1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with reading Canon EOS 70D RAW Codec

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Ddraig-goch, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Ddraig-goch

Ddraig-goch Active Member

Hi guys, I hope that this is the right part of the forum for this, but if I have got it wrong then please accept my apologies.

I recently purchased a new Canon EOS 70D and have been getting on very well with it. I usually shoot RAW images and then used Elements to process them and convert to jpegs. However, I have found that Elements 11 (the version I am currently using) will not read the codec from the 70D.

I spoke to a very helpful guy at Canon who sent me the very latest version of the Canon EOS Solutions disk, which overcomes the immediate problem. However, are any of you aware if the later versions of Elements that are currently available will read the codec for the 70D please?

I did try the Trial version of Lightroom 6 which will read the codec, but have had serious issues with getting the Full version of Lightroom 6 to work, as it keeps crashing as soon as I launch it. Hence looking at whether or not an upgrade of Elements will be more beneficial.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

first determine ACR compatibility https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

then elements version https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

Adobe should sort out LR 6 problems because it is a subscription service - did you check you have the minimum computer spec?

3. Ddraig-goch

Hi Pete,

Many many thanks for your help - why couldn't Adobe give me that very helpful information?

You have confirmed that Lightroom 6 should work with this camera (which the trial version did), but you have also provided me with the information to allow me to ascertain which version of Elements will support the 70D code.

All of this is far more than Adobe's customer support have done! They didn't event mention that this information was available on their website.

Kind regards,

Steve

4. Ddraig-goch

To close this thread off - this morning I returned the copy of Lightroom 6 that I purchased, back to the PC World store I purchased it from.

The guy who served me this morning, happily refunded my money, but also mentioned that I was not the first to return a copy of Lightroom 6 because of issues. However, he was unable to say whether others had returned the software because of the same issue as I have encountered.