much, so it will need some care in placing, either:eek:r! A little more contrast and 'edge' to the blade would be good, too, and
    1b. lighten that whole cuff thing a fraction
    2. take the little finger of the right hand out to left, extend it somewhat, and the forefinger a fraction down & to the right
    3. darken down the bottom third of the shoulder bag
    4. add contrast to her good (left) eye and lighten it quite a bit
    5. ease a little contrast and differentiation into the shadow under the chin and the bloody(?) dribble

then

6. move the shop background back and her forward taking care where that right hand falls and also what happens to the two halters in the shop window
    7. you may need to shift the halter strap/horse brasses or maybe eliminate it (although I'd prefer not) if it clashes too much with edge of left arm
    8. I would play with the relative overall light:dark ratios of woman & shop front/window. Probably a moot point whether you keep her as dark as possible and lighten the shop or vice versa. Problem is if time is tight as always, there are a million variations ... :(

I've got to whizz off & do tasks & prepare/travel to a judging session, so I'll come back tomorrow. My favourite is still Mr Croop & Mr Van Der Maar. If you get limited to 4 images exhibited, do you have another female at all? A sort of 'Nancy' type figure {as in 'Oliver'} in your collection?