1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isolation Daily Photograph Theme. Part 15. June 2021

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by dream_police, May 30, 2021.

1. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

It is real, you credit me with greater photoshop skills than I possess.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Liked this yesterday when viewing on my phone, but today with proper display on the PC all I can say is wow, fantastic.

dream_police likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was all for the fake too. Where is it?

Zou likes this.
  4. dream_police

Now spending ages searching for copy towers around the world. China maybe. Google street view doesn't work from there though. China have copied so much European city buildings, Eiffel Tower, Tower Bridge etc.

Actually moving away from china now we have found other photos!

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well it is then a real photo of a fake setup.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Looking around on streetview, and the lamps match. Guessing it is just an oldie before the current car-less setup.

7. dream_police

It must be old then. I have been to Paris several times and don't remember it ever having a road. I was last there in the early 2000's and we walked under it. My wife was last there 3 -4 years ago and could walk under it. Looking at old images though, Paris is looking correct.

Well I never. Myself and the wife swear there has never been a road under it. Quite clearly we were wrong!

It has helped pass the time and with some education thrown in.

Edit there is still confusion though!

Catriona likes this.
  8. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

You lot are un believable, it is Paris, I took the photo. I was working in St. Cloud for four day, finished early and headed into Paris on the metro to take a few snaps before coming back on the EuroStar. If I can remember, at the weekend I will find the rest of the photos I took on that day and post them in the lounge.

dream_police likes this.
  9. dream_police

When was it, Keith?

10. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

It was 15th August 2014
    [​IMG]StrasbourgSaintDenis by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
    That is the only other photo on Face Book that I can get to at the moment, now I know the date the rest of them will be easy to find on the PC at home.

11. dream_police

Is it a perspective thing then, in that the tower (which in the photo the footprint looks considerably smaller than it is)? Out of interest, does that road run under it, or is it again a perspective thing and it was actually pedestrianised as I am convinced it would have been?
    Confused.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The streetview image I looked at is 2018, and you can see construction in progress to pedestrianise it.

13. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Yes it is perspective, there is no traffic under the tower as it happens SNCF were holding a riot under the tower when I arrived but in a French way they had their bonfire and set off some flairs before packing up and dispersing in time for lunch.
    I had wanted to take photographs of the fountains that used to be along the boulevard that runs from the tower to the military college but I found them to be filled in and planted in a very English public park way. This was taken from the Jardin du Trocadero end of the Pont d'lena which is still a drivable public road, sadly I had to look at Google maps to get the street names :(

14. PeteRob

Then it was a setup. The Eiffel Tower does not have a road running through it. Advertising shoot for those yellow things. Must be aimed at Americans. UPS vans in Europe pretty rare as are tourist gismos titled in English in Paris.

15. dream_police

Thanks. We hadn’t gone completely mad then. I have walked under it several times, my wife has photos from 2018 when she was last there and it was as we remembered pedestrianised with the park near it.

16. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Well that has been more fun than watching the tennis. :) It would have been taken on a Canon G9 or G11 so no long lenses to mess with the perception of depth.
    I am sure I took pictures of the mini Statue of Liberty on it's little island in the Seine, not how people usually see images of that monument. :(

dream_police likes this.
  17. PeteRob

Last time I was there was 2011 and it was pedestrianised.

edit. I just went upstairs and dug out the photos.

It is pedestrianised beneath but there is a road that runs up to it. Going senile. Click through for high res.

[​IMG]DPP Day 1 6 by Pete, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Done_rundleCams likes this.
  18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

There's a socking great road goes straight over the river to the Trocadero. Always been there. This is looking east, not west.

zx9r likes this.
  19. PeteRob

after all that I had a look at 'E" and found some eggs - possibly one of the worst pics I have taken

[​IMG]BV9R1713.jpg by Pete, on Flickr