1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isolation Daily Photo Challenge - Part Eight (01/11/2020 to 30/11/2020)

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by dream_police, Oct 31, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I’d also like to add that I put it through a filter to make my foot more horrible looking.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

So you are not really freezing? Thank goodness for that.

3. Catriona

Even without a filter, I still have two (one on each foot) red big toes. Darned Raynauds.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

AP Body part.jpg
    Who said anything about the "body" having to be human?

Catriona likes this.
  5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Not necessarily; that is if one has one's footwear handmade. (As of course, so many forumites do not.)

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

I remember getting some boots made when I was in London. It was a place that made fabulous footwear for pop stars etc. I think it was in Shepherds Bush, but I can't remember exactly. My boots were in soft calf leather, pale tan, and fitted perfectly! Never had another pair like them.

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I remember Timothy Whites..........

I'll get my coat

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

I didn't!

9. Catriona

Comfort. Cosy for bedtime reading.

ap comfort cardy.jpg

10. Catriona

Comfort for feet.

ap comfort slippers.jpg

11. dream_police

Old fashioned comfort. An old chair, probably Victorian, in the process of being stripped back ready for reupholstering. Can't see many DFS/Ikea chairs being around in 100+ years!

[​IMG]old chair by Nigel G, on Flickr

Geren, miked and Catriona like this.
  12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

AP020010.jpg

AP020043.jpg
    Who said 'only human comfort?'

IvorETower, Geren and Catriona like this.
  13. Catriona

Wow. Wool stuffing and ? It looks too fine for straw, but is it? Doesn't look as if it would sag easily. Proper job. That wool looks like the wool insulation we had pumped up to our loft in our house in London. Even then I didn't like fibre glass!

PS Is it horse hair?

14. dream_police

It looks like fine wood shavings. I'll ask Sarah later. How much of that, if any, will remain, I don't know. She would like to keep it I think, but it also depends on the integrity of the springs and whether it all needs stripping back to the frame.
    It has already been recovered at some point and a more modern covering placed over the top of the seat pad, but with the original underneath.

[​IMG]chair by Nigel G, on Flickr

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    Geren and Catriona like this.
  15. Catriona

Oh yes, I can see that. Thanks!
    Ever curious Kate. :)

dream_police likes this.
  16. dream_police

She's got to get a move on though. She is just finishing up a big job, then she has to create some more stock. We have 2 of those chairs which could do with getting done, hence why she has started the strip back process, which has taken several hours so far, at home rather than in the workshop.
    There is a chance they (the cooperative she is in) will have a takeover of a shop in Manchester City centre (prime location) for a few days in December so could do with some decent pieces to sell.

I don't think people really have an understanding of how much work goes into it and hence why it can be quite expensive. She is honest with people who want a modern piece recovering from say Ikea. She tells them it would be cheaper to go and buy another new mass produced piece. I have seen inside pieces from Next and Laura Ashley. They look so shoddy, chipboard, bits of wood and cardboard.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

That would be great if they have a shop pre-Christmas.
    Yes, people don't realise what work it takes to refurbish an old piece of furniture - which in my view - is so worth it! It's a throw-away society who wants it cheap (and nasty).

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Same person that let a bungalow be built in the sight line of our war memorial. Annoys me every. single. time.

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

That's gorgeous. Looks like ebony!
    What a job!

dream_police likes this.
  20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

There is a burn test for identifying textiles; generally speaking, synthetics melt, whilst natural fibres smoulder/burn, then produce a form of ash. The odour produced is an additional identifier. Take a look here:

http://www.museumtextiles.com/uploads/7/8/9/0/7890082/fiber-identification-by-burning.pdf

One of the first synthetic fabrics was produced in France as "Artificial Silk" in 1891, but in 1900 its manufacture was banned because it was being used by people wanting to bump off their wealthy relatives and was subsequently called "Mother-in-law silk". This material was cotton soaked in nitrocellulose - a variant of gun cotton ...

Catriona likes this.