1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been a while....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gazraa, Nov 6, 2006.

1. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

It's been a fair while since I last visited this forum....... come on, admit it, you missed me didn't you..... ok, you didn't, fair enough :)

After using the great Nikon Coolpix 4500 for a while, I finally bit the bullet and now own the Sony Alpha 100 DSLR, with a beercan in the post the expensive hobby has once again scared my wallet into submission.

So I just thought I'd say hello, and no doubt I'll be asking lots of newbie questions in the next few weeks :)

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Hi Garry,

Been keeping the occasional tab on you over at DynaxDigital, glad to hear you've got a 'beercan' have got to admit the price of them has been rocketing recently on e-bay, hope you got yours for reasonable dosh, just be wary of the weight. :D

3. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Hi Garry and welcome home (from a fellow Nikon Coolpix 4500 user) :D

Hope your gonna stay a while? Happy shooting with the Alpha :cool:

Chris [​IMG] ...sharing a Casio z850 with my daughter at the mo but will get the little Panasonic LX2 next summer...

4. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

Hi Ron, yeah I have been watching the beercan prices over the last couple of weeks on ebay, but with so many people after them it would be hard to win an auction for sensible money. Luckily I found one listed at an second hand dealer, complete with caps and hood for £99. Going by what I've seen on ebay, that's not a bad price and it's meant to be 'very good' condition.... so fingers crossed, it should arrive tomorrow....well later today. Just realised it's 2am! Better get some sleep.

I've got a feeling the coolpix might have to go to make room for a macro lens.... but we'll see. Maybe after christmas.

5. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

That's a coincidence - Coolpix 4500 and Sony A100 with beecan - that's is my digital line up too (well KM 5D not Sony) The coolpix is technically a great little camera - it's just so slow and complicated. I still use it for digiscoping but mainy my wife has it as a compact and I use a film compact (Ricoh GR1). The beercan is great - they are old lenses so check aperture operation and glass carefully, it far outperforms my later Minolta zoom which is now relegated to the back of the cupboard. The other main lenses I use are KM 17-35 f2.8, Sigma EX DG 28-70 f2.8, Sigma 105 f2.8 macro and Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO plus 1.4 EX DG teleconverter. It's a reasonable range which can give good results.