1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's not fair!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigWill, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Britcat100

Britcat100 Active Member

Not knowing Slimey too well at all doesn't help me in this bet but I'll lay a tenner on no.....God, to be resusitated after Claudia....I think I'll manage the rest of the night now....

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will,

Have thought about MF, but still feel I'm a beginner at this photography lark, I've really only been doing photography for 4 years now, well thats when I got my first 35mm SLR, before that it was a 35mm compact point and shoot. Besides between a new second SLR, grip, flash gun, New PC, Printer, Scanner and other photo connected ancilliaries I reckon I've spent near £3.5K since February, much more and I think the bank manager will want to have a wee chat, mind you there is a new 85mm f1.4 (£700) lens, a 300mm f4 (£850) lens (Minolta AF) and a darkroom B&W exposure meter (£175) I'm awfully interested in, and as has been mentioned earlier Crimble is fast approaching, so for all you kind generous wonderfull giving photography persons out there, if you could let santa know what a poor extremelly skint RonM really needs, I would be most grateful.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=red>Ron (will try anything to get freebies, it might work once) M FRIPN </font color=red>
    PS used red cause its Santas favourite colour!

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Typical Scotsman, feigning poverty as always! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif Ok, forget the darkroom exposure meter, you don't need it. Use a test strip like all the rest of us. Take that £175 in your sweaty little paw and go buy yourself a nice secondhand Yashicamat 124G TLR with that money. 6x6cm negs on a budget! Should warm the cockles of any Scotsmans heart! Now you can do MF as WELL as 35mm!
    Big(Loves telling other people how to spend their money)Will

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Or get a decent TLR - a Rolleiflex T or a Rolleicord Vb for about the same dosh.
    (Actually, the Yashica's pretty good, but you can do better. A Mamiya TLR with interchangeable lenses is in this price range as well).

Nick CRIPN

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Stop whingeing - you might as well just go to bed.

Nick CRIPN

6. BigWill

Didn't think you would get a Rollei or a Mamiya for that kind of dosh! Well I suppose you might get a C220 BODY for that but you'd be lucky to get a lens with it as well. Still think the Yashicamat is the bargain basement model. Those others are pitched a little higher price wise. And don't forget, you get linked shutter cocking/wind on AND a built in (if slightly inaccurate) meter on the Yashica. (Ok Ok, so you can't change the lenses, but for the money, it's the tops in my book.)
    BigWill

7. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will,

To be honest I would probably go the Bronica ETRSi (have handled one, liked the feel) or the Mamiya route (Like the look) if I were to go MF, No half measures me!. Just can't justify it to myself yet! Don't feel I know enough or am good enough (the peepers certainly aren't, thats why I like AF), but when and if I decide thats what I want to do then I will do it.

<font color=orange>Ron (Dithering) M FRIPN

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You can certainly get a C3 and lens, or a Rolleicord Vb, or often a Rolleiflex T. These days you can also get a Bronica ETRC or Mamiya M645J if that approach is preferred for just about this price (no more than £200, anyway).

Nick CRIPN

9. BigWill

..but then I would have to satisfy Claudia's carnal lusts as she awaits me provocatively sprawled across the satin sheets of my king size bed!
    Big(You're right Nick, I must be tired, I'm starting to fantasize again!)Will

10. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Nick& Will,

There's a new guy looking for advice about Rolliecords and Nikon FM's? in the Help forum, know nothing therefore couldn't help maybe you pair can

RonM

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But the TLR neg is bigger!

Nick CRIPN

12. BigWill

Funny you should say that because that's what Ron was thinking of getting when (and if) he moves up to medium format. The only thing puts me off the 6x4.5 format cameras is that they are as much use as a chocolate teapot without a prism for "portrait" format shots and this invariably puts up the cost of what otherwise would seem like a bargain camera.
    BigWill

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I know, but I'm off to bed now - I'll help him tomorrow (i.e. how to tell the difference between a V, Va and Vb - it's all in the serial no. but I can't find the info now!).

Nick CRIPN

14. BigWill

Over to you Nick. I know sod all about Rolleicords although the Nikon is easy enough.
    BigWill

15. BigWill

...and be quiet going up those stairs, we don't want to waken Sam now do we!
    BigWill

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Very true. I have a very elderly M645 with 55mm and 210mm lenses, but I had to buy a prism in the end. The WLF is fantastic for lanscape format, but very tricky in portarait - especially with a moving subject. Nice camera, though.

Nick CRIPN

17. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will,

Any MF kit I go for will have to have a prism, I can read upside down but I can't 'compose' upside down in a viewfinder especially a WLF, like a PC my brain would go into (re-)boot mode and give me a headache in more ways than one. Looking at things upside down or the wrong way round just confuses the hell out of my brain, what there is of it, I just can't seem to get it to think/work in that way.

Ron (simple processes only) M

18. BigWill

Ron, old Slimey would be a good man to contact re the Nikon FM as he had one of those until recently. Nick will sort the guy out re. the Rolleicords in the morning. I'm off to "Uncle Ned" now as well. Claudia baby, keep your motor running, BigWill is on his way up now!
    Big(To sleep, perchance to dream!)Will

19. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

You're right Will, a 645 SLR like the Mamiya is a pain for 'Portrait' shots without a prism. An alternative would be a rangefinder like the Fuji GS645 which is just as easy to use in either orientation. The only problem is the fixed lens.

Geoff

20. BigWill

What about a Pentax 6x7 then Ron. Now that's what I call a negative, 6x7! Knock your eye out and 35mm type handling as well. Forget those puny little 6x4.5 negs. Think BIG! Now I'm definetly off to bed. Stop keeping me up. Claudia will go off the boil you know!
    BigWill