1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Its been done to death

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Brian, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

[​IMG]

Zou and Terrywoodenpic like this.
  2. spudalicious

spudalicious Well-Known Member

I think it's cool as heck. Very cool scene. I love the contrast of the edgy architectural design and the normal everyday couple walking their dog. I'm very embarrassed to admit it but, I'm not familiar with the scene, and I feel I should be with a thread title like "its been done to death" lol. Well, there's no hiding it, I don't get out much ;)

Nice shot!

3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

It's the Lowry Gallery in Salford. Probably as photographed as that wretched molehill in Cumbria with the unpronounceable name.

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

. . .that wretched molehill in Cumbria with the unpronounceable name.

Would you be referring to the Samuel Taylor Colridge - the rock climber and occasional poet?
    Mind you, for unpronounceable molehills, Wales takes some beating. (Y Lliwedd, Carnedd Llewelyn).

BTW, I like your image very much, but I trust you didn't get hit with car park charges on Salford Quays. Seven years or so ago, attending a wedding up top of the Lowry Centre, we returned to the car park to find we'd racked up £12 in charges, and my guess is they won't have gone down since then.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No, car parking is free if you spend more then fifty pounds in the retail outlet. Mind you didn't find out until AFTER we had paid.:(

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not done to death round my way Brian... This is the first picture I've seen of the building in it's entirety and I like it. :cool:

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Being Salford, you were quite lucky your car was there that long to accrue parking charges.:)

Brian, did you go into the Lowry exhibition too?

8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

For anyone interested.

This snap was taken with a Fuji XT1, 14mm lens in Raw. Loaded into Lightroom and passed unmodified into Nik Pro. I then used a preset, " Fine Art or something similar, couple of tiny tweeks re contrast and brightness, Pan F film type was then selected with some grain. The file was then sharpened for ink jet using the Nik tool. Back into Lightroom for a slight vignette and print. Printed out on a Marrutt profiled SC 600 Epson printer using advanced black and white " warm " tone mode then printed on Marrutt 's Ultra Pearlescent Hi-White paper with Marrutt bulk ink cartridges.

And the result, it ain't arf bad. I think at last I can say I am happy to use digital.

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Not this time Nige. Have been before but not very keen on Lowry.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was actually quite surprised how diverse his art was. Like most, I assume, I thought all he did was matchstalk men. I do like the Lowry although we mainly use it for theatre. I like the photo too by the way. I only live 30 mins away tops and yet I have no photo's of the place.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Nice. I like it. I just downloaded the now-free nik software thing. Passed a couple of images through silver ef-ex pro and decided they looked too 'done' for my liking but I'm sure I'll find a use for it at some point. Yours doesn't look 'done' to the same extent. Perhaps it's in the tweaks?!

12. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I have been using Silver Efex for some time. I generally find I need to wind back the presets a bit, it's the same with Lightroom presets.

I actually paid student rate for Silver Efex then got the rest free when Google took over. Never found much use for the others.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I must say that is a half decent shot... even the figures are on the way to lowryesk with their slight wideangle distortion.
    As one would expect from a Fuji the tonality is excellent.
    The vignette grabs the attention into the centre nicely.

14. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Not much in the way of wide angle distortion, the Fuji 14mm is one of the truly great lenses. The cladding right at the edge of this uncropped image doesn't for me have any stretch.I think the slightly unusual perspective is due to the camera being held at almost ground level and tilted slightly up. Almost a "dogs eye view" a la Erwin thingy . Then who was it that started all the garbage about " the decisive moment, with a picture of someone jumping a puddle. Look at doggies right paw, just clear of the ground, decisive moment, no sheer luck, makes the picture for me.

15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

When I mentioned wide angle distortion, perhaps I should have said wide angle viewpoint distortion. Which has nothing to do with lens quality, but optical geometry and is inevitable. It is what gives some wide angle shots their "Look" and some would say their appeal.
    It is strange that the more pictures you take the luckier you get.
    Now that I am of the age when my hand is less steady I take many shots in bursts of three. Although they are only a fraction of a second apart it can be very enlightning how different the results can be. The new fuji finders are fast enough to give an almost seemless view in burst mode.

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Can't comment really, its in the exhibition lounge. :p LOL

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

If you read our old friend Huw Evans guide to usage of the "exhibition room" you will see that general discussion re lighting composition etc is not frowned upon. In fact Huw uses the description " Exhibition Lounge"

I merely post the occasional snap in order to provoke/ instigate some form of general photographic chat. Rarely does it work, photography per se seems to be hardly significant on this forum, unless of course it follows the " which lens should I buy" format.

Anyway,always believed that rules were made to be broken.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Having had my eye on the merits of a Fuji XF 14mm f2.8, (the quality of which is amply demonstrated here), yesterday I did the deed and found one in the locale for £400. It is in mint condition and I will be giving it an exhaustive outing at the earliest opportunity.

Geren likes this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have long wrestled with the purpose of the exhibition lounge, but have satisfied myself, if nobody else, that the Appraisal Gallery is for "Here, I made this, how can I make it better..." and the Exhibition Lounge is for "Here I made this, let's talk about it." I don't see how 'talking about it' has to preclude suggestions on how to make it better or expressing the opinion that it's not to one's taste. I know not everyone will agree but if we can't do those things here, then all we really can do is either say 'love it' or ignore it and then silences start to speak volumes and the exercise becomes more than a little pointless.

20. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

A splendid notion.

Mike the only lenses I have owned that give roughly the same view, albeit full frame are the Leitz 19mm Elmarit R and the 21mm Super Angulon M,each of which probable cost ten times the price of the Fuji. I would state categorically that neither can hold a candle to the little Fuji. You are in for a photographic thrill. Just remembered I did have a 20mm Nikkor but that was certainly one best forgotten.Blow it, writing this recall I also had the 21mm Viogtlander, not bad but certainly not in the Fuji league.

In anticipation I have taped up my 18-55mm zoom at the 23mm position. Why? Trying to see if I can justify the purchase of the 23mm prime. Trouble is I know whatever the outcome the 23mm is going to be the next purchase.