1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its arrived!

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by TimF, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Re: Its arrived! / meter problem/Steve Byford ...

... is going to send a new (1.35v Zinc/Air) battery. That'll save a few bob at the w/e! Hope it all pans out OK, otherwise its back to bonny Scotland for a replacement body.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

3. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Re: Daylight

Oh well - we shall see what happened in Derby today with my ISO dial adjustment. I also bought a Wein cell which perhaps will be the best answer inless I can get some mercuries. The guy in LCE in Derby said they were available from the Channel Island companies. (?)

4. TimF

This is getting truly bizarre!

The replacement Zinc Air cell (Memorie MX625 1.35v) arrived, so into the camera it went. Twenty minutes later (as recommended on the packaging for the battery to activate), I switched on the SRT and .....nothing happened at all. The battery appeared to be completely dead. I then put it into the Canon FTb, and it works perfectly! What the hell is going on here?

The SRT still functions OK with the Canon's Varta cell or its own "dead" battery inside, so this has got me beat I must say. Any ideas anyone?

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

5. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

That is really weird! What does the SRT's battery check function do with the air cell installed?

Geoff

6. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

"do with the air cell installed?"

Farts?/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Brian.

7. TimF

Stays rooted to the top of the scale Geoff. No movement at all. /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

8. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Very strange, Tim. I haven't tried my Wein Cell in the 100X yet - I shall report back when I have.

Clive

9. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Been thinking a bit more, Tim. If the battery is working, and the camera is working - it must be poor contact. I wonder if the air cell is slightly smaller than the Varta alkaline? The other possibility is unmentionable /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

10. TimF

Well, its always a possibility Clive. The Memorie cell is about the same size as a silver oxide cell, and comes with a plastic spacer to get it up to size.

That said, it works fine in the Canon FTb, and also in my Nikkormat FTn, and the batteries from both those work fine in the SRT101. As for "height" (ie from the - to the &#43 side) if anything I'd say the Air cell is marginally taller.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

11. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Mmmm, curiouser and curioser! /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

Geoff

12. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Yes the Wein cell seems a bit bigger as well - so ?could the cell be so tight that it stops the air getting in? I wonder. The Wein cell works fine - and is giving correct readings. I once bought 2 third-party batteries for my Canon G2: same make - one fitted and the other didn't!

Clive

13. TimF

I don't think so Clive. The little plastic ring is of similar dimensions to the wide ring on a normal mercury battery, and the two holes in the battery cover are fine - not clogged up or anything.

I'm waiting to hear from Steve still ATOW. If he says send the camera back I shall do that, although its disappointing to say the least. Ffordes do have an SRT303 on the site at present, so I might ask for that instead if it comes to that.

Of course, if Steve hasn't been in contact before Saturday I could always buy a Wein cell to see how that goes. Somehow I doubt I'll find one in Hitchin! /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That 303 was my safety net! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Nick BSRIPN

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Your safety net now appears to be 'buying as many cameras and lenses as possible within the budget.' Well, it's certainly one approach! :)

Huw Evans.

www.huwevans.freeuk.com

16. TimF

buying as many cameras and lenses as possible within the budget.

Why change the habits of a lifetime, eh! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Er, yes! Not the one I had in mind originally, either - but then it really shows just how much you can get for the money. But I was just a trifle worried about the zooms, so it began to make more sense.

Nick BSRIPN